Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scunthorpe v Charlton 2017 post-match views

Comments

• Options

Sigh. Charlton losing always feels like a punch in the face.

Christmas is coming and the smell of mulled wine, spiced cider and excitement gently pollutes the air.

And then Charlton lose, and I'm reminded just how much I hate (in no particular order) Roland and his sidekick, football, life, the cold, people in general, pretty much everything.

Hey ho

And I thought we were getting on quite well?!
  • Options

Seems it wasn’t a complete disaster. We lost away from home to a team in good form and one that will be there or there abouts come the reckoning. Probably not our first choice eleven either.

Wake up call and timely reminder to the owner and coaching staff that January is going to be an important month.

Wake up call to Duchalet?
    Erm honestly Shooters......do you think he gives a flying f***!
  • Options
    That second one seems to defy the laws of physics, the way it's going way off target then suddenly swerves in, a worldy
  • Options
    How did we lose that ? Was the best team but with no penetration.
    2 wonder goals - could maybe fault Amos for wall for first, but second noone would have stopped- a stonking strike. Aside from those Scunthorpe were shit.We werent much better.
  • Options
    I never expect us to win at norvern backwaters in winter.

Sadly most of this league seems up that way
  • Options
    Win Tuesday and not too much damage done I don’t think anyone seriously thought we would be top 2, we’ve faced 2 promo rivals and conceded 5 and scored 0 so take from that what you will, think we’re thin wjth the squad but then we all knew that, the guy that runs our twitter account is quite irritating keep banging on about how magnificent there goals were and we played well etc, doesn’t matter we lost 2-0 points on the board count. Must take our chances and get a striker in jan josh can’t do it all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2017

How did we lose that ? Was the best team but with no penetration.
    2 wonder goals - could maybe fault Amos for wall for first, but second noone would have stopped- a stonking strike. Aside from those Scunthorpe were shit.We werent much better.

I thought we played some lovely stuff and were the better team and certainly the classier throughout.
    Two goals came against the run of play and both out of the blue.
    Two nil flattered them.
    We did not deserve to lose this game on both footballing ability and effort.
    Simply a bad day at the office.........shit happens!
  • Options
    Nothing to overreact too, just a bad day for us against an in form team, maybe a reminder that we are a good League 1 team but not a great League 1 team yet, we need some extra quality to arrive in January if we are going to really go for an automatic place and avoid the lottery of the playoffs.
  • Options

Cheer up we've already won at Rotherham, Oldham, Fleetwood and Bradford.
  • Options

Cheer up we've already won at Rotherham, Oldham, Fleetwood and Bradford.
    I know, I was being tongue in cheek and meant historically rather than this season.

If I'm honest, I never expect Charlton to win full stop!
    I never thought I'd see the day, when Golfie is looking like one of our more optimistic posters.
    This was our first league defeat since September 16th, thanks to 2 great strikes, against the form team of the division, who have won 6 on the bounce :wink:
  • Options

SDAddick said:

How bad was Marshall's miss? If we'd gone 1-0 up, I suspect we'd have got more as they chased the game. We desperately need a clinical finisher in January.

Bad. Again. He was clean through, as he was against MK Dons, and let the keeper pounce on him with a poor touch.

Though all around he was very poor today. His crossing was anywhere from erratic to awful. And he's now missed a fair few chances. Nothing terrible that can't be undone with a couple goals, and after such a long layoff it's completely reasonable that it takes a while to get back up to speed. But I think he's gotten off a little easy given the stick Ben Reeves has gotten (not wrongly). Both were out for a long time and both are making their way back to form and full fitness.
    there's a reason Marshall has spent his time knocking around the lower leagues. He's not very good. He's 32 now, nothing's going to change.
    He's 30
  • Options
    Unlucky, realistically I think our way up is play offs, early days but that's how I see it. Few points ahead of Pboro and Pompey, hopefully get the points from them games, get out of sight a bit more and go from there
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Also since JJ said we hadn't let a goal in in 20 games at the Bromley meeting I don't think we've kept a clean sheet
  • Options
    Interested in other's opinion on this... although this is our first loss in a while, if you look, our scoring is wayyyy down. We are scoring 0 and 1 a lot and are barely beating teams we should thump. I feel like our form has dropped consistently the last 6-7 matches even though out points per match is decent in that stretch. I feel like we are about to fall out of top 6. Thoughts?
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Also since JJ said we hadn't let a goal in in 20 games at the Bromley meeting I don't think we've kept a clean sheet

He said from a corner
  • Options
    We won't make the top two without signing someone who can make something of the opportunities we create. Too many costly failings in front of goal.
    Even IF we make a couple of good signings in January, the task would still be difficult. I'm not yet convinced we will even hold on to a play-off place, sadly
  • Options
    Pissing about in Bluewater seeing Father Christmas wasn’t improved as I risked the wrath of the mrs by glancing at my phone rather than track where the kids were and seeing we’d eventually gone 2-0 down led to an immediate mood swing in the camp as a couple of the boys were prolly more pissed off than me .

7% Automatic promotion ........71% Play offs ........... 22% 7th-12th

100% Roland Out

• Options

clb74 said:

He said from a corner
    Must of been my selective hearing i thought he said we haven't let a goal in in 20 games
  • Options

Everybody seems to be saying, wait till January, and we get a descent striker. Where from? A striker who is anywhere near half descent, will have been snatched up already, and his club will hang onto him like grim death. Can you see Dutchulet, shelling our the money needed to prise such a player away? May be I will have to eat my words come January, but somehow I don't think so.

It'll be a loan.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Interested in other's opinion on this... although this is our first loss in a while, if you look, our scoring is wayyyy down. We are scoring 0 and 1 a lot and are barely beating teams we should thump. I feel like our form has dropped consistently the last 6-7 matches even though out points per match is decent in that stretch. I feel like we are about to fall out of top 6. Thoughts?

Yep, I agree wholeheartedly. We just don't score enough goals to get promotion, beit automatic (no chance) or via the play-offs. This is not a league where you do an Arsenal an win 20 games 1-0. If you look at the other top 6 sides (I'm putting Pompey in there) I bet they've scored 3 or more goals more times than us. I can only think of 2 games where we've done this (Northampton & Oldham) and on most occasions we struggle to score more than 1. Pathetic.

I know this may sound like another post defeat moan, but I have been saying this all season, and probably even before that. I concede that Novak probably had to go if he was unhappy (even though I would have done a Liverpool & just told him no) but did we really also have to let Watt & Ajose go without replacing them. Both left way before transfer deadline day so it was hardly a fait un complete, It may be down to RD and his "purse strings" but KR has said publicly (and I was there for one of them) that he has been left alone to make the transfers & so its down to him that we find ourselves with just one main striker, 2 youngsters as back up (who are also not physically up for this league) and a loanee who couldn't get a game if the rest of the team went down with dysentery an hour before a game.