Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cameron Stewart back on trial

Comments

• Options
    Agreed. The above has strengthened us, with Kashi, Clarke, Marshall & Fosu, added to last year's squad, which really should have been top 6.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    In attacking areas I'd say the squad was reasonably strong now, the obvious gaps are further back

Another positive going forward, is that we should have fewer injuries than in the past due to
    a) a much better pre season than last summer's shambles, so the team should have better fitness and conditioning
    b) acquiring more "battle hardened" players than in the past, now we are no longer buying players from a spreadsheet.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    RCC can fill in at RB and Barnes either side. Winning the bleep test may give him a window to replace Page but he was poor in our U21 semi loss. Still think Archie is the answer here. And other kids like Lapslie, Djiksteel, Umerah and Hanlan to kick on together with under-rated KAG.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

We are only a few players short of a squad capable of challenging for promotion.

If we keep Holmes, get in Reeves, a good left back, decent cover for Solly at right back and a decent goalie, we are pretty much there.

If we then sell a few of our better players, then we're not, but let's wait and see.

At this stage we are definitely building a stronger squad, we need it to continue and not go into reverse.

Ok, I'm not confident on the owner's past record, but I'm hoping that he does want promotion this season, even if it is so he has more chance of selling up.

Let's wait and see.

absolutely spot on!

GK - Phillips, need another
    RB - Solly, need another
    LB - Page, need another
    CB - Bauer, Konsa, Lennon, Pearce, Texeira, Sarr
    CDM/CM - Kashi, Crofts, JFC, Aribo
    AM - New (Reeves), Clarke
    Wingers - Holmes, Marshall, Fosu, Ceballos New (Stewart)
    Str - Magennis, Watt, Ajose, Novak, Ahearne-Grant
    Added them back in for perspective. I think we have a decent competitive L1 side in the works. We need a few gems to make us truly competitive IMO...

I still think we need a better strike force.
  • Options

We are only a few players short of a squad capable of challenging for promotion.

If we keep Holmes, get in Reeves, a good left back, decent cover for Solly at right back and a decent goalie, we are pretty much there.

If we then sell a few of our better players, then we're not, but let's wait and see.

At this stage we are definitely building a stronger squad, we need it to continue and not go into reverse.

Ok, I'm not confident on the owner's past record, but I'm hoping that he does want promotion this season, even if it is so he has more chance of selling up.

Let's wait and see.

absolutely spot on!

RB - Solly, need another
    LB - Page, need another
    CB - Bauer, Konsa, Lennon, Pearce
    Wingers - Holmes, Marshall, Fosu, New (Stewart)
    Str - Magennis, Watt, Ajose, Novak

LB is the main priority, GK is a must too. Reeves is still clearly a target and that would do. Might not even need a RB with Konsa able to play there plus Barnes/Charles-Cook in reserve.

Ceballos, Tex, Sarr all to leave and we would have a squad capable of promotion.

Early business has been good, don't expect it to continue too long but can remain hopeful surely? Until something bad happens that is.
    Reeves and Dasilva to come in, would be happy with Stewart as he'd be more than good enough for League One, otherwise Mavididi is still one who Robinson wants.

You should also add Dijksteel to the list of midfielders as I think he will be involved this season.

Get Reeves across the line first and focus on working on the defensive and goalkeeper situation.
  • Options
    Still think we need another striker
  • Options
    Yeah in terms of numbers, only need a GK.
    Konsa/Solly RB and Lennon/Page as LB. Tex, Sarr, Pearce and Bauer CB.
    Would suggest Ceballos is a CAM rather than a winger.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Let's wait and see.

absolutely spot on!

RB - Solly, need another
    LB - Page, need another
    CB - Bauer, Konsa, Lennon, Pearce, Texeira, Sarr
    Wingers - Holmes, Marshall, Fosu, Ceballos New (Stewart)
    Str - Magennis, Watt, Ajose, Novak, Ahearne-Grant
    Added them back in for perspective. I think we have a decent competitive L1 side in the works. We need a few gems to make us truly competitive IMO...

I still think we need a better strike force.
    If KR is only playing 1 striker, the goals will need to mainly come from the attacking midfielders and the sole striker.
  • Options
    What about Jackson, you've not even mentioned our goalscoring super sub !
  • Options
    I'm trying to remember if I actually saw him play in the flesh or if he was only with us during a period we weren't on TV and I was not in the UK. If I did see him, he didn't make much of an impression, obviously.

A trial is a trial, nothing wrong with doing this, we have picked up the odd decent player this way in the past. Looking at him as a potential signing it worries me that he career seems to have been on a generally downward trajectory, but tat the same time, he is a good age and has a bit of higher level pedigree. On the right deal (sensible wages and maybe an initial year with an option to extend to 2 or 3 years) he'd probably offer some decent depth, with the potential to make himself a regular if he finds his best form.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2017
    This is a top 6 squad.

Phillips
    Solly Bauer Pearce Page
    JFC Kashi
    Marshall Clarke Holmes
    Magennis

Subs

Goalie, Konsa, Lennon, Aribo, Fosu, Ajose, Watt

Can't make the squad

Novak, Ceballos, Crofts, Jackson, Ahearne-Grant, Barnes, Dijksteel, Charles-Cook & Hanlan.

