Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Muslims Like Us

First of two 'fly on the wall' documentaries about a group of 10 muslims unknown to each other, brought together to live in a house for 10 days.

From the radical ex-boxer convert and the elderly English woman convert (who uses her Islamic faith as a framework for her life) to the flighty (and feisty) young Asian English girl to the gay twenty something who has a penchant for big hairy guys.

Fascinating and eye opening TV in complete contrast to the current views we get to see of Islam and its vast numbers of its followers. Some awful stories, some heart wrenching stories and some truly lovely generous and warm people on the show.

Looking forward to part 2 tonight.

Comments

• Options
    Nice one
  • Options

No, you must have got that wrong.
    Islam is inherently evil, as our various resident bigots experts will be along to point out shortly.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    i found it interesting but working with a few muslin people, that show wasn't an accurate view of Muslims in this country imo. not a bigot but just thought it wasn't very accurate, for a start and i can quote him the guy at work the other week out on lunch saw 2 gay guys and said they should be thrown from the highest point, and hes very moderate Algerian, who comes to the pub after work admittedly doesn't drink. wont be watching part 2.
  • Options

i found it interesting but working with a few muslin people, that show wasn't an accurate view of Muslims in this country imo. not a bigot but just thought it wasn't very accurate, for a start and i can quote him the guy at work the other week out on lunch saw 2 gay guys and said they should be thrown from the highest point, and hes very moderate Algerian, who comes to the pub after work admittedly doesn't drink. wont be watching part 2.

So you're saying most Muslims are more like the average Christian?
  • Options
    the program was specifically about muslims and the islamic faith? it wasnt called faiths like us it was called muslims like us, of course there is homophobia in a way in other religions. although its not really homophobia its just a religous belief, but the bbc attempt at making out the other housemates were so shocked at what abdul haqq was saying is a load of bollocks i would estimate 70% of muslims in this country would be against gay relationships, again my opinion which im more than entitled to.
  • Options
    No - I think you'll find it was a documentary about 10 individuals, who happened to have one thing in common and that was their faith.

One of the ten was overtly offended about a gay guy amongst them. But then he was overtly offended about virtually everything in the Western World.

Perhaps the Government should return his passport and let him head off to fight fellow muslims who seem so intent on killing each other in the Middle East at the moment.

Fairly sure tonight brings up the Shia/Sunni issues.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Uboat said:

Islam is inherently evil, as our various resident bigots experts will be along to point out shortly.

I dont think anyone believes that Islam as a whole is evil.

Just sadly there is a large group of people who think their God is telling them that other people with different beliefs should be wiped out, which is similar to how Pope Urban told Christians to go on crusade and take back what wasnt theirs in 1096.
  • Options

Uboat said:

I dont think anyone believes that Islam as a whole is evil.

Just sadly there is a large group of people who think their God is telling them that other people with different beliefs should be wiped out, which is similar to how Pope Urban told Christians to go on crusade and take back what wasnt theirs in 1096.
    Which incidentally was the year Charlton last beat Millwall :wink:

I wanted to lol that but it somehow seemed dirty and wrong , you cheeky young scamp :neutral:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Daggs said:

I watched ten minutes of it and saw a group of people who failed to use their human intelligence to see Islam is a load of mumbo-jumbo and idiotic nonsense, based around an entity that doesn't exist. Just like Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism etc.............

That's a whole different argument although I know some very intelligent people who have faith.

Which entity in particular relates to Buddhism?
  • Options
    I think it's the flying giant spaghetti monster ??
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Greenie said:

When Im reading about any religion whenever the word God (or other deity) is used, I find it amusing to replace it with Tooth Fairy or Santa, it gives it about as much realism.

Its things like that which help me get through my day.

I agree with Greenie on something. What's the world come to?

Edit: apart from the missing apostrophes, of course.
  • Options

Greenie said:

When Im reading about any religion whenever the word God (or other deity) is used, I find it amusing to replace it with Tooth Fairy or Santa, it gives it about as much realism.

Its things like that which help me get through my day.

I agree with Greenie on something. What's the world come to?

Edit: apart from the missing apostrophes, of course.
    Enough of that, us from the Argument thread have been refreshing this one for hours.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

This entity that doesn't exist thing is interesting philosophically. There is a line of thought that says it exists if it is seated within people, and the existence is strengthened if enough people agree about it. It is added to by the reactive manifestations of that agreement in lifestyle, ceremony, clothing, language and the like.
    Few people question the existence of 'love', yet love itself exists because of the observances of the phenomena, not because it can be scientifically proved.

Fair comment.

If only some / most religious folk accepted that their god does exist, but only in their heads, we'd all be better off.