Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Woolwich

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2018

Does anyone know if the Prince Albert "Rose's" pub is still open today? It's on the corner on Hare Street and the alley way leading to Powis Street (I think that's called Montgomery Square?). They filmed in there on the documentary, but I don't know when it was made

Yes, I was in there Saturday lunch time. It's what I'd call a proper old mans pub. It was quite busy (comparatively) as in 20 odd people in there.
  • Options
    Acab said:

used roses before catching the boat to Upton Park 92/3

Yeah, I'd slip in there for a quick livener coming the other way, when I got the foot tunnle over from North Woolwich, before getting a cab alonģ to The Horse
  • Options

Interesting article about Woolwich Arsenal Crossrail station

https://1londonblog.uk/2018/01/crossrail-woolwich/

It's very interesting, although once again leaves me thinking "WTF" about the entire project.

Seems from what is written that the entire South Eastern line of Crossrail was something of an afterthought, and that until very recently the Woolwich station might not even have been built. I mean, WTF? And I've asked this before, but why Abbey Wood? Why not Dartford where there would be a direct connection to both the B'heath and Loop lines, so people would have another way to get into the centre of London from places like Eltham or Sidcup?

Then it seems that the station is sort of close to the DLR station but not together with it. Please tell me there will be a direct pedestrian connection from the CrossRail station to the DLR and SER stations. Surely they are not going to ask people from Heathrow with luggage to emerge into Woolwich and then back into the DLR or SER station?

And when is the sodding thing finally going to run to Heathrow? I thought it was supposed to be "on time and on budget".

• Options
    edited March 2018

It's very interesting, although once again leaves me thinking "WTF" about the entire project.

Seems from what is written that the entire South Eastern line of Crossrail was something of an afterthought, and that until very recently the Woolwich station might not even have been built. I mean, WTF? And I've asked this before, but why Abbey Wood? Why not Dartford where there would be a direct connection to both the B'heath and Loop lines, so people would have another way to get into the centre of London from places like Eltham or Sidcup?

Then it seems that the station is sort of close to the DLR station but not together with it. Please tell me there will be a direct pedestrian connection from the CrossRail station to the DLR and SER stations. Surely they are not going to ask people from Heathrow with luggage to emerge into Woolwich and then back into the DLR or SER station?

And when is the sodding thing finally going to run to Heathrow? I thought it was supposed to be "on time and on budget".

You can thank Southeastern for that.
    I am sure they objected as they would lose millions to Tfl if the crossrail opted for Dartford.
    As it stands, they are still going to lose passengers and income from Abbey wood and Woolwich, regardless, but only a fraction of what crossrail at dartford would have cost them. Furthermore, they would need to lay new track all the way from Abbey Wood to Dartford and not share the line with southeastern.

Worth mentioning that the dlr and crossrail station in woolwich are about 300 yards apart, and entirely on the flat.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    PA - it seems that minimal connectivity was anticipated in Woolwich. Any station at all was to be regarded as a bonus.

For a hefty recent update on Crossrail, London Reconnections' report gives plenty to think about.

https://www.londonreconnections.com/2018/crossrail-cutting-fine/

In the UK integrated public transport has seldom reached the norms found routinely elsewhere. For example, the tram-train concept pioneered in Karlsruhe a quarter-century ago is still awaiting the first UK trial operation, an unbelievably foot-dragging project from Sheffield to Rotherham. Reverting to Woolwich Crossrail, I will try to find From The Murky Depth's less than impressed opinion of the bus service changes planned to serve the new line. In London, TfL has had £700 million hacked off its budget. It's the cuts, you know.

Edit : the local bus service changes http://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk/2018/01/16/new-bus-route-in-south-east-london-for-crossrail-gets-start-date/

• Options

You can thank Southeastern for that.
    I am sure they objected as they would lose millions to Tfl if the crossrail opted for Dartford.
    As it stands, they are still going to lose passengers and income from Abbey wood and Woolwich, regardless, but only a fraction of what crossrail at dartford would have cost them. Furthermore, they would need to lay new track all the way from Abbey Wood to Dartford and not share the line with southeastern.

