Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Woolwich

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Normal Woolwich is so much better than Posh Woolwich though! Literally all Posh Woolwich has going for it, pub-wise is the Taproom (which it seems you didn't reach). Can't believe the Equitable ran out of beer though! It really is the best pub in the area (when it has beer). The Great Harry is where you go when you have literally run out of ideas (or beer)
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Did you try Public in the covered market Karim?

Public don't open on Sundays any more, I found out the other day! We went to the very nice bubble tea/bao place in the market square instead (highly recommended, albeit cash-only!)
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    thing is i didn't do enough research on where to drink as the plan was to go on the Woolwich ferry but typically it wasn't running. I'll head back again to try the Taproom and the Public as suggested. also to give the Equitable another go as you lot and other people i know tell me that usually its very good.
  • Options
    I have been in the Equitable a few times and seen quite a few pumps turned round.

New sunday only market coming for the run up to Christmas.

http://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk/2018/10/01/woolwich-to-gain-new-sunday-market-in-run-up-to-christmas/

• Options

thing is i didn't do enough research on where to drink as the plan was to go on the Woolwich ferry but typically it wasn't running. I'll head back again to try the Taproom and the Public as suggested. also to give the Equitable another go as you lot and other people i know tell me that usually its very good.

Oh shit, the ferry was my plan too. Can't believe they took it down for the weekend! Charlton Aesthetic has never been on it, and now it seems she never will
  • Options
    What days were you guys at the Equitable when there was no beer?

I could understand a Monday/Tuesday but any other day is just really poor cellar management.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Oh shit, the ferry was my plan too. Can't believe they took it down for the weekend! Charlton Aesthetic has never been on it, and now it seems she never will
    It stops on Friday. Still time?
  • Options
    Re the Dial Arch - yeah its very much a Young's pub but we had my uncle's wake in there last year (he lived locally) and the staff were really lovely and accommodating, so I'll always have a pint in there if passing for that reason.
  • Options
    iainment said:

Leuth said:

It stops on Friday. Still time?
    After work? Seems unlikely. We'll see.
  • Options
    EastStand said:

I could understand a Monday/Tuesday but any other day is just really poor cellar management.

Saturday afternoon. fortunately we went over to the elephant to see the results come in from Luton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I went on the ferry last Saturday. My observations - it took less time than I remembered from when I was 4. It's a bit run down. North Woolwich still has the park which wasn't in that bad a condition. The area by the ferry/foot tunnel, though, blimey. Makes normal Woolwich look like Mayfair.
    On the way back, there was a Christian trying to save my soul every 10 yards along Hare St and Powis St. That's even more frequent than charity shops. Didn't have a drink but am tempted to go back in the evening one day - there was a better range of pubs than Lewisham. While I waited for the bus, there was a very loud but small demo about Biafra in one corner of Gordon Square. A war that ended before my family moved to Erith when I was aged 6.
  • Options
    Also like Rose's (Prince Albert) in Hare Street. Proper old school pub.

Very poor for the Equitable to run out of beer. Very poor for any pub to run out of beer, but one from a chain that prides itself on its beer - and brews its own - that's terrible.

It's like apartheid with the Royal Arsenal and the rest of the town. Lovely buildings and an extraordinary history in the RA but the separation from the rest of Woolwich is galling. Only good thing about Dial Arch is they do have some nice guest beers.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

yeah man, piss poor planning. looked as if there was a few other people with the same idea. a couple with a flask of tea were sitting on a bench looking longingly at the old ferries.
  • Options
    Is the Equitable an Antic pub? TBH I'm never that impressed by them - they promise lots and never quite deliver and their own beer (Voldens) is nothing special. I guess that's what comes from being a property company who happen to run pubs.
    It will be interesting to see what happens if their staff unionise.
  • Options
    EastStand said:

Antic who own the Equitable have a very strange policy with cask beer. They don't have the next cask ready for when one runs out. Seeing as most of their pubs have two of their own on permanently it just does not make sense. Staff say they can't put a replacement cask on of the same the beer because the new one has to settle. Well get it in position to settle earlier. It ain't rocket science. The GPO in Eltham has a lot going for it but having 2 out of 4 pump clips turned round at 8pm and all of them by 10pm does them no favours. Cellar management is no big secret but I don't think Antic train their staff properly.
  • Options
    rananegra said:

Is the Equitable an Antic pub? TBH I'm never that impressed by them - they promise lots and never quite deliver and their own beer (Voldens) is nothing special. I guess that's what comes from being a property company who happen to run pubs.
    It will be interesting to see what happens if their staff unionise.

