Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How do the Tories need to change?

Comments

• Options

Huskaris said:

One thing I'd like to say is that May deserves a bit of credit, even from the most biased on here for having the political bravery to talk about the organ donor register and having to opt out.

I know Wales already have the soft opt out etc, but for me, I opted in once I read a thread on here. It often takes someone hearing a personal story about how much someone's lives have changed/been saved as I did on here, in order for people to take the decision to opt in. That for me is completely ridiculous as a system. Much better that someone has to take the 2 minutes to opt out if they care enough about it to let their organ rot in the ground rather than save someone's life, than have to fill out a form to save someone's life that they might not have the time or find the time to fill in.

She might have coughed whilst saying it though, so forgive me if I've focused on the wrong part.

If the extent of her political bravery only extends as far as that then we are more fecked than I thought.

She's right of course that the system should be turned on its head but political bravery ? I don't think so.

I really don't know what to say to this. All I can say is the pig headed partisan views of some on here frustrate me to the point of despair.

7,000 people on the waiting list didn't hear a cough, they heard the opportunity to have a new lease of life.

Blue rosette though, so let's put the policy down.
  • Options

Huskaris said:

Huskaris said:

One thing I'd like to say is that May deserves a bit of credit, even from the most biased on here for having the political bravery to talk about the organ donor register and having to opt out.

I know Wales already have the soft opt out etc, but for me, I opted in once I read a thread on here. It often takes someone hearing a personal story about how much someone's lives have changed/been saved as I did on here, in order for people to take the decision to opt in. That for me is completely ridiculous as a system. Much better that someone has to take the 2 minutes to opt out if they care enough about it to let their organ rot in the ground rather than save someone's life, than have to fill out a form to save someone's life that they might not have the time or find the time to fill in.

She might have coughed whilst saying it though, so forgive me if I've focused on the wrong part.

If the extent of her political bravery only extends as far as that then we are more fecked than I thought.

She's right of course that the system should be turned on its head but political bravery ? I don't think so.

I really don't know what to say to this. All I can say is the pig headed partisan views of some on here frustrate me to the point of despair.

7,000 people on the waiting list didn't hear a cough, they heard the opportunity to have a new lease of life.

It was a Labour policy statement first of course but I don't remember you coming out and praising Corbyn's political courage a week or two back.

independent.co.uk/news/health/jeremy-corbyn-organ-donation-opt-out-donor-labour-party-conference-speech-reform-rules-latest-a7969896.html

Funny that...
    Didn't see it. Genuinely good on him and if his pressure has caused May to act then he deserves a lot of credit. Same with Milliband and the Energy cap idea. At the same time you have to concede that pragmatism is good. If you adopt the best policies the country benefits, regardless of who proposes them.

Country before party. Not pig headed partisanship
  • Options

The main planks of her speech were organ donation (welcome), JAMs (but no actual policy changes, and she introduced the bedroom tax) while universal credit changes force families into real poverty. Her final flagship was Housing, where she promised a paltrey £2bn for new rental properties while Help to Buy on homes up to £600k bought by the wealthy gets £10bn. Given Right to buy, there will be less social housing available than being built. Politician need to look abroad and realise that the housing crisis cannot be sold by subsidising home ownership.

The devil will be in the detail as well, the government stopped funding for the building of new homes will the lowest rental incomes years ago. Funding was only approved for higher rental properties to be built and has acted to artificially inflate the rental market. But they needed to do something after creating of a generation of buy-to-let landlords to sustain an economy over-reliant on the housing market.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/social-housing-government-funded-properties-rent-falls-97-per-cent-study-homes-communities-agency-a7799116.html
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Huskaris said:

Huskaris said:

It was a Labour policy statement first of course but I don't remember you coming out and praising Corbyn's political courage a week or two back.

independent.co.uk/news/health/jeremy-corbyn-organ-donation-opt-out-donor-labour-party-conference-speech-reform-rules-latest-a7969896.html

Funny that...
    Didn't see it. Genuinely good on him and if his pressure has caused May to act then he deserves a lot of credit. Same with Milliband and the Energy cap idea. At the same time you have to concede that pragmatism is good. If you adopt the best policies the country benefits, regardless of who proposes them.

