Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scunthorpe v Charlton 2017 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    just to clarify - i want rd gone, i want more strikers, i have told this board best will sign today or tomorrow - i have also said there is no imminent takeover and that going up is the quickest way for him to go because he is a very rich man and despite the protests etc etc, he will be going on his terms not ours. i have no connection with him whatsoever but that is the situation so my advice is be happy he wants out and just try and enjoy the season - this is the 3rd best division in the country, we are one of the best teams in it, we have a good manager and play good football and if we get best and another striker in january, which is the plan, we will hopefully go up.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

DOUCHER said:

And factor in an owner who isn't interested in success.

He is - he wants promotion so he can get the deal he wants to sell but let's not start all that again
    He isn't interested enough in promotion to fund it though.

You could be 90% confident of automatic promotion if even a quarter of the Lookman transfer fee had been reinvested in the squad, ie £2M ish.
    So why no protests the Belgians are still taking the pish.
    The beginning of September I spoke to a few people on here at the ground,
    If we miss out on automatic promotion by a few points it will be down to the fact we only have one striker.
    Nearly everyone on here can see if we had another decent striker to take the pressure off Josh we would probably have a couple more points than we have.
    If there was no 8 million then fair enough I don't even expect the Belgians to put much back in.
    But come on would of only probably taken at most £2 million.
    Probably makes it worse than last season because I think the extra striker would be the icing on the cake.
    I wouldn't protest because we don't have another striker. It's just a stupid football decision, but at least it's (probably) a normal football decision.

I was protesting about the ridiculous merry go round of inappropriate managers and players for the most part (plus other actions that are no longer being carried out and things that were said).

Matters aren't perfect but they're not at any football club, but we are now a proper football club again.

There are plenty of clubs with owners that the fans don't like.
  • Options
    Keep it short, find us a new Mendonca please. Roland, if you genuinely want us to progress, get your wallet out.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

just to clarify - i want rd gone, i want more strikers, i have told this board best will sign today or tomorrow - i have also said there is no imminent takeover and that going up is the quickest way for him to go because he is a very rich man and despite the protests etc etc, he will be going on his terms not ours. i have no connection with him whatsoever but that is the situation so my advice is be happy he wants out and just try and enjoy the season - this is the 3rd best division in the country, we are one of the best teams in it, we have a good manager and play good football and if we get best and another striker in january, which is the plan, we will hopefully go up.

and the point about the 3rd best division in the country is that this is not a pub league as people state from time to time - this is a tough league with very capable players so we r going to lose now and then
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

I need to point out we have scored 8 goals in League One since.... September 27th!!!! Just think about that a bit. It's almost December.

With that logic, September 27th is almost October.

And that makes it better? 8 goals in 8 matches in 60 days. Is that good enough for you?
    I would sooner win 1 - 0 than draw 4 - 4
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

I need to point out we have scored 8 goals in League One since.... September 27th!!!! Just think about that a bit. It's almost December.

With that logic, September 27th is almost October.

And that makes it better? 8 goals in 8 matches in 60 days. Is that good enough for you?
    I would sooner win 1 - 0 than draw 4 - 4
    yeah, well too bad that is not what is happening. We just lost 2-0.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

I’m sorry but charlton need More than best and ‘another’!

Best has hardly played games within a year , and has played less than 90 games In 5 years - scoring only 10 in the last 5years too (scoring 60 goals there abouts in the last 14 years!)
    HE ISNT THE ANSWER!

• Options
    sammy391 said:

DOUCHER said:

I’m sorry but charlton need More than best and ‘another’!

Best has hardly played games within a year , and has played less than 90 games In 5 years - scoring only 10 in the last 5years too (scoring 60 goals there abouts in the last 14 years!)
    HE ISNT THE ANSWER!

