Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Muslims Like Us

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Daggs said:

......if you say anything about Islam in particular, you must cover yourself with a dig at another religion, Christianity if poss, at the same time

Thanks for the tip-off Ib.

Adendum to my recent post:

As were the Christian crusades back in 2003.
    Fixed for you. ;-)

I just can't help myself.
  • Options
    Can we have some more stats chat please? That was keeping me amused for a while.
  • Options
    Daggs said:

If I dare dip my toe into this argument debate?

What is undeniable is; Muslims right now are responsible for thousands or possibly hundreds of thousands of deaths around the world right now. Though clearly mostly in the Middle East. These deaths are occurring around around a common theme. ie. My version of Islam is better than yours.
    Ironically most of the victims are other Muslims.

This is where blind faith takes humanity and why I despise religion.

There's an argument to be had that a lot of terrorists are muslim, just because 1 in 6 people in the world are muslim and a lot of (most?) terrorism takes place in countries with a Muslim majority. But it's not to say it is Muslim terrorism. There was terrorism in Russia by Chechens who took over a theatre and killed people. The terrorists happened to be muslim, but were motivated by Chechen nationalism/separatism rather than Islam. (Just like the IRA/UDA were motivated by competing nationalisms rather than religion). Most Palestinians engaged in terrorist acts against Israel are muslim, but it's not Islam that is motivating them, it's the treatment of Palestinians by Israelis. Kurdish and Turkish forces regularly use terror in pursuit of their aims - they're both Sunni muslims so their motivations are not about Islam.

Had we had this conversation in the 60s or 70s, would we have been saying there's a big issue with terrorists from historically Christian countries like Germany or Ireland or Italy? Or would we have looked at the historical reasons for the Red Army Fraction or the IRA or the strategy of tension?

The vast majority of terrorism is linked to nationalist aims. Even today. It has been for over 100 years. It's rarer, but not unknown, for there to be universalist approaches, by which I mean ones that aim to unite across national boundaries, that include terrorism, of which Jihadism is the only one that is any sort of a real threat. Jihadists are scumbags but they are not nationalists and generally have no problem with other Sunni muslims regardless of nationality or race.

I don't think it should be exaggerated, but equally there will be more Jihadist attacks as it fits in with their world view and method. Their stated plan is to provoke anti-muslim actions and thus recruit more to their cause. They need groups like the EDL as much as the EDL need Jihadists. When there is another Jihadist terror attack here they will regard it as successful if they provoke attacks on ordinary muslims here.

• Options
    colthe3rd said:

Can we have some more stats chat please? That was keeping me amused for a while.

0.00001% of the world's population who use the English Alphabet think that the number 3 looks like the letter E
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Daggs said:

......if you say anything about Islam in particular, you must cover yourself with a dig at another religion, Christianity if poss, at the same time

Thanks for the tip-off Ib.

Adendum to my recent post:

As were the Christian crusades back in 1095.
    Weren't the original crusades pretty decent though? Securing safe passage for Christians and preventing them being attacked whilst they were going on pilgrimages?

(Post by LuckyReds: pointlessly fanning the flames on CharltonLife since 2014(tm))
    Never say pointlessly....

Though, it depends what you mean by "original Crusades" (which does sound a bit like a jeans company's PR campaign for militant Christianity), if we mean all the medieval Crusades, I'd incline to a view that they were not pretty decent.

It's a long time since I read up on the Crusades to the Holy Land, but I have a lurking memory of the Christian forces delighting in their horses wading knee deep in the blood of Jews and Muslims (and probably Orthodox Christians) when capturing Jerusalem.

