Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Woolwich

Comments

• Options
    bobmunro said:

Leuth said:

bobmunro said:

Leuth said:

For all that Posh Woolwich has its Taproom and Con Gusto and whatnot (both of which I condone btw!), the Blue Nile and Woolwich Equitable have them beat, and they're in Not Posh Woolwich. Will be interesting to see if even more money can buy more taste

Not posh Woolwich?

I don’t think I’ve been to Woolwich for at least 20 years and it sounds like I wouldn’t recognise it.
    Posh Woolwich is the riverside bit, sharply demarcated from Not Posh Woolwich by Beresford Street/Plumstead Road
    The Arsenal is the only bit that’s changed? Everything south of there is still pretty much the same?
    Afraid so.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

We had the over 60's doing zumba in the Square last summer. Not quite ballet.

A quick dab of Blue Stratos and I'd have been on my way had I have known! ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Curb_It said:

It does SHG but it definitely means central Woolwich.

You'd recognise it Bob, most parts of it are still the same.

But I'm still trying to picture sitting out on Plumstead Road when this street feast market opens. Its a bit grim down there.

Is the old Covered In Market going to be this street feast malarkey? Sam’s Army Surplus and the shoe shop next door where I bought my first pair of Squires gone I suppose.

I’ve seen some of the apartments for sale in the Arsenal and the prices just amaze me. Don’t get me wrong - when I was a kid and teenager growing up in Woolwich and Plumstead it was a great place to live.

I think I’ll take a trip to the town when I’m down for my next game.

• Options
    bobmunro said:

Curb_It said:

It does SHG but it definitely means central Woolwich.

You'd recognise it Bob, most parts of it are still the same.

But I'm still trying to picture sitting out on Plumstead Road when this street feast market opens. Its a bit grim down there.

Is the old Covered In Market going to be this street feast malarkey? Sam’s Army Surplus and the shoe shop next door where I bought my first pair of Squires gone I suppose.

I’ve seen some of the apartments for sale in the Arsenal and the prices just amaze me.

I think I’ll take a trip to the town when I’m down for my next game.

Sam's has been gone for years, loved that place. Levi's a fiver pair.....
    *Mum* 5 pound for a pair of workmans trousers!! get your ar5e round to Tescos. :(
  • Options
    The covered market is going to be the steetfeast venue,the buildings around that area are the same but have new tenants,but the plans are in place for the whole area between Spray St & Plumstead Road to be demolished & redeveloped.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Leuth said:

bobmunro said:

Leuth said:

For all that Posh Woolwich has its Taproom and Con Gusto and whatnot (both of which I condone btw!), the Blue Nile and Woolwich Equitable have them beat, and they're in Not Posh Woolwich. Will be interesting to see if even more money can buy more taste

Not posh Woolwich?

I don’t think I’ve been to Woolwich for at least 20 years and it sounds like I wouldn’t recognise it.
    Posh Woolwich is the riverside bit, sharply demarcated from Not Posh Woolwich by Beresford Street/Plumstead Road
    The Arsenal is the only bit that’s changed? Everything south of there is still pretty much the same?
    Powis Street / Hare Street / Thomas Street have changed very little, but opposite the "Woolwich Equitable Building" is now a large Tesco's with flats behind and towering over it.

Wellington Street has also changed somewhat with new council buildings.
  • Options
    My Mum grew up in Woolwich, at various addresses over the years, Greenlaw Street, Rideout Street etc, but for a short while in the 30's the family lived in Warren Street.
    It must have been one rough area at the time because later when me and my brother were growing up she used to tell us " never tell anyone the family lived in Warren Street".
    She made it seem very Dickensian and Bill Sykes and apparently the pub on the end of the road (Crown and Cushion?) was a place to be feared back then.
  • Options
    Avoid if you can, road closures, bus diversions and Police activitie at the mo.
  • Options
    There has been a fatal rta. John Wilson Street still closed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:

Blue Nile is great and the woman who runs it is so friendly. One of the best places to eat in London imho.
  • Options

Interesting article about Woolwich Arsenal Crossrail station

https://1londonblog.uk/2018/01/crossrail-woolwich/
  • Options

The Covered market re-opens on 2 March with food stalls and bars. Sounds interesting.

http://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk/2018/02/21/woolwich-street-feast-market-opens-on-2nd-march/
  • Options
    Is the Indian restaurant and Singer sewing machine shop still there, opposite the KFC in Thomas Street does anyone know?
  • Options

Curry Asia is still going strong.

