Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Options
    This is the first time I have ventured into this thread to have a read, has a super fit athlete hacked AFKA's account :wink:
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Considered going this morning, Instead hitting a 5 miler at lunch.
  • Options
    Ran like a wounded moose and recorded a PW as opposed to a PB. Hadn't run for a few weeks due to holiday so put it down to that. Will perceiver.
  • Options
    Any Park Runs on a Sunday ? As I work,Saturdays
  • Options

Any Park Runs on a Sunday ? As I work,Saturdays

nope, they're only ever on a Saturday (with the exception of christmas day and new year). Sundays are Junior parkrun day.

great run local is a similar concept on sundays but the only 2 in London at the moment are in Stratford and Beckton
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Ran like a wounded moose and recorded a PW as opposed to a PB. Hadn't run for a few weeks due to holiday so put it down to that. Will perceiver.

Well done mate, was working today so knocked one out at 7.30am

And then I went for a run, wahaaaay
  • Options

Riviera said:

Well done mate, was working today so knocked one out at 7.30am

And then I went for a run, wahaaaay
    Soooooo @DaveMehmet
  • Options
    Anybody doing the marathon down here this weekend?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Run my third 10k+ in 3 weeks tonight and the first time I’ve run a 10k within the hour. Well pleased with that.

Was lovely running conditions tonight; no sun, no wind and not too cold

Well played sir! Going to try 10k tomorrow... Won't be an hour, but just want to finish it
  • Options
    Did 3.5k tonight in 31min, business as usual.
  • Options

Run my third 10k+ in 3 weeks tonight and the first time I’ve run a 10k within the hour. Well pleased with that.

That’s impressive, have you just stated running or have you been into it for some time?
  • Options
    edited October 2018

That’s impressive, have you just stated running or have you been into it for some time?
    I started beginning of June, couple of days after my birthday as I wanted to shift a bit of weight and get a bit fitter. Not done any exercise for about 8 years. Been either running or gym at least 4 times a week since. Not really done any weight and not pulling up any trees but definitely feel fitter for it.
  • Options
    First 10k just now. Took me 1hr 7 mins. Comfortable enough so something I can work on
  • Options
    I started doing the couch to 5k (I wasn't a couch potato but figured it shouldn't preclude me).

Only doing it on a machine in the gym, so it's not quite as hard. But fuck me, my knees.... is this what getting old is? My knees shouldn't hurt this much... should they!?

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I started doing the couch to 5k (I wasn't a couch potato but figured it shouldn't preclude me).

Only doing it on a machine in the gym, so it's not quite as hard. But fuck me, my knees.... is this what getting old is? My knees shouldn't hurt this much... should they!?

I find treadmills quite hard on my knees, its a relentless pounding without much variation in stride. My advice would be go outside and if possible run on natural trails. Good pair of runners helps too.
  • Options
    What I've read on the subject, don't do massive strides with your legs right out in front of you, aim for shorter faster strides, legs going behind you.

My knees are pretty bad as well!
  • Options
    Oakster said:

JiMMy 85 said:

I find treadmills quite hard on my knees, its a relentless pounding without much variation in stride. My advice would be go outside and if possible run on natural trails. Good pair of runners helps too.
  • Options
    Paul Sinton-Hewitt, the founder of Park Run, has just been on 5Live. Been going for 15 years and have just had their 5 millionth subscriber. Amazing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We had 277 at Greenwich Park Run last Saturday, incredible.
  • Options
    Is there anyone on here that does the Shorne Woods or Great Lines Parkrun?
  • Options
    Yep, I do Shorne Woods. The start is congested bit sorts itself out relatively quickly.
  • Options
    I do great lines most weeks ! Good open course , usually over 400 there
  • Options
    As per my CiRF/LiRF training (British Athletics Coach/Leader in Running Fitness Qualifications what I done back in 2015), we were encouraged to tell our students to never run on a flat treadmill and always use a 1-2% gradient to simulate the conditions of outdoor running and it will help to fire your quad & glutes properly (and it will help protect your knees).

If your knees are sore, try strengthening your quads as that controls your patella tendon, the alignment of which across the knee joint is the main cause of runners knee. It comes from an inbalance between the outer quad and the inner quad. This is especially important for those coming over from cycling as the outer quad will be a whole lot stronger than the inner teardrop quad. For full professional guidance, speak to a PT in your gym or go see a physio.
  • Options
    I always have the treadmill on 0.5% gradient for running