And let's not forget about the Crusades in Europe (mostly in the Baltics, Spain and Languedoc).
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

0.00001% of the world's population who use the English Alphabet think that the number 3 looks like the letter E
    Yup. Personalised number plate wankers!
  • Options
    edited December 2016

bobmunro said:

Well......I've had a good think about this and this is my take.
    The well used phrase.... Not most Muslims are terrorists but most terrorists are Muslims is of course true......world wide they have hundreds of thousands (possibly millions) of followers of many different groups/organisations. They may not have carried out acts of terrorism but they are fully signed up members so to speak.....so when pray do they actually become fully fledged terrorists?
    Where you Henry (and one or two others), are getting your knickers twisted in quoting the stats in that article are plain to see. Stats are notoriously open to interpretation as we ALL know and are often used very cleverly (and sometimes not so cleverly) to win arguments.
    Let's try to make this simple......as then you might just understand what is being said.....after all you did go to Crown Woods!
    Let's say for example there's a terrorists organisation called The Preservation of Endangered Hedgehogs Action Group. They have ten members but these ten members then commit 1000 acts of terrorism in a short period of time....making them potentially more dangerous and active than all the Islamic groups put together. That still doesn't mean there are more of them does it.....there's still only ten.
    You are using the number of organisations and the number of incidents they are involved in to try to win your argument.....but that still doesn't obscure the fact that there are more Islamic terrorists in the world right now than all the other terrorist organisations put together. And by the way, Islamic fundamentalist terror groups ARE commiting countless vile acts on a daily basis worldwide, or do you deny that too?
    The incredibly successful and for ever vigilant anti terrorist squads must love folk like some of you in this thread!

I'm having a lot of fun here Ben......LOL!

Don't sit back and do nothing mate....Join TPOEHAG today....application forms available at your local wildlife park or Hedgehog rescue centre.

To answer your question (bolded) - when they commit acts of terrorism. It has been demonstrated in this thread that evidence points to the fact that most 'acts' of terrorism are not carried out by muslims.

Your opening post on this thread was 'Most muslims are not terrorists but all terrorists are muslims' followed by some non-descript 'well generally speaking .....'.

It takes strength to change a view based on sound contrary evidence and argument - defending a clearly wrong assertion is a weakness.
    Exactly. The definition of terrorist is 'a person who uses terrorism in the pursuit of political aims'. So until you commit an act of terror you are not a terrorist. You might have radical political views, you might be a dick, but you aren't a terrorist. For instance, I really dislike Zooey Deschanel. Like, a lot. The most. I hate her. She is the absolute worst person ever. And if I saw her walking down the street towards me, no-one around, no CCTV cameras anywhere, no chance of ever getting caught, I would smile politely and walk past her. Maybe I'd nod. Just because you don't like something or you subscribe to a view that is against something doesn't make you an active participant in the destruction of it. I know that you don't want to back down on your view for whatever reason but your definition of a terrorist is just factually wrong. Words mean things, they don't change just because you want them to
    How can you hate Zooey Deschanel??!! She's so fit.
  • Options
    Until Henners (or his source) provide the definition of a "terrorist attack" that was used to compile the data the percentages given are meaningless. For example, does super gluing the entrance to a synagogue count as a "terrorist attack" for the purposes of the report? We don't know. But it's very different from killing 86 and injuring hundreds of people on the Promenade des Anglais.
    The original linked article also mangles its statistics. Hopping from 2013 back to 2011, leaving out 2012 altogether, while conveniently being written before the latest attacks in France. Perhaps the religiously motivated attacks are small in number, maybe even less than 2%. But they tend to involve multiple attackers; are most carefully planned; and have the largest impact.
    It's true of course that you are more likely to die putting up your Xmas decorations than at the hands of an Islamic extremist but that doesn't mean that Belmarsh needs a segregated unit for manufacturers of icicle lights.

Meanwhile, as at last summer there were 147 people in gaol in the UK for "terrorist-related offences" Of those, 137 are Muslim. Not quite all but getting close. Certainly more than 2%.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

