Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Harvey Weinstein

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2017
    DA9 said:

DA9 said:

1StevieG said:

@DA9 in response to your comment about why these women did not report it earlier because it would hurt their career. They were probably worried that nothing would happen if they reported him as was the case when one woman reported him to the NY police in 2015 and they decided not to persue it because there was a lack of evidence.

Then why were most of Hollywood (including men) so quick to jump on the Trump sexism/abuse train last year? No fan of Trump myself, but nobody on twitter or on pussy hat marches seemed to care about lack of evidence coming out when accusing Trump.
    Self interest, it's like they accepted it as how Weinstein behaves, earnt their fame & fortune, then drew up the drawbridge.
    I don't think there is any doubt Trump is sexist - routinely talks about women in a disparaging manner. The reason why it was discussed so much was because he was becoming President of the USA - didn't really get that much attention beforehand.

Being President of the USA is a little more significant than being a film producer.

You seem unwilling to accept that women could be victims of Weinstein? You don't really seem to understand abuse and seem more concerned with Donald Trump.
    Not concerned with Trump, not a fan of Trump, using him as an example of some of Hollywoods double standards.
    Read my first post, said they had all suffered and hope they all get justice, just questioning the timing of some people's statements, and why they had not raised it until after their careers took off under his umbrella.
    Maybe they thought that hearing other people coming out with similar stories they felt they had a better chance of being believed ( they may not get justice but talking about it may heal some wounds ).
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Just to confirm, this was 2013.
  • Options
    Counting down to @DA9 being labelled a Nazi 10...9...8...7.....
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    buckshee said:

Counting down to @DA9 being labelled a Nazi 10...9...8...7.....

Interesting angle on Godwin's Law
  • Options
    DA9 said:

DA9 said:

1StevieG said:

@DA9 in response to your comment about why these women did not report it earlier because it would hurt their career. They were probably worried that nothing would happen if they reported him as was the case when one woman reported him to the NY police in 2015 and they decided not to persue it because there was a lack of evidence.

Then why were most of Hollywood (including men) so quick to jump on the Trump sexism/abuse train last year? No fan of Trump myself, but nobody on twitter or on pussy hat marches seemed to care about lack of evidence coming out when accusing Trump.
    Self interest, it's like they accepted it as how Weinstein behaves, earnt their fame & fortune, then drew up the drawbridge.
    I don't think there is any doubt Trump is sexist - routinely talks about women in a disparaging manner. The reason why it was discussed so much was because he was becoming President of the USA - didn't really get that much attention beforehand.

Being President of the USA is a little more significant than being a film producer.

You seem unwilling to accept that women could be victims of Weinstein? You don't really seem to understand abuse and seem more concerned with Donald Trump.
    Not concerned with Trump, not a fan of Trump, using him as an example of some of Hollywoods double standards.
    Read my first post, said they had all suffered and hope they all get justice, just questioning the timing of some people's statements, and why they had not raised it until after their careers took off under his umbrella.
    The point has been made numerous times but obviously hasn't sunk in with you(not sure if it will) that people are reluctant to report abuse for a variety of reasons - you could read up on the subject if you were interested.

Do you think It's easy to report abuse as it is clearly evident time and time again that you probably won't be believed and it will probably wreck you career. I'm sure you must have turned a blind eye to things in the past to protect yourself or to avoid trouble

Just because people are rich or successful it doesn't mean they can't suffer abuse.

You seem hung up on Hollywood and Donald Trump - you introduced him into the argument. I'm sure there are lots of people who work for Trump who keep their mouths shut when it suits them to protect their jobs.

As far as I can see now there appears to be universal condemnation of Weinstein - those with power who were not victims of his abuse and knew about what was going on will have some questions to answer.

• Options
    If you have worked all you life to be an actress and your chance comes -all the hopes and ambition and graft in your life - and then you are basically put in a position where a powerful bastard can destroy everything you have strived for if you don't comply with his perverted wishes - and he uses that fact. I don't think there is any difference to any other forced assault.
  • Options

DA9 said:

DA9 said:

1StevieG said:

The point has been made numerous times but obviously hasn't sunk in with you(not sure if it will) that people are reluctant to report abuse for a variety of reasons - you could read up on the subject if you were interested.