putting to one side my recent excursion to an Antic pub I don't actually mind the group. they have created pubs that have a different style to other pubs in certain areas. prefer a more old fashioned style meself but I don't mind a bit of variation. what I don't like is their opening hours during the week. cant go there for a nice quiet lunchtime drink. (if they have the beer available)
  • Options

went to Woolwich on the weekend for the first time in years. thought I would do a mini pub crawl. I must of caught the Equitable on a bad day. asked if they had any beer on and bloke behind the bar scoffed and pointed to the taps of Heineken and other lagers. I said no, beer and pointed to the pumps, apparently they ran out. building looked alright. reminded me of the Tunbridge wells spoons which is in an old theatre.

looked around Woolwich and had a quick drink in the great harry. least they had some beer though even Mr Tim Martin tried his best not to advertise it was a wetherspoons. the bull seemed alright but it stank of disinfectant.
    elephant and castle was busy but good and around 3 pound a pint. went across the road tracks to the dial arch youngs pub. nice looking place, both inside and out. expensive and not worth it like most youngs pubs. people seemed to be completely different from across the road. I could of been in Clapham. I bet most of them don't venture over to the other side apart from to get to the station. bet they cant wait for cross rail.

Not been in the Dial Arch so can't comment. One over that side that is worth a visit is the Taproom. Decent beers, friendly enough staff (one of the lads who used to work at the White Swan works there I think) and reasonable enough food. If you're looking for the 'Spoons vibe, then don't bother with it but I found it pleasant.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

EastStand said:

Antic who own the Equitable have a very strange policy with cask beer. They don't have the next cask ready for when one runs out. Seeing as most of their pubs have two of their own on permanently it just does not make sense. Staff say they can't put a replacement cask on of the same the beer because the new one has to settle. Well get it in position to settle earlier. It ain't rocket science. The GPO in Eltham has a lot going for it but having 2 out of 4 pump clips turned round at 8pm and all of them by 10pm does them no favours. Cellar management is no big secret but I don't think Antic train their staff properly.
    I used to work as supervisor/assistant manager at Antic. This was a few years ago so maybe their overall policy has changed, but when I was there we didn't have any set rules on priming casks. It was up to the shift manager whether to put a new cask on or not.

When I worked there you'd get your beer delivered all on the same day. On that day you'd go in and line up the casks ready.

It takes a few days for a cask to settle (as well you know!), and after 2/3 days you'd tap the next cask in the line ready to go on. That was it.

Obviously if it's been more than 5 days or if it was a change of beer you'd do a full line clean - otherwise a quick flush with water and away you'd go.

Unless you have a premium of space in the cellar there is no reason not to have at least 1 new cask lined up ready to go on once the current one has emptied. I think it's just shit management in this case.

And no, we didn't have any training. All my cellar management was gained at a bigger Marston's pub previously - they send their management on courses regularly.
  • Options
    Anglesea Arms was brilliant during the World Cup. Proper die hard England crowd in there for each game
  • Options
    Made the trip across on the Woolwich Ferry with another popular CL poster yesterday. Very nostalgic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Vincenzo said:

Also like Rose's (Prince Albert) in Hare Street. Proper old school pub.

Very poor for the Equitable to run out of beer. Very poor for any pub to run out of beer, but one from a chain that prides itself on its beer - and brews its own - that's terrible.

It's like apartheid with the Royal Arsenal and the rest of the town. Lovely buildings and an extraordinary history in the RA but the separation from the rest of Woolwich is galling. Only good thing about Dial Arch is they do have some nice guest beers.

The divide between the two sides of Woolwich is really depressing and it seems a poor piece of planning. There seems to be a complete disconnect between the two.

This seems to be storing up problems for the future - London is becoming ever more divided.
  • Options

Made the trip across on the Woolwich Ferry with another popular CL poster yesterday. Very nostalgic.

So not @ricky_otto then?
  • Options

So not @ricky_otto then?
    You’re not even warm.

• Options

So not @ricky_otto then?
    You’re not even warm.

I bet it was Chippy.

Secretly you two can't get enough of each other.
  • Options
    Today is the tenth anniversary of the DLR extension to Woolwich opening. Lot’s of hope was placed on the new link, and yet a decade on every time it seems Woolwich town centre takes a step forward it then takes one back. A current plethora of closures add to concern about the area.

Firstly, a few weeks ago Starbucks closed. Then Fishyard and Steak restaurant appears to have permanently closed (if wrong happy to correct!) and Peacocks is closing in coming weeks.

http://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk/2019/01/15/woolwich-continues-to-struggle-as-more-retailers-leave/
  • Options
    Was absolutely gutted to see Powis St. when I walked through a couple of weeks ago. Starbucks: Gone (although I'd prefer to lose Satarbucks than the Coffee Lounge). Clock Jack: I think has been replaced by a bookies. It looks like Art Fix has gone as well. Lots of attempts to bring something different to the area have failed. Was sad to see.