The well used phrase.... Not most Muslims are terrorists but most terrorists are Muslims is of course true......world wide they have hundreds of thousands (possibly millions) of followers of many different groups/organisations. They may not have carried out acts of terrorism but they are fully signed up members so to speak.....so when pray do they actually become fully fledged terrorists?
    Where you Henry (and one or two others), are getting your knickers twisted in quoting the stats in that article are plain to see. Stats are notoriously open to interpretation as we ALL know and are often used very cleverly (and sometimes not so cleverly) to win arguments.
    Let's try to make this simple......as then you might just understand what is being said.....after all you did go to Crown Woods!
    Let's say for example there's a terrorists organisation called The Preservation of Endangered Hedgehogs Action Group. They have ten members but these ten members then commit 1000 acts of terrorism in a short period of time....making them potentially more dangerous and active than all the Islamic groups put together. That still doesn't mean there are more of them does it.....there's still only ten.
    You are using the number of organisations and the number of incidents they are involved in to try to win your argument.....but that still doesn't obscure the fact that there are more Islamic terrorists in the world right now than all the other terrorist organisations put together. And by the way, Islamic fundamentalist terror groups ARE commiting countless vile acts on a daily basis worldwide, or do you deny that too?
    The incredibly successful and for ever vigilant anti terrorist squads must love folk like some of you in this thread!

Don't sit back and do nothing mate....Join TPOEHAG today....application forms available at your local wildlife park or Hedgehog rescue centre.

To answer your question (bolded) - when they commit acts of terrorism. It has been demonstrated in this thread that evidence points to the fact that most 'acts' of terrorism are not carried out by muslims.

Your opening post on this thread was 'Most muslims are not terrorists but all terrorists are muslims' followed by some non-descript 'well generally speaking .....'.

It takes strength to change a view based on sound contrary evidence and argument - defending a clearly wrong assertion is a weakness.
    Exactly. The definition of terrorist is 'a person who uses terrorism in the pursuit of political aims'. So until you commit an act of terror you are not a terrorist. You might have radical political views, you might be a dick, but you aren't a terrorist. For instance, I really dislike Zooey Deschanel. Like, a lot. The most. I hate her. She is the absolute worst person ever. And if I saw her walking down the street towards me, no-one around, no CCTV cameras anywhere, no chance of ever getting caught, I would smile politely and walk past her. Maybe I'd nod. Just because you don't like something or you subscribe to a view that is against something doesn't make you an active participant in the destruction of it. I know that you don't want to back down on your view for whatever reason but your definition of a terrorist is just factually wrong. Words mean things, they don't change just because you want them to
    She is but I imagine her to be massively annoying, she's too twee for my liking.

Still absolutely 100% would though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colthe3rd said:

bobmunro said:

She is but I imagine her to be massively annoying, she's too twee for my liking.

What despite the dodgy fingernails and the clown-size feet?
  • Options

bobmunro said:

The internet exists. Fit women aren't a commodity. People who don't make me want to tear my own skin off are though. Let me tell you, I won't have bullshit quirkiness in this house. Oh look, she has glasses. And a ukelele! And she sings! Constantly sings! And she hasn't quite got her life together yet, how endearing! Oh, and she's singing again! In a loft! And she still goes trick or treating, and thinks penguins are cuddly and writes letters to Santa and uploads pictures onto Pinterest so you can see what her cutesy bedroom looks like. And she also loves anime and 90s wrestling? And she's going to take you on a hot air balloon ride across the country so you can have a picnic in the air? Well, what more can you ask from this quirky little dreamgirl? Who needs an actual personality and to behave like a grown up when you can play a recorder at a funeral?

Fuck you Zooey Deschanel
    You've actually made me feel like she's a bit of a dick.

Fuck you Manilow
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

colthe3rd said:

bobmunro said:

What despite the dodgy fingernails and the clown-size feet?
    I'll have you know my feet are average sized and I've been to the doctors to get some cream for the fingernails.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

The internet exists. Fit women aren't a commodity. People who don't make me want to tear my own skin off are though. Let me tell you, I won't have bullshit quirkiness in this house. Oh look, she has glasses. And a ukelele! And she sings! Constantly sings! And she hasn't quite got her life together yet, how endearing! Oh, and she's singing again! In a loft! And she still goes trick or treating, and thinks penguins are cuddly and writes letters to Santa and uploads pictures onto Pinterest so you can see what her cutesy bedroom looks like. And she also loves anime and 90s wrestling? And she's going to take you on a hot air balloon ride across the country so you can have a picnic in the air? Well, what more can you ask from this quirky little dreamgirl? Who needs an actual personality and to behave like a grown up when you can play a recorder at a funeral?