Worth mentioning that the dlr and crossrail station in woolwich are about 300 yards apart, and entirely on the flat.

Finally, the heathrow extension was never planned to start running within 2018, from the outset it was always going to be opened later than the rest of the Elizabeth Line, as the heathrow express kicked up a fuss about how much money it's going to cost them (fair enough) and managed to wrangle a few more years to keep that line to themselves.
    The absence of strategic thinking by the politicians (local and Westminster), bureaucrats and operators is quite staggering. Whatever the shifts in traffic patterns when Thameslink settles down and Crossrail opens, there will be more than enough traffic to go round simply because of the colossal amount of new housing being planned along the Thames Gateway. Oh, with few more, if indeed any, extra trains for DLR and Southeastern.

As BA says, the foot transfer between Woolwich stations is on the flat, but also important to note is that it involves crossing the A206, a major highway. The whole affair seems totally uncoordinated. An attempt to re-classify the stations from Zone 4 to combined Zones 3/4 was turned down flat. And as far as Heathrow Crossrail is concerned, I think I saw 2022 as the earliest the present operator can be bought out.
  • Options
    Lasty year I read about Bexley councils plans to transform lower Belvedere, with a big designer shopping outlet (like Ashford) but most of this is on the premise that Crossrail goes to Dartford.

I think its only a matter of time before Crossrail is extended.
  • Options

Another CL thread descends into trains and railways ffs

Why ffs ?? Do you think the many changes to Woolwich that we have all been discussing, not to mention the far greater changes still to come, have NO transport connection ?? Or maybe that it's unimportant ?? Ffs - you said it ....
  • Options
    IT_Andy said:

Lasty year I read about Bexley councils plans to transform lower Belvedere, with a big designer shopping outlet (like Ashford) but most of this is on the premise that Crossrail goes to Dartford.

I think its only a matter of time before Crossrail is extended.

There's enormous expectation for new transport infrastructure. HS2, Crossrails 2 and others, some stuff the Northerners have been promised, and in SE London perhaps we'll get the Bakerloo extension from Elephant to Lewisham/?further by maybe 2030 if we're lucky. Where's the money to come from?? There are major changes ahead with autonomous vehicles (passenger and freight), car-sharing, the all-conquering electric vehicle and many other developments. Vast new projects and their financing will have to evolve in order to get built.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Another CL thread descends into trains and railways ffs

Why ffs ?? Do you think the many changes to Woolwich that we have all been discussing, not to mention the far greater changes still to come, have NO transport connection ?? Or maybe that it's unimportant ?? Ffs - you said it ....
    Is that a wooooosh?
  • Options

Er, might be ....
  • Options
    Ye, think it is....
  • Options

PA - it seems that minimal connectivity was anticipated in Woolwich. Any station at all was to be regarded as a bonus.

For a hefty recent update on Crossrail, London Reconnections' report gives plenty to think about.

https://www.londonreconnections.com/2018/crossrail-cutting-fine/

In the UK integrated public transport has seldom reached the norms found routinely elsewhere. For example, the tram-train concept pioneered in Karlsruhe a quarter-century ago is still awaiting the first UK trial operation, an unbelievably foot-dragging project from Sheffield to Rotherham. Reverting to Woolwich Crossrail, I will try to find From The Murky Depth's less than impressed opinion of the bus service changes planned to serve the new line. In London, TfL has had £700 million hacked off its budget. It's the cuts, you know.

Edit : the local bus service changes http://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk/2018/01/16/new-bus-route-in-south-east-london-for-crossrail-gets-start-date/

Oh shit..that London Connections article doesn't make comfortable reading at all, and those guys know their stuff - it was they who wrote the article blowing the lid on how Uber's tax dodge works. I would be really surprised if it opens on time after reading that.
  • Options

The new fish and steak restaurant at 79 Powis Street has now opened, albeit with a limited menu for the moment. It's called FishYard & Steak.