Country before party. Not pig headed partisanship
    Completely agree. Not that they credit each other with the ideas, and the daily fail will moan when its a labour idea and praise the Tories for it (and vice versa).

I'd much sooner party consensus where possible.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I recall the Tories hammering Milliband with his energy cap policy. They have adopted many of the Milliband policies they slagged off and ridiculed in 2015. In terms of the organ donor announcement - Corbyn announced it as policy the week before, but good May has announced it as we don't have to wait for lives to be saved. Death is a subject many of us don't really want to dwell on and having an opt out scheme means if you are opposed to anybody having your organs you can do something about it.

Where I respect May is she is clearly hanging on for the good of her party as they are in a terrible position at the moment. At the same time, I am angry as her party has really made a right cock up of things over the last few years. We are are laughing stock and impotent in the most important negotiations the country have faced in my memory. We can all have a laugh at the inept Tories, but it wasn't May's fault that Boris pushed her to assert her authority when she needed to rest before her speech, it wasn't May's fault the security was so poor and it wasn't May's fault that they decided to use Pritt stick to hold their letters up. But it was May's fault that she called an election which has ben a disaster, one which she didn't need to call and was in fact reckless to call, and the real issue with the conference is the reactions of the Tories to her performance. Corbyn and Cable have hardly tried to make anything out of it.

She has to assert some authority and I think her only way of doing so would be to announce she will be standing down immediately after Brexit. This would actually strengthen her position I think. Her first act after that should then be to sack Boris and give the reason that he is a traitor - and get the cabinet to back this. She should also find a way to punish Shapps, which isn't so easy as he is finished within the party given that he is a dishonest proverbial. Mind you, I hope she doesn't take my honest advice as the country needs these useless people out. The Tory party then needs to find itself again under a leader like Davidson.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Huskaris said:

Huskaris said:

Mmm. "Put the policy down"

Which part of my saying that "she's right of course" are you having trouble understanding ?

• Options
    Robert Halfon (ex Tory minister) thinks they need to radically change and puts forward some ideas.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/oct/10/tarnished-tories-must-undergo-radical-change-says-former-minister-robert-halfon
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Someone more knowledgeable can enlighten me here. I keep hearing on student loans etc 'maintenance grants' - and the need to reinstate them? What was actually stopped as far as I can see there is a form of grant still available (the range depends on parents income which I still find odd as all uni students are adults in their own right). Was this in addition to that?

Building housing is one thing and in many areas is needed, but unless prices reduce I'm not sure of the help that will give for those wanting to buy. They've built loads in greenwich or on the old ferrier estate, but to buy you need £500k ish.

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Someone more knowledgeable can enlighten me here. I keep hearing on student loans etc 'maintenance grants' - and the need to reinstate them? What was actually stopped as far as I can see there is a form of grant still available (the range depends on parents income which I still find odd as all uni students are adults in their own right). Was this in addition to that?

Building housing is one thing and in many areas is needed, but unless prices reduce I'm not sure of the help that will give for those wanting to buy. They've built loads in greenwich or on the old ferrier estate, but to buy you need £500k ish.

Have they built more houses on the old Ferrier estate than were demolished ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Rob7Lee said:

Have they built more houses on the old Ferrier estate than were demolished ?
    believe once completed yes, 1900 homes demolished 4,700 to be built but don't know how many have been built so far. Was something like a 20 year development, which I think is about 8 years in.
  • Options
    May was I interviewed yesterday on LBC (later snippets replayed on BBC Radio) .. she sounds at the edge of a nervous breakdown, panic stricken, talking so fast as to be nearly incomprehensible and totally evasive.. and this is the 'leader' of our nation .. it has got quite ridiculous ..
    May is at the mercy of the real powers behind the throne, the 1922 committee and they'll keep her in power so long as they can 'control' her
  • Options

May was I interviewed yesterday on LBC (later snippets replayed on BBC Radio) .. she sounds at the edge of a nervous breakdown, panic stricken, talking so fast as to be nearly incomprehensible and totally evasive.. and this is the 'leader' of our nation .. it has got quite ridiculous ..
    May is at the mercy of the real powers behind the throne, the 1922 committee and they'll keep her in power so long as they can 'control' her

She also completely evaded the question of if she would vote for Brexit should there be another vote.

