Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scunthorpe v Charlton 2017 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    A fait accompli. Lol.
  • Options

Interested in other's opinion on this... although this is our first loss in a while, if you look, our scoring is wayyyy down. We are scoring 0 and 1 a lot and are barely beating teams we should thump. I feel like our form has dropped consistently the last 6-7 matches even though out points per match is decent in that stretch. I feel like we are about to fall out of top 6. Thoughts?

Yep, I agree wholeheartedly. We just don't score enough goals to get promotion, beit automatic (no chance) or via the play-offs. This is not a league where you do an Arsenal an win 20 games 1-0. If you look at the other top 6 sides (I'm putting Pompey in there) I bet they've scored 3 or more goals more times than us. I can only think of 2 games where we've done this (Northampton & Oldham) and on most occasions we struggle to score more than 1. Pathetic.

I know this may sound like another post defeat moan, but I have been saying this all season, and probably even before that. I concede that Novak probably had to go if he was unhappy (even though I would have done a Liverpool & just told him no) but did we really also have to let Watt & Ajose go without replacing them. Both left way before transfer deadline day so it was hardly a fait un complete, It may be down to RD and his "purse strings" but KR has said publicly (and I was there for one of them) that he has been left alone to make the transfers & so its down to him that we find ourselves with just one main striker, 2 youngsters as back up (who are also not physically up for this league) and a loanee who couldn't get a game if the rest of the team went down with dysentery an hour before a game.
    It doesn't mean he has an unlimited budget.
    Do you really believe he would get rid of all our back up strikers without replacing any of them by choice ?
    If by your definition, he is left alone to make transfers, why didn't he try and sign Messi et al ?
  • Options
    Just seen the goals. Absolutely sensational.

It was basically a 0-0 game.
  • Options

DOUCHER said:

SDAddick said:

How bad was Marshall's miss? If we'd gone 1-0 up, I suspect we'd have got more as they chased the game. We desperately need a clinical finisher in January.

Bad. Again. He was clean through, as he was against MK Dons, and let the keeper pounce on him with a poor touch.

Though all around he was very poor today. His crossing was anywhere from erratic to awful. And he's now missed a fair few chances. Nothing terrible that can't be undone with a couple goals, and after such a long layoff it's completely reasonable that it takes a while to get back up to speed. But I think he's gotten off a little easy given the stick Ben Reeves has gotten (not wrongly). Both were out for a long time and both are making their way back to form and full fitness.
    there's a reason Marshall has spent his time knocking around the lower leagues. He's not very good. He's 32 now, nothing's going to change.
    Disagree with that - i think he will be a major player for us this year. Looks a real threat. Regularly beat his man - on the outside - and got good crosses in tuesday night - didnt see him today and know he is carrying a knock and ideally wouldn't have played today.
    any idea when Best is signing?
    Imminently.
  • Options
    Thought we were the better team in the first half but two excellent goals for them to be fair. Ground is ramshackle. Awful place.
  • Options

A fait accompli. Lol.

After watching those goals, definitely fait un complete!

Mon Dew.

;o)
  • Options
    Didn't go but it was clear to see on transfer deadline day with the last minute release of Novak that one established striker in the squad is not the sound basis for guaranteed promotion.

Give Robinson a chance to get some decent strikers in other wise will be making promotion more difficult than need be. Notoriously difficult this window to get real quality in so will have to spend but surely worth it if it significantly bolsters the squad and our chances.

Magennis gets injured and we'll be relying on midfielders for goals.
  • Options
    Some tough games ahead and we have too many of our better players injured. Hope I'm wrong but I can see us falling out of the top six. However, with players coming back - combined with at least one striker coming in in January - we can make a decent run and finish in a play-off position.
    I know this all sounds somewhat negative but I'm just trying to be realistic and thinking with my head and not my heart. Would love to be proved wrong 'cos I think we are probably the best footballing team in the League, but that doesn't always count in the long run.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dansk_Red said:

Next five: Portsmouth (h), Bristol Rovers (a), Blackburn (h), Southend (a), Wigan (a). That's tough; Blackburn an Wigan above us, Pompey on the rise (one behind us) and Bristol Rovers and Southend are both away.

You forgot Posh on Tuesday night
    And Blackburn is away.
  • Options
    When a couple of first half chances came and went I started getting that sinking feeling, and so it proved, thought for an hour it was a pretty decent game but must score first in tight games.
  • Options
    ozaddick said:

Dansk_Red said:

Next five: Portsmouth (h), Bristol Rovers (a), Blackburn (h), Southend (a), Wigan (a). That's tough; Blackburn an Wigan above us, Pompey on the rise (one behind us) and Bristol Rovers and Southend are both away.

You forgot Posh on Tuesday night
    And Blackburn is away.
    We don’t play Bristol rovers away until end of the season?
  • Options
    That 2nd goal was world class! So much curl on it, if that goal had been scored by Ronaldo etc it would be all over the news
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Stig said:

My first game of the season. Despite the scoreline I didn't think it was as that bad. I expect Charlton will play worse and still win this season. Thought were matched them up until the first goal. In fact the timing of that was particularly unfortunate as we were in the ascendancy at that point. The second was the point of no return. Can't complain about either, both cracking goals. Holmes was the best player for me (except for his corners), when he ran at them he really caused some problems. Shame we couldn't have made more of our opportunities. If I was Robinson there'd be three things we'd be concentrating on in training:
    1. Better quality passing: Not that it was terrible, there weren't and real howlers but too often the passing wasn't quite sharp enough. Either played to a man who had someone right on them or just a little bit off so the receiver had to stretch too much to control the ball.
    2. Crossing: Pretty poor to be honest, both from corners and from free play. Can't remember one decent cross making it to the back post.
    3. Taking chances: Need to be a bit better at finding a space, too many shots at distance right at the keeper.