Fuck you Zooey Deschanel

Fuck you Manilow
    Honestly, every time I turn someone against Zooey Deschanel I think it adds about a week to my lifespan. This is my calling
  • Options

bobmunro said:

Fuck you Zooey Deschanel
    Just a minor point, but given that you're not quite her biggest fan (no higher than third on the list, I'd guess), have you considered the possibility of, maybe, not hanging on every utterance or post that she makes?

Just a thought...
  • Options

bobmunro said:

Fuck you Zooey Deschanel

Fuck you Manilow
    Honestly, every time I turn someone against Zooey Deschanel I think it adds about a week to my lifespan. This is my calling
    You're an absolute wrong'un

She's like Katy Perry but a tiny, tiny bit better in every aspect

I'm not saying you'd want to share a loft apartment with her, but if you wouldn't show her the best 3 and a half minutes of her life given the chance, you have non-functioning testicles
  • Options
    Robert - where are you? This thread is going way off topic (albeit a welcome diversion).
  • Options
    Never heard of her, but after reading the above post, I defanuntly would
  • Options
    i'm confused, are Zooey Deschanel and Katy Perry pro or anti Islam?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

bobmunro said:

Fuck you Zooey Deschanel

Fuck you Manilow

I'm not saying you'd want to share a loft apartment with her, but if you wouldn't show her the best 3 and a half minutes of her life given the chance, you have non-functioning testicles
    I appreciate the show of confidence in 3 and a half minutes there Leroy, I do.

But there's over 3 billion women in this world and I think the 30 seconds I spend not having to hear her speak wouldn't compensate for the rest of the time I did. That's my view, and if you don't like it, well, you're basically a terrorist (see bobmunro, I brought it back on topic for you!)
  • Options

bobmunro said:

Fuck you Zooey Deschanel

Fuck you Manilow

I appreciate the show of confidence in 3 and a half minutes there Leroy, I do.

But there's over 3 billion women in this world and I think the 30 seconds I spend not having to hear her speak wouldn't compensate for the rest of the time I did. That's my view, and if you don't like it, well, you're basically a terrorist (see bobmunro, I brought it back on topic for you!)
    I like the way you did that - very clever.
  • Options

i'm confused, are Zooey Deschanel and Katy Perry pro or anti Islam?

I'd like to see their Qurans.
  • Options
    vous etes Charlie Hebdo
  • Options

Never watched it because I find most 'fly on the wall' Gogglebox type programs like this quite contrived if I'm honest, no matter who they are focused on, the police, religions, large companies and corperations etc., if people know they're being filmed they won't be their true self, no matter who they are. The only way to get a true reflection is with hidden cameras imo. It's probably still good for the odd argument mind..

Sums it up for me, no need to read further.
  • Options

Never watched it because I find most 'fly on the wall' Gogglebox type programs like this quite contrived if I'm honest, no matter who they are focused on, the police, religions, large companies and corperations etc., if people know they're being filmed they won't be their true self, no matter who they are. The only way to get a true reflection is with hidden cameras imo. It's probably still good for the odd argument mind..

Despite agreeing with the premise of these programs being contrived.
    Having the Ex boxer born again Muslim, don't look into my eyes and the westernized young glamorous Asian Lady as the first two to meet was so predictable. Yet i kept watching and feel it at least shows the myriad of views that Exist in the world of Islam.
    Like other on CL it just reinforces my own Atheism but like a good agnostic, i love to see the nuances of Peoples Theism and why they need to pray.
    Will watch Part 2 on catch up.
  • Options

I thought it was interesting too.

I remember Anthony Small as a boxer......pretty decent fighter in his time but now appeared to be very much on the radical side of Islam.

The same as most extreme factions of most religions.....I cannot understand how some people still try and apply 'values' of hundreds/thousands of years ago to modern life?!?

Metropolitan Police have charged Anthony Small with encouraging acts of terrorism.