I'm pretty sure Singer is no more. I can check tomorrow, weather permitting.
  • Options

Cheers Glasso. Me and me brother would go down there with my dad to pick up the take-away on a Friday night, I think we might have even dined in as a family a coupla times an all. And I spent what felt like hours waiting for me mum or nan looking through the patterns in that sewing shop ffs, always on a promise that we were going Wimpy straight after though.

Also remember my nan taking me in the pie and mash shop just down by the Pullman, to meet her mates an all. And chucking me guts up after eaten a whole bag of marsh-mellows from Woolworths on another occasion.... And the big fish tank in the Woolwich Equitable...
  • Options

Cheers Glasso. Me and me brother would go down there with my dad to pick up the take-away on a Friday night, I think we might have even dined in as a family a coupla times an all. And I spent what felt like hours waiting for me mum or nan looking through the patterns in that sewing shop ffs, always on a promise that we were going Wimpy straight after though.

Also remember my nan taking me in the pie and mash shop just down by the Pullman, to meet her mates an all. And chucking me guts up after eaten a whole bag of marsh-mellows from Woolworths on another occasion.... And the big fish tank in the Woolwich Equitable...
    You eat the big fish tank.

Fuck me you are a monster
  • Options

You eat the big fish tank.

Fuck me you are a monster
    Ate a live guppy once for a bet
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Strangely enough the Wimpy on the corner is also still going. Thomas Street must be in some kind of a time warp.
  • Options

Strangely enough the Wimpy on the corner is also still going. Thomas Street must be in some kind of a time warp.

I know. I find that really odd. I don't think I know anyone who has had a Wimpy in the last 20 years.

I remember Burger King opening in Woolwich around 15 years ago and that didn't last long at all.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Earl of Chatham is still going. Recently, I had a weekday lunch time pint in there for old times sake and was one of two customers.
    There was the most God awful music blaring out (and I'm a music lover).

I went back over the 'Spoons and rejoined the other 200 customers.
  • Options

I know. I find that really odd. I don't think I know anyone who has had a Wimpy in the last 20 years.

I remember Burger King opening in Woolwich around 15 years ago and that didn't last long at all.
    Took my kids to Wimpey in lakeside a couple of years ago. It was rank.
  • Options

Funny that, not many Wimpy Bars up t’north and a quarter-pounder with cheese is something I really miss!

The American Beefburger Bar in Greens End was always the best.

• Options

The Wimpy always has at least a few people in, I suspect "people" being in the same sense as "people" in Men in Black.

According to my cleaning lady who is very much Woolwich ITK the Earl keeps going thanks to a louche late-nite clientele who are not averse to the consumption of recreational chemicals. The recent taping-off of the town centre, iirc, was due to a stabbing outside the Earl.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Funny that, not many Wimpy Bars up t’north and a quarter-pounder with cheese is something I really miss!

The American Beefburger Bar in Greens End was always the best.

Weird. I was trying to think of what "meal" it was that I loved in The Wimpey.
    Yes, the quarter-pounder with cheese (and chips), I loved the sauce.
    Occasionally, if I was feeling really greedy I'd also have an ice cream float.
  • Options

Earl of Chatham is still going. Recently, I had a weekday lunch time pint in there for old times sake and was one of two customers.
    There was the most God awful music blaring out (and I'm a music lover).

I went back over the 'Spoons and rejoined the other 200 customers.

I installed the fire alarm in there years back and we used it quite a bit to get a late one an all for a while. The bloke who run it at the time was into his scuba diving, but can't think of his name
  • Options
    Was it Gavin?
    Or Terence?
    Or Quentin?
    Or JJ?
    Or Will?
    Or, you see where I'm going here?
    Neil?
  • Options
    iainment said:

Was it Gavin?
    Or Terence?