I agree..........BUT he may be the answer NOW and certainly better than what we currently have to offer from the bench. All I'm interested in is the here & now, not January or the end of the season, but Tues evening.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2017

There is one problem and that is the lack of strikers in our squad.
    Robinson should have addressed this pre season. But he chose to make attacking midfielders his priority. He signed Reeves, Clarke, Marshall & Fosu.
    Clarke and Fosu are great signings, Marshal show promise, however Reeves looks a complete waste of space, and now 1 week from December he still hasn’t completed 90 minutes of a league game for us.

I would have preferred that Reeves signing on fee and wages had been spent on a second striker, because Josh Magennis is a great target man, but he really needs someone playing alongside him to feed off the knock downs. Unfortunately KAG and Dodoo are not up to this.

I fear that the set up that the 4,5,1 set up that Robinson has decided on is not working, and ultimately come the end of the season we will be lucky to make the top 6 and a play off place.

He isn't going to play 4-4-2 though (if that's what you meant? If not, I agree with you).

It's after matches like this I wonder how good most managers are.

If I were an owner and saw that match, I would ask KR the following...

"What, specifically, are you going to do in PRACTICE the next few days, to make this team better?"

I don't think owners ask this enough. In the real world, when things don't go well, any good CEO or manager would ask "What specific actions are you going to make tomorrow? I think most managers don't know how to answer that question. They just keep going with the same old-same old. Maybe they change a lineup a bit. This is one reason managers never seem to get better or evolve. Because they are not really sure how to change things.

If I were a reporter I would do my job and ask them that specific question. I would worry about any manager that could not precisely answer that question.

I'd like to have heard you ask Alex Ferguson that question.
    Managing is partly about instilling belief in players. If you tinker with systems every time something you are working on doesn't work, most players get the jitters. Especially ones who are limited, like most in Div One, including ours.

Re the striker situation, Josh was just beginning to win me round earlier in the season, but I'm sorry, in quite a few games this season he looked way worse than the opposition's centre forward. And I'm including Truro's in that. There's a school of thought that says Josh must be good because he's an international striker. Well, sorry, this is Northern Ireland we're talking about. It's a pretty small pool to choose from. He's ok on his day, but is that enough when you're chasing promotion?
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

just to clarify - i want rd gone, i want more strikers, i have told this board best will sign today or tomorrow

Tick-tock...
  • Options

DOUCHER said:

just to clarify - i want rd gone, i want more strikers, i have told this board best will sign today or tomorrow

Tick-tock...
  • Options
    Canters, AB and chaser - we will re visit this thread on Wednesday morning - you will understand why then. All I will say now is, and again, it gives me no real pleasure to say this but I feel as though I'm playing a game of 3 card brag and I have a prile of 3's. I have been correct on everything I have stated on this board over the last few years - whether it be the 'change' that happened 18 months or so ago, the non takeover or more recent matters. I can't say any more than that right now but if I were you 3, I'd wind it in a bit.
  • Options
    What was the change 18 months ago? Slade was appointed and it was obvious to everyone some things were about to be done a bit differently to before.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    DOUCHER said:

Canters, AB and chaser - we will re visit this thread on Wednesday morning - you will understand why then. All I will say now is, and again, it gives me no real pleasure to say this but I feel as though I'm playing a game of 3 card brag and I have a prile of 3's. I have been correct on everything I have stated on this board over the last few years - whether it be the 'change' that happened 18 months or so ago, the non takeover or more recent matters. I can't say any more than that right now but if I were you 3, I'd wind it in a bit.

You weren’t right last Monday, and seems as if you were incorrect last night!
  • Options
    Scoham said:

What was the change 18 months ago? Slade was appointed and it was obvious to everyone some things were about to be done a bit differently to before.

It wasn't obvious to Henry Irving in particular - I said the experiment was over, the network foistering players on the manager over and that Meirewould skink into the background and basically be a legal administrator. The acceptance that the model had failed and a reversion to a normal British football set up in a bid to get promoted and sell. I gave up banging my head against a brick wall trying to convince people and being called beard face and all that nonsense as I think they thought I was spinning things for the regime. That is and never has been the case but some will not accept anything other than the views of those that they think know best on here. So be it - Iets hope some of those that have lost the habit of going, or boycotters start to return - I won't let the mad belgium and Meire stop me from going but others maybe need some encouragement to get back down there and the 'change' that I refer to, if broadcast properly, could have helped with that - some believed the way forward was an empty stadium - that was never going to end well.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

DOUCHER said:

Firstly why will we revisit this thread on Wednesday?

