Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Options

Great work @McBobbin

I’m injured at the mo and hugely peed off

Look on the bright side, 1-2 weeks off every now and then will do you the world of good. You will lose a very small amount of fitness, granted but your body will benefit by repairing all the little micro tears that occur in the leg muscles EVERY time you run and you'll come back stronger.

Don't come back too early!
  • Options

Great work @McBobbin

Gutting, you were starting to put some solid times down... As johnboy says, you might even benefit. It took me a long time to be able to run 5k... An adult life of total inactivity. I was amazed that after a few months off, you don't lose any of the ability to run far, even if you drop a bit of pace.

Have to say it felt good, I got out the blocks at a decent pace, and looking at my splits, I slowed down by about 5k, but then just sped up! We aren't talking record times, but for an asthmatic blundering marshmallow such as myself, I'm dead pleaded.
  • Options

Great work @McBobbin

Off to Rome tomorrow for the weekend with Mrs Chirpy as part of her 50th package and our 30 years together so won't be there either. Time I let another bloke be the last fella anyway.
  • Options

Great work @McBobbin

Ouch - heal soon! That's what worries me about running, I see people get really down when an injury forces them to ease up for a bit.

Managed to do Hilly Fields parkrun last week without walking any of it (as you may guess from the name, it has two rotten hills that I normally walk up most of the time), which I'm pleased with - especially because I meet "proper" runners who are intimidated by that course! Wasn't particularly fast, but then I did stay out drinking the previous night...

If we can get our act together in time, we might do Hoblingwell parkrun - in a recreation ground between Petts Wood and St Mary Cray - tomorrow; it looks like one of the quieter ones and I'm curious to see what it's like. If we fail miserably, it'll probably be back to Hilly Fields!
  • Options
    Just back to parkrun after a long lay off with injury (9 months) was really active, 9 marathons loads of halfs and two full Ironman events. My PB at my home course in Newent Gloucestershire is 24.07. 9 months out and 45lbs of weight on GULP!!! first one back 3 weeks ago was 33 mins, down to 30.30 last week hope to dip below 30 tomorrow. 3 weeks back running and have lost 15 of the 45lbs, see running can be good for you :)
  • Options
    How did we all get on? 26.50 for me, a pb, and the first time I've got over 50% in the age grade, whatever that means.

I went out fast as near the front as I could so as not to get bogged down. Only disadvantage was I was overtaken the entire race!
  • Options
    29.05 for me, 20 seconds slower than my last one but not run it in 4 weeks due to work, tried Johnboys breathing technique but couldn't get on with it, might have to practice it walking, on route to the valley now.
  • Options
    Feel like a kid whose had his iPad taken away from him :-(

Hopefully I’ll be able to run again in a few weeks. Put on 3lbs in about 4 days
  • Options
    Parkrun at Ally Pally this morning. Killer of a course with so many hills. 21:28
  • Options

What have you done?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

What have you done?
    Not had a shit.
  • Options
    28.57 best for a while but still a long way off PB.
  • Options
    I have a race tomorrow, proper old school cross country run with plenty of mud, streams and the added bonus of running against my wife, daughter and son.
  • Options

29.05 for me, 20 seconds slower than my last one but not run it in 4 weeks due to work, tried Johnboys breathing technique but couldn't get on with it, might have to practice it walking, on route to the valley now.

Honestly, practice it walking first then gradually speed up. I promise you that once it clicks you'll feel so much better.
  • Options

Parkrun at Ally Pally this morning. Killer of a course with so many hills. 21:28

assume it was dryish? that course is absolutely brutal when muddy, the hills are hard enough but a couple corners on the flat bits become treacherous. good fun if you enjoy watching people slip over in mud
  • Options
    rina said:

assume it was dryish? that course is absolutely brutal when muddy, the hills are hard enough but a couple corners on the flat bits become treacherous. good fun if you enjoy watching people slip over in mud
    Yeah it was dry underfoot today perfect running conditions for Ally Pally. I know what you mean as I’ve nearly gone arse over tit in the mud on previous occasions at AP!!
  • Options
    Well done all. I see that Charlton Charlie took another 30+ off his Pb. Well done mate
  • Options
    Ended up back at Hilly Fields, slogged it round in a second-best time for there (33:34) without walking up the hills. Pleased with that. A couple of GoodGym runs coming up this week.
  • Options
    I did the Dalby Forest (North Yorkshire Moors) parkrun yesterday...it was minus 1 with wind chill (it was snowing a few a miles away), wind was howling and it was pissing down and I bloody loved it... Running on what I guess are bridle/walking paths with quite a bit of single trail running too, dodging branches and roots...really, really good fun... No PB as I didn't know where on earth I was on the course, so didn't kick on for the last km or so as I do at Danson but it was an awesome setting... I'll be back there for the Xmas Day run and I can't wait...they had 107 people turn up in the middle of bloomin nowhere to run....the volunteer organisers are saints...

Couple of weeks off now, with holiday next week and then work the following Saturday, so we'll see how I get on when back.... Bloody love it and only wish I'd taken it up when I was young and fit...
  • Options
    Yep, I’m getting the same feeling mate. Did 9k this morning in the cold and rain, and loved it. Need to start investing in those tights / leggings things as it’s getting cold for just shorts

On the plus side, post run cold baths are now getting replaced with hot showers!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looking forward to a long run on Thurs. Got some leggings, but wear shorts as well otherwise I'm commiting a hate crime with my aris.
  • Options
    Personal best at Victoria Dock parkrun on Sunday, weaving in and out of dressed-up people going to ComicCon. Bloke in a Spiderman outfit was the first finisher...
  • Options
    The Greenwich run went the other way round as it was clocks go back weekend, do other courses do the same?
  • Options
    I noticed they’ve made two sections of woodland path in Danson which I’m assuming makes up part of the circuit - I run and walk dogs there a fair bit and recently Fanny under the Hill
  • Options
    Riviera said:

The Greenwich run went the other way round as it was clocks go back weekend, do other courses do the same?

Hilly Fields runs it in reverse on the anniversary of the first run.
  • Options
    Good luck everyone this morning. My first one for a couple of weeks. Super tired and ache like hell, but got to be done
  • Options
    By my reckoning 26.30, a pb. However, they changed the course due to firework night so no hill and by my reckoning it was 100m short. Still pleased though! Met another addick en route, though was beyond saying much
  • Options
    Absolutely made up to see @Riviera PB’d by over a minute this morning. Well done mate
  • Options
    Well done @Riviera

Missed my pb by 11 seconds...gutted! :-)