Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• McBobbin said:

Well done! 29.16 for me, my slowest. They did a different course to avoid a funfair, and the start was such a bottleneck I wasted a couple of minutes at least before I could run properly. That's my excuse at least.

My one has a winter and summer course and the bottleneck at the start on the winter one is so bad you can just about get 2 people side by side.

Lucky to get under 30 minutes during the winter, pb is 27.58 so hoping to beat it before the winter course starts!!
  • edited September 2018
    Well done @Chef_addick and @McBobbin

I did Greenwich again this morning and managed to take 1 min 16 off my PB. I’ve done 4 now and managed to PB each time, taking 5 mins off my 5k time in just over 6 weeks. I’m chuffed to bits to be honest. Love the Greenwich run, some great volunteers.

Was nothing left at the end so expecting the progress to grind to a halt soon!

Anyone local ever fancies kickstarting a bit of fitness with a walk / job / run, cannot recommend this game enough
  • combining parkrun tourism and football is now a thing. I know of quite a few people who follow their club around the country getting in a local parkrun in the morning
  • I did a 10k race last week - was on track for my fastest ever time at that distance, only to find the finish line was for some bizarre reason at 9.78k 😬
  • Only got home from holiday yesterday and blame jet lag for my non appearance today. Will be back next Saturday.
  • Just signed up for the Chelmsford 10k in November. Never run that before, so probably ought to practice. Slow and steady to get in the miles in my legs, is that the best idea?
  • McBobbin said:

Just signed up for the Chelmsford 10k in November. Never run that before, so probably ought to practice. Slow and steady to get in the miles in my legs, is that the best idea?

the correct answer is that you've not left yourself anywhere near enough time if you've not run before. you really want to do couch to 5k (9 weeks) or similar first and then increase slowly up to 10k

the real world answer given that you're presumably going to do it anyway is that, yes, slow and steady is the way. don't try to run constantly at first, run/walk is the way to go even if you're walking a lot more than running at first. getting in the time on your feet is more important than the mileage
  • rina said:

McBobbin said:

Just signed up for the Chelmsford 10k in November. Never run that before, so probably ought to practice. Slow and steady to get in the miles in my legs, is that the best idea?

the correct answer is that you've not left yourself anywhere near enough time if you've not run before. you really want to do couch to 5k (9 weeks) or similar first and then increase slowly up to 10k

the real world answer given that you're presumably going to do it anyway is that, yes, slow and steady is the way. don't try to run constantly at first, run/walk is the way to go even if you're walking a lot more than running at first. getting in the time on your feet is more important than the mileage
    I've been running 5k for a few years, so can do that quite comfortably. Never any more than that though! Definitely take your advice and try to see how long I can go for, slowly
  • @McBobbin what I’ve been doing is building up by 2ks. When confortable at 5k do 2-3 runs at 7k and keep with that formula. I’m up to 11k.

However, after doing two runs at that distance I’ve had to cut back to 7k and build up again. My problem is now I’m getting a bit more comfortable running, I’m going off to fast in the first 2k thinking in shape to bring my time down, but then quickly start to pay for it

Good luck mate
  • edited September 2018
    Keeping routes and extending the distance close to your home helps, makes it feel less daunting rather than just extending out further
  • Sponsored links:

• @McBobbin what I’ve been doing is building up by 2ks. When confortable at 5k do 2-3 runs at 7k and keep with that formula. I’m up to 11k.

However, after doing two runs at that distance I’ve had to cut back to 7k and build up again. My problem is now I’m getting a bit more comfortable running, I’m going off to fast in the first 2k thinking in shape to bring my time down, but then quickly start to pay for it

Good luck mate

Thanks. Agree with @rina I've not left a lot of time, but I do now have a day at home during the week when I can fit a longer run without time constraints. I'll aim for 7k and see what that feels like. I certainly don't have a target time in mind
  • Keeping routes and extending the distance close to your home helps, makes it feel less daunting rather than just extending out further

Might try that. Where the parkrun is there is a long cycle path with lots of diversions round the park, so can sort of recreate that with some extra loops will increase the distance
  • McBobbin said:

rina said:

McBobbin said:

I've been running 5k for a few years, so can do that quite comfortably. Never any more than that though! Definitely take your advice and try to see how long I can go for, slowly
    sorry, I misread your post, thought you said 'Never run before'

you've got plenty of time to get from 5-10k but you still want to do it steadily. I'd up your longest run each week to 3 1/2 miles, 4 miles, 4 1/2, 5, 5 1/2 and then 6 over the next 6 weeks making sure it's at a really easy pace- one you can hold a conversation at without getting out of breath. also throw in a shorter run or 2 in the week if you can but keep everything easy, you can worry about speed later on once the body is used to it

@AFKABartram are you warming up? the most strain on your body is in the first mile or so and that's just made worse if you're going out too quick. get a good warm up in and you should find things much easier
  • Warming up?

I’m on fire !!!!

• It’s a fair point actually @rina . At home I’ll do some high knee jogging on the spot for say 20 seconds, couple of mins stretching then off I go on the pavements. Probably should do a couple of mins jog first then stretch.

Any advice is gratefully received
  • Also using 11 year old running shoes.

Went in Runners Need last week but can’t justify £100+, whilst the ones I’ve tried in Sports direct the support just feels like bouncy sponge

Went in Runners Need last week but can’t justify £100+, whilst the ones I’ve tried in Sports direct the support just feels like bouncy sponge

Have a look at sportsshoes.com

I'd at least give serious thought to having your gait analysed. Did that with me, and found I overpronate. Got some shoes with a nice solid sole, and it made a difference.
  • edited September 2018
    rina said:

combining parkrun tourism and football is now a thing. I know of quite a few people who follow their club around the country getting in a local parkrun in the morning

I did South Manchester parkrun (in Platts Fields Park, Fallowfield) before the Rochdale match at the end of last season. Also did Colchester Castle the morning of Dulwich's match at Brightlingsea.

