Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Oldham v Charlton | Sat 02 Sep | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Oldham Athletic v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 2nd September 2017 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Ross Joyce (Cleveland)

Introduction

With the Transfer Window closing in its usual way last night its time to take stock of the Charlton squad, accept the hand that we’ve been dealt with and continue to look forward to the bright season we’ve had so far. Of course with the first International weekend now upon us that leaves us without an experienced Striker in what could see our promotion hopes extinct and deep in the brown stuff – Yet this Saturday sees the Addicks travel to the last of their four away trips on the road before we return to the Valley; with a trip to Oldham Athletic.

The Opposition
Name: Oldham Athletic | Manager: John Sheridan
League Form: (P)-4 | (W)-0 | (D)-0 | (L)-0 | (GS)-2 | (GC)-8

Because of deadline day yesterday I decided to delay the preview 24-hours in case of any movement from either club and for Oldham that involved a busy day with four players joining the club in an effort to get the Latics first points on the board this season…

Because for reasons just mentioned its not been the greatest of starts for John Sheridan and his men this season, defeat in every game so far has left Oldham in the relegation zone and are only off the bottom courtesy of goal difference… Yet despite being one of the founding Premier League teams, Oldham are now an established League One side and having been at this level for 20-years (the Latics were relegated in 1997 from the Championship) it won’t going to be a case of going quietly by any means.

Incoming over the last 24-hours have seen the likes of Eoin Doyle (Striker) on loan from Preston who scored 21-goals at this level for Chesterfield just two years ago whilst two new Goalkeepers have been signed with Haitian International; Johny Placide coming in on a free transfer and Jack Ruddy coming in on loan from Wolves… With the Addicks having picked up just the single point against Oldham last season, this without doubt will be the type of must win game if we want to be promoted and so continue our good form from August.

Charlton Team News
This time last season the Addicks were having a break from Football as various players left on International Duty. This time round though its not the same story and despite Josh Magennis (Northern Ireland) and Jay Dasilva (England U20s) being with their respective squads, its not enough for this match to be cancelled and so the show must continue.

The question though on many fans lips is who will play up front this week… With Magennis absent, many presumed it would be Lee Novak leading the line yet with the Gateshead-born Striker leaving for Scunthorpe on deadline day we’re left with the inexperience of either Joe Dodoo (signed yesterday from Rangers) or Recco Hackett-Fairchild who at least has the added benefit of familiarity amongst the rest of the squad. Of course with Ben Reeves impressing in the Football League Trophy on Tuesday night there could be the potential to see Billy Clarke filling in as Striker with Ben Reeves operating in the middle of midfield… Who knows these days!!

Amos
Solly | Bauer | Pearce | Jackson
Kashi | Forster-Caskey
Holmes | Reeves | Fosu
Clarke

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Sarr | Konsa | Aribo | Lapslie | Dodoo | Ahearne-Grant

Prediction
I notice I’m repeating myself a bit in this preview yet as stated, if we want to win then we must win this sort of game… There were too many lost points against teams towards the bottom of the league last season and its imperative that we learn to break these sides down, with so many potential changes to the Oldham squad in such short notice, this is the time to take advantage of that.

Comments

• Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Solid away win 2-0
  • 2-0 away win
    Back line would not like to see Jacko start, either switch solly and put DJk/Konsa RB or even Sarr there would be a better option LB.

Worrying enough having no CF, Clarke up front false 9 would be ok for the odd game
  • Not as confident as I was 24 hours ago.
    Our strongest 11 is a match for anyone in this league but overall we are still short in a few positions.
    If Jackson does start at left back and Clarke as a false no.9 this is a real test of how we cope.
    We are lucky that in Oldham we are playing one of the weakest teams in our league.
    2.1 Charlton but more in hope than any real confidence.

• Dr Kish is saying tomorrow we've got a ref who's only 31.

Younger than Katrien.

• With the news that Crofts has gone I've replaced him on the bench with Lapslie

• Do people think Robinson will chuck in Joe Doodoo up front?

Or perhaps even start with Hackett-Lovechild ?

• A really hard game to predict with us missing 2 regulars, and Oldham having made so many last minute signings

Agree with your team, maybe Djiksteel on the bench instead of Lapslie, and KAG instead of Reeco as he has been covering the wide positions this season
  • I reckon Clarke will start up top, Reeves number 10 with the front four rotating.

We're gonna Barcelona Oldham
  • Sponsored links:

• 1 - 0 to the Addicks
  • A really hard game to predict with us missing 2 regulars, and Oldham having made so many last minute signings

Agree with your team, maybe Djiksteel on the bench instead of Lapslie, and KAG instead of Reeco as he has been covering the wide positions this season

FFS... Forgot about KAG - Swapped him for RHF
  • Reeves hasn't trained since Crawley win according to newshopper. Welcome Dodoo..
  • Hopefully the effort of getting up there will be rewarded 2-4 to the addicks.
  • 0-2 to KR's Blue/Red and White Army.
  • Reeves has not trained since the Crawley game, so I can't see him starting.
  • I think we are going to slip up here. 1-0 to Oldham.
  • 1-0 Charlton after we miss a multitude of chances.
  • Sponsored links:

• Tough call this fixture. 1-1
  • Oggy Red said:

Dr Kish is saying tomorrow we've got a ref who's only 31.

Younger than Katrien.

Hopefully more rational
  • dickplumb said:

Reeves has not trained since the Crawley game, so I can't see him starting.

Everyone knew he was made of glass.

• another clean sheet 2 nil win.
  • Amos
    Barnes Bauer Pearce Solly
    Forster-Caskey Kashi
    Fosu Clarke Holmes
    Hackett-Fairchild

Phillips Konsa Bauer Dijksteel Reeves Ahearne-Grant Dodoo

1-1
  • I reckon we'll hit a few from range in this game. 3-1 win, Holmes AND JFC to score worldies
  • dickplumb said:

I think we are going to slip up here. 1-0 to Oldham.

I fear this as well. The timing of the Novak/Dodoo transfer couldn't have been worse given Magennis is on international duty.

To be fair about Reeves not training since Crawley, I'm guessing they had Wednesday off so he only would have missed yesterday then today was match prep?
  • Was on a high now on a Dodoo!

This will go two ways...

New signing scores a hat-trick and Gobbo is a scouse genius 0-3

Or

Josh sorely missing and "Do you know the way to" without a win and a goal this season sneak a 1-0

Are we allowed two predictions?
  • Right now, I hear the Oldham squad are studying the match video of our defeat at Plymouth Argyle.

They'll be busy working on their set pieces - and planning to play with 6 defenders holding their 18 yard line, once they've nicked that 1st goal from a corner.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!