Do you think It's easy to report abuse as it is clearly evident time and time again that you probably won't be believed and it will probably wreck you career. I'm sure you must have turned a blind eye to things in the past to protect yourself or to avoid trouble

Just because people are rich or successful it doesn't mean they can't suffer abuse.

You seem hung up on Hollywood and Donald Trump - you introduced him into the argument. I'm sure there are lots of people who work for Trump who keep their mouths shut when it suits them to protect their jobs.

As far as I can see now there appears to be universal condemnation of Weinstein - those with power who were not victims of his abuse and knew about what was going on will have some questions to answer.

The point has been made, and I am sure it not easy to speak out, whether rich or poor, but as stated before, what does not sit well with me is those that had information on Weinstein, or had suffered at his hands (for want of a better term) rich, poor, powerful or not, who could and should have said something 5/10/15/20 years ago, but decided to keep quiet as he was their paymaster. How many other women suffered due to his twisted acts and aggressive come ons during that period that could have been avoided.
    No hang up on Hollywood, or Trump, The same goes for Trump and his staff, if people keep quiet, Shame on them. I have worked mainly in male dominated areas all my life, but spent many years in mixed offices also, I never saw or heard of such acts or comments, but not being a woman that's probably not surprising, but I know I would have had more about me and not taken the dirty money by keeping quiet.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

If only some of you knew what I had to go through to get the moderator gig

I only earned a promote when I showed I could swallow a whole modelling balloon (inflated).

God knows what you had to do to get further @Cableties
  • Options
    He must be the first celeb is crisis in Hollywood not to have had Ray Donovan on speed dial!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    when these cases happen, why is it a sudden flood of people coming forward when they could of done many years ago, someone like cara delevigne isnt a struggling actress barely scraping by etc.
  • Options

when these cases happen, why is it a sudden flood of people coming forward when they could of done many years ago, someone like cara delevigne isnt a struggling actress barely scraping by etc.

I would hazard a guess that they were either embarrassed or fearful to come forward.

In an awkward or sometimes embarrassing situation, when someone else steps forward to confirm they've been there, it makes it a lot easier for the rest of us to open up. Imagine Alcoholics Anonymous or many other group therapy type sessions.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Greenie said:

clb74 said:

I'm amazed how different it is for some people.
    How much and how many different people did Michael Jackson pay off.
    If he hadn't of died a few days before coming to England he would of received a heroes welcome by some.

Its amazing the amount of people who are still not convinced about Jackson, he allegedly paid out as much as 23 million dollars to his victims, in fact last year, according to reports, another fella came forward and a case maybe pending for compensation from Jacksons estate, and one of the original kid who was paid off may be called to give his testimony.
    If a 45 year old man shares his bed with a 12 year old kid its wrong on every level, I dont think anyone would argue that, but if its Michael Jackson its glossed over and ignored by the public. Saville got away with it for years because the victims thought that the authorities would not believe them, The same with Weinstein.
    It doesn't matter if they are a pop star, teacher, MP, Hollywood producer or bin man, a nonce is a nonce.
    I know we are not supposed to converse, but the Jackson thing... well it's worth reading this.

Like everybody else, I assumed Jacko was a maniac to some degree. But now I am pretty much convinced he was just odd. There's such little evidence of him doing anything, and the evidence that does 'exist' came from extremely suspect places - namely, the testimony of people who were more interested in making money than finding justice of any kind.

Edit:

"the original kid who was paid off may be called to give his testimony."

Direct quote, from a recording, of that boy (Evan Chandler)'s father:

“And if I go through with this, I win big-time. There’s no way I lose. I’ve checked that inside out. I will get everything I want, and they will be destroyed forever. June will lose [custody of the son]…and Michael’s career will be over.”

This man killed himself five months after Jackson died.
    Interesting reading, but from the other end of the spectrum (yes I knew its the Sun) see link.

"Lawyers have written to the MJ estate asking they should make any confidentiality agreements public.
    From the 1980s Jackson struck business and personal deals with kids and the FBI are said to hold papers which detail how the Grammy-winner paid out as much as £23million."

As I said in my earlier post a 45 year old man does not share his bed with kids, there cannot be anything innocent in that, and if that 45 year old man is just a little 'odd', where does 'odd' become 'nonce', its just an 'innocent' touch away.
    I think most parents would be mortified if they found out that their child was in a grain mans bedroom.
    And why did Jackson not have his day in court to prove your innocence, instead of paying the kids off, just maybe he was guilty???