Assuming Texeira & Sarr leave or they can be added in as well.

If, a big if, you add a goalie, Da Silva or someone better than Page, cover at right back, Reeves and possibly a decent striker, without losing any of the first eleven, we'll be cooking on gas :wink:

PS KR says he wants a further 6/7 players.
  • Options
    Unless he was crocked/rehabilitating from some sort of long term injury, Stewart must have played some football last season somewhere at whatever anonymous level to keep up fitness. It's what footballers do.

As a footballer, presumably he's desperate to play - which is why he's turned up for a trial at Charlton.
    I would expect him to impress and be really hungry to take this chance.

Or perhaps he's only here because he's leaned on old mates at Charlton to just come along and do a proper pre-season and be fit enough to grab an offer anywhere?

• Options

Trying to be more positive - Stewart could be decent backup to Holmes and Marshall. Reeves in at number 10 and another couple of signings and we have a very decent chance of promotion. Loan striker in would be lovely (one that can score=even better!).

Everyone seems to want another striker and yet everyone dissed my idea of getting David Ball in here, who scored 14 last year and could have been brought in for nothing. I am trying to figure out why?

• Options

Trying to be more positive - Stewart could be decent backup to Holmes and Marshall. Reeves in at number 10 and another couple of signings and we have a very decent chance of promotion. Loan striker in would be lovely (one that can score=even better!).

Everyone seems to want another striker and yet everyone dissed my idea of getting David Ball in here, who scored 14 last year and could have been brought in for nothing. I am trying to figure out why?

I didn't diss you. I think Ball's quality at this level, but I never thought we'd get him as he's a Northerner and of course he did stay up North. Fleetwood to Rotherham.
  • Options
    I saw the headline and thought he'd been nicked.
  • Options
    Good to know. Thanks.

I've heard (somewhere, I think maybe on this thread) that James Henry wants to be in London. Should we make a run at him or are we all done getting wingers for the season?
  • Options

Does he really mean as well as the 3 we already have? If not that must only if certain players leave? He talked about 2 players per position, that would leave us with a fair bit more than that before you add u23s such as Dijksteel.
  • Options
    He still beat Watt in the bleep test...
  • Options

This is a top 6 squad.

Phillips
    Solly Bauer Pearce Page
    JFC Kashi
    Marshall Clarke Holmes
    Magennis

Subs

Goalie, Konsa, Lennon, Aribo, Fosu, Ajose, Watt

Can't make the squad

Novak, Ceballos, Crofts, Jackson, Ahearne-Grant, Barnes, Dijksteel, Charles-Cook & Hanlan.

Assuming Texeira & Sarr leave or they can be added in as well.

If, a big if, you add a goalie, Da Silva or someone better than Page, cover at right back, Reeves and possibly a decent striker, without losing any of the first eleven, we'll be cooking on gas :wink:

I don't disagree with any of that but I do think that we can't rely on Page who is, apparently, out until October - which, probably, means February. With this in ind I would suggest that we need two left backs. De Silva would be ideal and if he is signed I'd probably be ok with the idea of playing someone out of position should we need to - Lennon for example.
  • Options
    I have absolutely no memory of him ever playing for us
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I have absolutely no memory of him ever playing for us

Same here.... there has been so many!
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Does he really mean as well as the 3 we already have? If not that must only if certain players leave? He talked about 2 players per position, that would leave us with a fair bit more than that before you add u23s such as Dijksteel.
    I don't think this is "net" another 6/7. If we get rid of Ajose and Watt we'll probably need another striker, but only one as KR wants to play one up front and I think Hanlan and/or Umerah can be fourth choice.

Two fullbacks.

Goalkeeper.

Another attacking player--Reeves perhaps.

And then another winger i.e. Stewart would be six.

I then expect the following to go:
    Ajose
    Tex
    Sarr

If Konsa or Bauer go then we'll need another CB,
  • Options
    He needs to start again at a lower level for someone who will snap him up and work his way back to the championship. I believe he could be good enough one day, just not right now.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

He needs to start again at a lower level for someone who will snap him up and work his way back to the championship. I believe he could be good enough one day, just not right now.

He's currently better than Reeves.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

BIG statement
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Weird that someone who played 26 times in L1 in 2015/16 couldn't find a L1 or L2 club for the following season. Has been training with Oldham recently
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Completely different players and we've barely seen Reeves play for us yet.
  • Options
    so didn't he play for us the first half of the season before Duchatelet took over on loan, and wasnt renewed because the spivs had run out of cash? If so I thought he was decent, funny how thats not mentioned in the interview if its him..
  • Options
    Good player who has clearly lost his way and been caught up in the horrible side of football that no one in the authorities want to speak about and sort out. I hope he finds his way again soon and gets a club.

I do think the next move for him is important and one he definitely has to get right. But at the same time, he can't afford to be so picky. If a League One club called him up and did offer him X amount and said he would be on the bench, don't turn it down because of being on the bench, at least he would be back in football and therefore is more attractive to other clubs than he is currently out of the game and out of match fitness.

He seems to have admitted that he is obviously to blame just as much as how unlucky he has been and the tough side of the industry. Maybe he had so much so young and that's gone against him now he should be in his prime of his career.

If finances were available I would definitely sign him until the end of the season and send KAG out on loan to a League Two side. Won't happen though.