Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Woolwich

Comments

• Looking at a few old Kentish Independents I have and found two articals.
  • As one who had a part time job there, it was always called the covered market and a fun place to work.
  • edited September 2017
    Rascals. Was wondering what happened in Shrewsbury Park yesterday with the police.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PlumsteadPeople/permalink/1658416867565048/

• Apologies if this has been posted before, but for anyone interested in the Royal Arsenal this must be the go to site.

http://www.royal-arsenal-history.com/
  • Im sitting in the great harry, always a life enhancing experience.
  • Im sitting in the great harry, always a life enhancing experience.

get yerself down to the Anchor in Hope for 2.30 and i'll have a coke.
  • Curb_It said:

After some uncertainty whether it would open because of the council and police objecting to the licencing hours the old covered market in Woolwich will open in 3 weeks time as a street feast market. It's good to see an unused space put to good use.

https://853london.com/2018/02/07/street-feast-woolwich-public-market/

I think it was always nailed on, but there is no more Greenwich Council thing than Greenwich Council inviting an operator to open a market, only for Greenwich Council to object ahead of the Greenwich Council meeting to decide on it, with the deputy leader of Greenwich Council asking people to lobby Greenwich Council to get the thing opened. Marvellous.
  • cafctom said:

Think I mentioned on here recently that I'm in the middle of buying a flat in West Thamesmead, which is only about 20 mins walk from the new Crossrail. Managed to find a nice 2 bed place in a gated development for under 300k.

With the prices currently listed in Woolwich itself I can see more people looking to do the same. For the same price in Woolwich town centre I nearly ended up in a building where a drug gang had been operating and I got a lucky escape.

Unless you really like drugs, in which case you missed a fantastic opportunity.

Good luck in Thamesmead. Sounds like a very sensible buy right now.
  • Sponsored links:

• cafctom said:

Think I mentioned on here recently that I'm in the middle of buying a flat in West Thamesmead, which is only about 20 mins walk from the new Crossrail. Managed to find a nice 2 bed place in a gated development for under 300k.

With the prices currently listed in Woolwich itself I can see more people looking to do the same. For the same price in Woolwich town centre I nearly ended up in a building where a drug gang had been operating and I got a lucky escape.

Well I hope it goes through... I don't want to see another old thread dug up and you saying: I'm looking to buy a flat in A, B or C.

By the way I did the river walk again last week and walked through all the green parts of Thamesmead to get on to Woolwich riverfront. I thought it was very calm and peaceful. Sunday lunchtime mind.
  • My sister dropped me off outside the Wetherspoons so I could catch the DLR to City airport. It appeared to be doing good business. It was 09.30...

Mind you, there was a proper fishmongers just down the road, you don't see many of them in modern suburban Britain.
  • The thing is, you can smell it, which is never a good sign.
    See Woo Charlton wins hands down for me.
  • Curb_It said:

cafctom said:

Well I hope it goes through... I don't want to see another old thread dug up and you saying: I'm looking to buy a flat in A, B or C.

By the way I did the river walk again last week and walked through all the green parts of Thamesmead to get on to Woolwich riverfront. I thought it was very calm and peaceful. Sunday lunchtime mind.
    Thank you. Well the place I'm buying is on the river walk, and that's the quickest way to get to Woolwich (besides jumping on a bus). That part of Thamesmead does seem very quiet/tranquil compared to what you hear about going on in the main Thamesmead area.
  • Curb_It said:
    It would be nice if the depressed but upwardly mobile local area is matched by a currently depressed but upwardly mobile local football club :smile:
  • Curb_It said:
    It would be nice if the depressed but upwardly mobile local area is matched by a currently depressed but upwardly mobile local football club :smile:
    I read "Woolwich is a fantastic opportunity to create a thriving retail-anchored centre.” as Woolwich is a fantastic opportunity to create a thieving retail-anchored centre.
  • My sister dropped me off outside the Wetherspoons so I could catch the DLR to City airport. It appeared to be doing good business. It was 09.30...

I was well p***** by then and enjoying a full English chaser. ;)
  • My first ever DJ gig was in the Union Tavern pub in Woolwich, funny little boozer tucked away in the town center....would have been around 1993. I'm guessing its not there anymore?
  • DanDavis said:

My first ever DJ gig was in the Union Tavern pub in Woolwich, funny little boozer tucked away in the town center....would have been around 1993. I'm guessing its not there anymore?

Used to be my local when in the sixth form at the Poly!

The very first pub I had a drink in, and got drunk in!

• Sponsored links:

• For all that Posh Woolwich has its Taproom and Con Gusto and whatnot (both of which I condone btw!), the Blue Nile and Woolwich Equitable have them beat, and they're in Not Posh Woolwich. Will be interesting to see if even more money can buy more taste
  • bobmunro said:

DanDavis said:

My first ever DJ gig was in the Union Tavern pub in Woolwich, funny little boozer tucked away in the town center....would have been around 1993. I'm guessing its not there anymore?

Used to be my local when in the sixth form at the Poly!

The very first pub I had a drink in, and got drunk in!

Those were the day's...........When you had a local, but were still at school........ Mine was the Bugle! ;)
  • Haha considering I was only 16 when I started DJ'ing there in 1993 it would also be the first pub I got drunk in!
  • Leuth said:

For all that Posh Woolwich has its Taproom and Con Gusto and whatnot (both of which I condone btw!), the Blue Nile and Woolwich Equitable have them beat, and they're in Not Posh Woolwich. Will be interesting to see if even more money can buy more taste

Not posh Woolwich?

I don’t think I’ve been to Woolwich for at least 20 years and it sounds like I wouldn’t recognise it.
  • Curb_It said:
    That article shows a map of East Greenwich not Woolwich town centre.

• bobmunro said:

Leuth said:

For all that Posh Woolwich has its Taproom and Con Gusto and whatnot (both of which I condone btw!), the Blue Nile and Woolwich Equitable have them beat, and they're in Not Posh Woolwich. Will be interesting to see if even more money can buy more taste

Not posh Woolwich?

I don’t think I’ve been to Woolwich for at least 20 years and it sounds like I wouldn’t recognise it.
    Posh Woolwich is the riverside bit, sharply demarcated from Not Posh Woolwich by Beresford Street/Plumstead Road
  • It does SHG but it definitely means central Woolwich.

You'd recognise it Bob, most parts of it are still the same.

But I'm still trying to picture sitting out on Plumstead Road when this street feast market opens. Its a bit grim down there.
  • there'll be Ballet Dancers turning up next :wink:
  • We had the over 60's doing zumba in the Square last summer. Not quite ballet.
  • Leuth said:

bobmunro said:

Leuth said:

Not posh Woolwich?

Posh Woolwich is the riverside bit, sharply demarcated from Not Posh Woolwich by Beresford Street/Plumstead Road
    The Arsenal is the only bit that’s changed? Everything south of there is still pretty much the same?