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/1457111/michael-jacksons-first-sex-abuse-accuser-could-speak-publicly-for-first-time-about-relationship-with-popstar/
    There’s no doubt what he did was inappropriate, and he invited immense trouble by behaving the way he did. I wouldn’t wish to defend any of that, he made a weird bed and got kids to lie in it!

I kinda wish Jacko did have his day in court so we could’ve found out some of the truth. Maybe. The man had hundreds of kids around him over a long period of time, and the only people to accuse him of anything were very, very suspect in of themselves, that's what I take from the above stories.

Also, the taking or making pay-offs isn’t a safe way of defining guilt, and I don't believe Jacko was guilty of any molestation off the back of that. I got paid off by a former employer to keep my mouth shut, probably about a variety of things (not on any of these subjects, to be clear!), and it's given me a hell of an insight as to how it feels when you know more than you can say.
  • Options

If you have worked all you life to be an actress and your chance comes -all the hopes and ambition and graft in your life - and then you are basically put in a position where a powerful bastard can destroy everything you have strived for if you don't comply with his perverted wishes - and he uses that fact. I don't think there is any difference to any other forced assault.

A couple of actresses have said he tried it on with them is that the same as a 10 year old getting abused or raped
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    clb74 said:

A couple of actresses have said he tried it on with them is that the same as a 10 year old getting abused or raped
    He cornered a woman and wanked in her direction... he then finished and walked away as though nothing had happened and text her the next day to say he'd had a lovely evening and could they do it again some time...

There may be no physical contact, but by cornering her, that's indecent exposure bordering on sexual assault.

So no not the same as raping a 10 year old (god knows why that was the first place your mind went) but it certainly is a vile and disgusting act and should be no more acceptable than rape - no matter the victims age.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

DA9 said:

DA9 said:

1StevieG said:

The point has been made, and I am sure it not easy to speak out, whether rich or poor, but as stated before, what does not sit well with me is those that had information on Weinstein, or had suffered at his hands (for want of a better term) rich, poor, powerful or not, who could and should have said something 5/10/15/20 years ago, but decided to keep quiet as he was their paymaster. How many other women suffered due to his twisted acts and aggressive come ons during that period that could have been avoided.
    No hang up on Hollywood, or Trump, The same goes for Trump and his staff, if people keep quiet, Shame on them. I have worked mainly in male dominated areas all my life, but spent many years in mixed offices also, I never saw or heard of such acts or comments, but not being a woman that's probably not surprising, but I know I would have had more about me and not taken the dirty money by keeping quiet.
    You don't seem able to understand why victims of abuse don't speak out whether it's at the hands of Weinstein or somebody else and apparently all you can say on the matter is 'shame on them' and that if it had been you then you would have had more about you.

There are numerous articles written around why victims of abuse/bullying don't speak out and even if you took the time to read them it might make you a little more understanding.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

clb74 said:

He cornered a woman and wanked in her direction... he then finished and walked away as though nothing had happened and text her the next day to say he'd had a lovely evening and could they do it again some time...

There may be no physical contact, but by cornering her, that's indecent exposure bordering on sexual assault.

So no not the same as raping a 10 year old (god knows why that was the first place your mind went) but it certainly is a vile and disgusting act and should be no more acceptable than rape - no matter the victims age.
    I know it shouldn't, because the bloke is a massive prick, but the idea of someone sending that text really made me chuckle

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

clb74 said:

The French actress Lea Seydoux has written an article detailing her experience with Weinstein who she met at a fashion show.
    She wrote in The Guardian about how he invited her to come to his hotel room for a drink.
    "We were talking on the sofa when he suddenly jumped on me and tried to kiss me.
    "I had to defend myself. He's big and fat, so I had to be forceful to resist him. I left his room, thoroughly disgusted.
    "I wasn't afraid of him, though. Because I knew what kind of man he was all along."