Was trying to find something to keep me running between parkruns so have started doing GoodGym (https://www.goodgym.org/) - they are in most London boroughs. A big group of you meet at 6.45pm somewhere, run a short distance to a community facility that needs some work (like a nursery that needs painting), spend an hour doing that, run back, do some exercises (a bit of a rude shock for me), finish at 8.30. I've been doing the Greenwich and Bromley (Penge, really) ones - lovely people and a lot of fun. They are also in Lewisham and Bexley. A couple of days after doing both Greenwich and Bromley GoodGyms, I smashed my personal best at Hilly Fields parkrun, so it does work...

Might do a spot of local parkrun tourism this weekend; currently eyeing up Southwark Park.
  • Sponsored links:

• rina said:

combining parkrun tourism and football is now a thing. I know of quite a few people who follow their club around the country getting in a local parkrun in the morning

I did South Manchester parkrun (in Platts Fields Park, Fallowfield) before the Rochdale match at the end of last season. Also did Colchester Castle the morning of Dulwich's match at Brightlingsea.

Was trying to find something to keep me running between parkruns so have started doing GoodGym (https://www.goodgym.org/) - they are in most London boroughs. A big group of you meet at 6.45pm somewhere, run a short distance to a community facility that needs some work (like a nursery that needs painting), spend an hour doing that, run back, do some exercises (a bit of a rude shock for me), finish at 8.30. I've been doing the Greenwich and Bromley (Penge, really) ones - lovely people and a lot of fun. They are also in Lewisham and Bexley. A couple of days after doing both Greenwich and Bromley GoodGyms, I smashed my personal best at Hilly Fields parkrun, so it does work...

Might do a spot of local parkrun tourism this weekend; currently eyeing up Southwark Park.
    Brilliant idea and very rewarding I bet.
  • McBobbin said:

Goid practice for New Years day Parkrun @McBobbin . did maldon promenade at 9 and chelmsford at 1030 this year.

Incidentally i finshed 1 place behind the same person at both runs.
  • Daddy_Pig said:

McBobbin said:

Goid practice for New Years day Parkrun @McBobbin . did maldon promenade at 9 and chelmsford at 1030 this year.

Incidentally i finshed 1 place behind the same person at both runs.
    I wouldn't be too sure of me making a news years day parkrun, even if I don't tend to do much on New year's Eve!

Did my first "long" run today... 7.3 k in 50 mins. More of a "pootle" than a run, but the weather was lovely, as was the scenery, and I didn't get out of breath. Feet are killing me now, mind.
  • That’s how I built up @McBobbin

Did a slow 10k Wednesday night just to get a bit of distance in my legs. Got to work all weekend so bit gutted to be missing Parkrun this week.

Not looking forward to it getting colder
  • That’s how I built up @McBobbin

Did a slow 10k Wednesday night just to get a bit of distance in my legs. Got to work all weekend so bit gutted to be missing Parkrun this week.

Not looking forward to it getting colder

I've got a pair of nice jogging leggings to wear. Will stick my shorts on over the top because it isn't a pretty sight. Less shapely male arse, more like someone giving a Chinese burn to a bin bag filled with sausage meat.
  • @AFKABartram did you do the couch to 5k method, or did you just lump straight into 5km park runs? I've not done one since the first with Kev a month ago, as not been at home any weekend, but - never having run before - my legs gave me grief for days afterwards.. Am now wondering whether 'it's only 5km' was a bit ambitious and if I should start couch to 5km to help build up the tolerance...or whether to just plough on with park runs and 'sod the pain' (thinking of running with Kev @ Danson tomorrow...).
  • @AFKABartram did you do the couch to 5k method, or did you just lump straight into 5km park runs? I've not done one since the first with Kev a month ago, as not been at home any weekend, but - never having run before - my legs gave me grief for days afterwards.. Am now wondering whether 'it's only 5km' was a bit ambitious and if I should start couch to 5km to help build up the tolerance...or whether to just plough on with park runs and 'sod the pain' (thinking of running with Kev @ Danson tomorrow...).

@AFKABartram did you do the couch to 5k method, or did you just lump straight into 5km park runs? I've not done one since the first with Kev a month ago, as not been at home any weekend, but - never having run before - my legs gave me grief for days afterwards.. Am now wondering whether 'it's only 5km' was a bit ambitious and if I should start couch to 5km to help build up the tolerance...or whether to just plough on with park runs and 'sod the pain' (thinking of running with Kev @ Danson tomorrow...).

c25k is brilliant but you could probably try jumping into it halfway through the programme with your cycling fitness, you'll have less need than others to build up your cv fitness
  • cheers @rina you're right...cycling fitness was a big help...heart rate and breathing normal throughout the entire run (Kev was not happy as I chatted my way round...) BUT oh my knees for about 4 days afterwards...couldn't move....
  • Daddy_Pig said:

I am a member of Dartford Harriers and I train there every Tuesday and Thursday. I haven't done a park run yet as I am a bit slow because of my weight and age. I don't want to embarrass myself

Nothing embarassing mate. Loads of people all different shapes and sizes down there. My Dad does Dartford in about 40 minutes and cant move for the rest of weekend yet he loves it. He treats it as a social event and he's made a group of friends and they run together.

Since I posted that, I have done three Park Runs at Dartford and have a PB of 29.17
  • Well done @Duncan270566

I just done my 5k on a treadmill at lunch as I can’t Parkrun tomorrow.

Massively demoralising when the guy on the treadmill next to you is smashing away 7miles at 10mph !