And finally, I had to laugh at the handful of stupid old men who got all hot under the collar because Gilks was taking the piss ad the end. What did they think was going to happen? They spent the last ten minutes telling him how fat he was (which was admittedly very funny). But they were 2-0 up and we never looked like scoring at that point. Did they imagine for a second that he wasn't going to give it large when the final whistle blew. If you can't take it boys, probably best not to dish it out.

Wasn't blackpool72 giving gilks stick was it.
  • Options
    No idea who it was, but I did wonder why people set themselves up like that if they can't handle it.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Karl Robinson says Ben Reeves will play no part in Charlton’s clash with Peterborough on Tuesday.

Reeves aggravated a hamstring injury against Rochdale in midweek and missed the 2-0 defeat to Scunthorpe.

The Addicks are also without injured duo Tariqe Fosu and Billy Clarke - leaving Robinson short in the offensive department.

The Valley boss said: “As he [Reeves] stretched for the ball someone pushed him which extended his hamstring.

“He won’t be fit for Tuesday but it’s not a serious one. Could we rush him to get back? Possibly, but I’d rather lose him for one or two games than six or seven.

“That's the key message - we've got one league game [against Peterborough] and then the next ones are in the FA Cup and Checkatrade Trophy.

“We’ll then have our eye on Portsmouth and we’ll have them [Fosu, Clarke and Reeves] all back for that.”

Mark Marshall suffered a serious knee injury in pre-season and was being eased into the team last month.

But Charlton’s shortage in attacking players has seen Marshall start three league games in seven days.

Robinson added: “He’s a little bit fatigued but it is what it is unfortunately.

“We are where we are but then on top of that he should've scored last week and he should've scored today against Scunthorpe.

“We need to take those chances and he's frustrated with himself for not doing so.”

I think KR talk about Marshall is to ask fans to give him more time, and if not rested after Tuesday, he will be the next on the injury list
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought Gilks responded quite humourously during the game tbh. There was only one way he'd respond after the final whistle though!
  • Options
    Ben reeves proving to be a bit of a shit signing think a few of us called that then got told off for being negative.

They say the goals we lost by today were “freak” goals and world class etc, wasn’t one of them a free kick - that if we didn’t foul we wouldn’t of given them the opportunity to score said world class goal.
  • Options

Scunny have only conceded 6 goals in 10 home games and have now won 6 on the trot.
    We lost to 2 wonder strikes, our first league defeat since mid September.
    The fact that we have one decent forward at the club, is very unlikely to be Robinson's fault, although some of our fans appear to think that it was his choice. Unbelieveable Jeff.

I think we can safely put the decision to go into the season with one senior striker down to Duchatelet.
  • Options

Everybody seems to be saying, wait till January, and we get a descent striker. Where from? A striker who is anywhere near half descent, will have been snatched up already, and his club will hang onto him like grim death. Can you see Dutchulet, shelling our the money needed to prise such a player away? May be I will have to eat my words come January, but somehow I don't think so.

It'll be a loan.
    More likely Leon Best.
  • Options
    Stig said:

No idea who it was, but I did wonder why people set themselves up like that if they can't handle it.

No when giving it out enjoy it because it will come back to bite you on the arse.
  • Options
    stevec said:
    Really? The first would have been stopped by an extra man on the wall. The second by better defensive organisation and closing down. I'm not saying both weren't exceptional goals and top quality but unstoppable is overplaying it.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    ross1 said:

Karl Robinson says Ben Reeves will play no part in Charlton’s clash with Peterborough on Tuesday.

Reeves aggravated a hamstring injury against Rochdale in midweek and missed the 2-0 defeat to Scunthorpe.

The Addicks are also without injured duo Tariqe Fosu and Billy Clarke - leaving Robinson short in the offensive department.

The Valley boss said: “As he [Reeves] stretched for the ball someone pushed him which extended his hamstring.

“He won’t be fit for Tuesday but it’s not a serious one. Could we rush him to get back? Possibly, but I’d rather lose him for one or two games than six or seven.

“That's the key message - we've got one league game [against Peterborough] and then the next ones are in the FA Cup and Checkatrade Trophy.

“We’ll then have our eye on Portsmouth and we’ll have them [Fosu, Clarke and Reeves] all back for that.”

Mark Marshall suffered a serious knee injury in pre-season and was being eased into the team last month.

But Charlton’s shortage in attacking players has seen Marshall start three league games in seven days.

Robinson added: “He’s a little bit fatigued but it is what it is unfortunately.

“We are where we are but then on top of that he should've scored last week and he should've scored today against Scunthorpe.

“We need to take those chances and he's frustrated with himself for not doing so.”

I think KR talk about Marshall is to ask fans to give him more time, and if not rested after Tuesday, he will be the next on the injury list

Fosu, back for Pompey, Really ???? I thought they said last week that he'd be out for 5-6 weeks.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    a tackle for the second would not have gone amiss