Secondly "I have been correct on everything I have stated on this board over the last few years". Erm are you Miere? You haven't even been correct over the things posted in the last 2 days.

You claimed Best was signing "today" a week ago. Hadn't happened.

You claimed Best was signing "today or tomorrow" yesterday. And here we are at 6:45 tonight. Ohh look hasn't happened.

You claimed the takeover was a "non story" as there were no interested parties and no DD being undertaken. You backtracked on that 2 or 3 times and then claimed success when others said that takes had hit a few problems.

Can't thibk of one place you've been right to be honest.

Thirdly why do I need to wind it in? All I've done is point out that what you are presenting as fact is simply your take on the situation and indeed contradicts the insight that AB and others on here have given, those with a proven track record of being right and having well placed sources.

I've also called you out on the constant changing of your stories and that's got your knickers in a twist. Not my problem.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Ha ha ha, "wind it in' @DOUCHER? Oh the irony. Lost your sense humour have you, no worries I'll file you in my ignore pile from now on, congratulations.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Ha ha ha, "wind it in' @DOUCHER? Oh the irony. Lost your sense humour have you, no worries I'll file you in my ignore pile from now on, congratulations.

no sense of humour failure here big boy - in fact you and canters are providing me with a lot to laugh about - at least you keep it brief
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

DOUCHER said:

DOUCHER said:

Secondly "I have been correct on everything I have stated on this board over the last few years". Erm are you Miere? You haven't even been correct over the things posted in the last 2 days.

You claimed Best was signing "today or tomorrow" yesterday. And here we are at 6:45 tonight. Ohh look hasn't happened.

You claimed the takeover was a "non story" as there were no interested parties and no DD being undertaken. You backtracked on that 2 or 3 times and then claimed success when others said that takes had hit a few problems.

Thirdly why do I need to wind it in? All I've done is point out that what you are presenting as fact is simply your take on the situation and indeed contradicts the insight that AB and others on here have given, those with a proven track record of being right and having well placed sources.

I've also called you out on the constant changing of your stories and that's got your knickers in a twist. Not my problem.
    bufoon - i've backtracked on nothing.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

Many people were saying that there was a change 18 months ago, not just you.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

RedChaser said:

no sense of humour failure here big boy - in fact you and canters are providing me with a lot to laugh about - at least you keep it brief
    Big boy, wow is that all you've got. You really are losing the plot aren't you, keep them coming time's running out for any further bites.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

DOUCHER said:

Many people were saying that there was a change 18 months ago, not just you.
    no problem with that - this isn't about me, everybody who didn't have there head stuck up their are could see it
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

DOUCHER said:

RedChaser said:

Big boy, wow is that all you've got. You really are losing the plot aren't you, keep them coming time's running out for any further bites.
    not in your ignore pile yet then? May be best for you to get me in there quick - i'd put your countdown clock in there quick as wsell if i were you
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    DOUCHER said:

RedChaser said:

DOUCHER said:

RedChaser said:

not in your ignore pile yet then? May be best for you to get me in there quick - i'd put your countdown clock in there quick as wsell if i were you
    Poor effort. Have you tried grammar and spell check?
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

DOUCHER said:

RedChaser said:

DOUCHER said:

RedChaser said:

Poor effort. Have you tried grammar and spell check?
    Hopefully doucher isn’t writing tonights OS piece on the signing of Leon Best...
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

Yes, Doucher, heard the big secret. You can have that one.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

DOUCHER said:

DOUCHER said:

bufoon - i've backtracked on nothing.
    Other than the fact it was proved by quoting your comments on the takeover thread.

Whatever.

Can't be reasoned with.

WUM.

One swallow and all that.
  • Options
    Let's have a heated debate.