The whole Brexit thing is a complete cluster fuck from top to bottom. I wouldn't trust the British ruling class to organise my sock draw.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    I think it was a stupid question. I mean if she answered yes, we would all know she was an idiot - which she isn't. Brexit clearly hasn't been the easy ride we were told it would be during teh referendum. People forget that there are a significant number of conservatives who are passionately against Brexit and the best leader to keep the party stumbling along is somebody who has a foot in both camps. I think that is why she is still leader. A rabid Brexiter in charge would likely cause a collapse.

I bang on about Ruth Davidson being the leader that Labour would fear, but the truth is, the Brexiters wouldn't accept her if she was manouvred in. Boris would be a disaster and a leadership election now would be likely to result in a general election.

Survation, the only polling company who got the election result right are saying that 69% of people are gainst a hard Brexit so if we do get to that point, I am sure public opinion will kill Brexit. If there was an election now and Labour got in, a soft Brexit would be more likely. Those that oppose Brexit should want May to hang on for a couple of years. If she doesn't get a deal, which is looking likely, it will kill the Conservatives (force them to re-invent themselves) as well as Brexit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watching PMQ's.
    Theresa May is answering slightly differently to normal. Frequent short curt answers to her critics, and unusually aggressive at times. This is not a Prime Minister at ease and there is a sense of her thinking 'bollocks to everybody'.
    It is a matter of time clearly, but Theresa May looks like a Prime Minister but doesn't look like somebody in charge, the barrel has about eight holes and she only has about five corks.
    My MP Heidi Alexander has just waded in, Theresa May said Heidi 'could not be more wrong'.
  • Options
    I genuinely think that the government are nearing breaking point. Regardless of the propaganda that the cabinet and party are united it's patently obvious that they are completely fractured.

I think the next crisis May encounters will be the breaking point.
  • Options
    Gideon has some suggestions https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/oct/13/tories-must-confront-leadership-issue-says-george-osborne

Genuine question for all on either the right, left or centre (that's @PragueAddick then!). Is it wrong for me to prefer Theresa May to George Osborne?
  • Options

Gideon has some suggestions https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/oct/13/tories-must-confront-leadership-issue-says-george-osborne

Genuine question for all on either the right, left or centre (that's @PragueAddick then!). Is it wrong for me to prefer Theresa May to George Osborne?

No, can't stand him whereas I only have a mild dislike for Aunty.
  • Options
    Agree. George Osborne is the reason Theresa May had to happen. He's the sum total of everything that is wrong with the world made flesh
  • Options

She also completely evaded the question of if she would vote for Brexit should there be another vote.

The whole Brexit thing is a complete cluster fuck from top to bottom. I wouldn't trust the British ruling class to organise my sock draw.

Don't worry, you won't be able to afford socks soon: let alone a drawer to keep them in.
  • Options
    Very good editorial in the New Statesman which concludes:

The day before her big speech I watched as May was rushed like a fugitive from her car and into the Hilton hotel at Deansgate. She was preternaturally pale and seemed haunted, even hunted. She was not enjoying this. She was enduring it – out of ambition but also out of a stubborn sense of duty, admirable in its way. I wrote in the summer that hers had become the masochism premiership. Now, in the autumn, she seems to have no greater purpose than to occupy the crease and take the blows. It is joyless. And this joylessness is affecting not only her fractured party but the morale of the nation, which feels leaderless and adrift.

https://google.co.uk/amp/s/www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2017/10/whatever-happened-theresa-may-s-politics-common-good%3Famp
  • Options
    Is the Universal Credit issue going to break the Tory government?
  • Options

Is the Universal Credit issue going to break the Tory government?

Could well do @Callumcafc

• Options
    Thank goodness we have taken back so much control that the ruling party, our government, no longer deems it necessary to vote in support of their own policies.

I know that the idea is that they either don't suffer a defeat or are not seen to be supporting an unpopular policy but do they really think that the public are impressed by this?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!