This woman knows what his like what she doing going to his hotel room.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Your post is truly bizarre - wtf is going on inside your head to make this comparison?
  • Options

clb74 said:

Your post is truly bizarre - wtf is going on inside your head to make this comparison?
    to be fair, there have been comparisons to Saville (Children) and Cosby (drugging and sodomising) earlier in the thread so I don't believe he is just randomly comparing the them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clb74 said:

Dazzler21 said:

clb74 said:

The French actress Lea Seydoux has written an article detailing her experience with Weinstein who she met at a fashion show.
    She wrote in The Guardian about how he invited her to come to his hotel room for a drink.
    "We were talking on the sofa when he suddenly jumped on me and tried to kiss me.
    "I had to defend myself. He's big and fat, so I had to be forceful to resist him. I left his room, thoroughly disgusted.
    "I wasn't afraid of him, though. Because I knew what kind of man he was all along."

So she deserved it?
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Lol. Bet you’re a real hit with the ladies if your version of trying it on is taking out your penis and masturbating in front of them.
  • Options
    The only good thing to come out of this is at least there is a debate about bullying and abuse. I hope much more is done to confront this in the future and that people like Weinstein aren't given such an easy ride.

What's disgusted me even more about him since the story broke is how he's tried to make excuses and to portray himself as a victim.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

What? I didn't mention 10 year olds!
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    clb74 said:

Dazzler21 said:

clb74 said:

Probably worth pointing out that many meetings go on in hotel rooms in the film world, because they're constantly traveling around to events and such. And a billionaire isn't staying in a Holiday Inn and inviting meetings into his bed - his suite will have a seating area that would probably double as an office.

Further, for an actress to accept a meeting with one of the world's biggest producers is perfectly reasonable. Presuming the meeting wasn't set up on Tinder, there's no reasonable assumption that the meeting was in any way 'romantically' inclined. Rather, it sounds like Lea Seydoux agreed to meet to discuss work. She is 100% in the right to assume that he would not try to kiss her. That would be grossly unprofessional. That all said, it might have been a mistake to attend that meeting without a chaperone, given what she knew, but it most certainly was not her fault it happened the way it did.

I'm hoping you're...questionable... take on this is based on a misunderstanding of how that meeting occurred, rather than a genuine belief that the actress was in any way 'deserving' of being slobbered over by a potential boss.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

clb74 said:

Dazzler21 said:

clb74 said:

Probably worth pointing out that many meetings go on in hotel rooms in the film world, because they're constantly traveling around to events and such. And a billionaire isn't staying in a Holiday Inn and inviting meetings into his bed - his suite will have a seating area that would probably double as an office.

Further, for an actress to accept a meeting with one of the world's biggest producers is perfectly reasonable. Presuming the meeting wasn't set up on Tinder, there's no reasonable assumption that the meeting was in any way 'romantically' inclined. Rather, it sounds like Lea Seydoux agreed to meet to discuss work. She is 100% in the right to assume that he would not try to kiss her. That would be grossly unprofessional. That all said, it might have been a mistake to attend that meeting without a chaperone, given what she knew, but it most certainly was not her fault it happened the way it did.

I'm hoping you're...questionable... take on this is based on a misunderstanding of how that meeting occurred, rather than a genuine belief that the actress was in any way 'deserving' of being slobbered over by a potential boss.
    He invited her to come to his hotel room for a drink.
  • Options
    I would just like to confirm that I turned Weinstein down when he invited me to his room for a drink. My film career subsequently nosedived....
  • Options

DA9 said:

DA9 said:

DA9 said:

1StevieG said:

You don't seem able to understand why victims of abuse don't speak out whether it's at the hands of Weinstein or somebody else and apparently all you can say on the matter is 'shame on them' and that if it had been you then you would have had more about you.

There are numerous articles written around why victims of abuse/bullying don't speak out and even if you took the time to read them it might make you a little more understanding.

I do understand completely why some people would not speak out, fear of ridicule, not being believed, being ostracised, and pure fear of someone's power & influence, but protecting your bank balance, whilst knowing he is likely doing it to other women should not be one of them.
    Yes, shame on them, that remark aimed at Weinsteins staff, or the Narcissistic Trumps staff, if any of them knew what they were upto and kept quiet, shame on them, you said yourself, they shoukd have questions to answer. Nobody deserves what has so far been disclosed, and I will repeat, I hope they all get justice and if he is found guilty, he goes away for a long long time.
  • Options

I would just like to confirm that I turned Weinstein down when he invited me to his room for a drink. My film career subsequently nosedived....

Jimmys assumption of why she was in his hotel room is quite different from what she said in the Guardian.
    Obviously he shouldn't have tried to grope her but equally obvious is the fact if she new what he was like she should have made her excuses and not gone.