I had a large haddock and chips (£11.50), and @HantsAddick took a medium-sized cod and chips (£10.50). My Peroni was £3.50. The whole bill was then discounted by 10%, I think as a special offer for opening. The fish was nicely cooked with a decent batter, and the chips were acceptable. The portions were extremely generous. The prices seem roughly to match the Woolwich Equitable. The service was reasonable. Our order took maybe 15 minutes to arrive, I guess meaning that it was cooked fresh and not taken from the take-away fish already cooked. The atmosphere was pleasant. Definitely worth a further visit.

• Options
    Went to the Dial Arch Friday night. Most of the seats in the booths were ripped with some partially repaired with tape, whilst a round of 4 drinks was just under 27 quid. Service is ropey too.
    I feel it’s gone a bit downhill since it’s early days.
  • Options
    Think the medium cod was £9.50 not £10.50, if I remember correctly. Only had that as Rock had sold out, nice enough though far too much for me. Not that it will worry many who go. Freshly cooked as GHF says, and staff seemed pleasant enough. Early days, but a good start.
  • Options
    I thought that in the future everybody is going to shop online and work from home and never go anywhere.
  • Options

The original idea was that you saw the merchandise in a store and then, when you had made a decision, you could go home and shop around on-line for the best deal.

Thanks to ever greater pressure on public transport finances, despite our cities growing transport services are shrinking and we will all be turned into cave dwellers. The stuff we buy will perforce be packed in a warehouse the size of Warwickshire by a one of Amazon's robots and delivered by an Amazon drone, respectively the army and air force of the forthcoming robot insurrection believed to have been fomented by malign forces working in electronics factories in Belgium and Germany and controlled by a crazed megalomaniac ....
  • Options

Beresford Square ....

During the war - no, sorry, it's not Uncle Albert today - start again .... When the trams came off in July 1952 in many locations the rails were lifted for valuable scrap. Perhaps the square was too busy to be dug up, so in due course when the rails' covering of tarmac wore away some sections of tram track gradually re-appeared. I'm sure they remained in place well into the 80s, maybe even later. Today there is nothing to see, although the network of cables strung out above the square at a quick glance resembles the lattice of power cables and others serving the trams, trolleybuses and the square itself and its surroundings. One last reminiscence - looking at the Arsenal gatehouse it is always a little astonishing to think that the A206/Plumstead Road used to pass in front of the building along the side of the square, instead of the wide highway that nowadays runs behind it. How was there ever room?

And so to today. Completely out of the blue the indispensable From The Murky Depths reports that for this week only (and another week in June) there will be street food stalls and others. Well, it might be a good idea actually to publicise this event, or is that too obvious? At 11.45 this morning the new stalls were poorly patronised although there was plenty of delicious stuff on offer. I would guess that there were half a dozen extra stalls. Apparently there were quite a few no-shows. I went looking for good old German sausage in particular, as "advertised", but the nearest shot was on a stall where the lady had thought it wouldn't sell so she didn't bring any along. I asked about the thousands of eastern Europeans in the area, but she hadn't considered them. Maybe next time. I will go back later this week, having NOT had a breakfast first. If you're in the neighbourhood give the newbies a look, and maybe they will be back before June. This town needs to keep growing ....

http://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk/2018/03/12/another-new-market-coming-to-woolwich/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2018
    This looks interesting (not opened it yet).

http://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk/2018/03/25/amazing-views-over-woolwich-now-undergoing-huge-change/

Just started looking through some of the links - really seems to be some great stuff here, especially

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Kleon3

Enjoy!!
  • Options
    Was literally standing on the spot an hour earlier
  • Options
    Yeah, clearly Woolwich has improved.
  • Options

Yeah, clearly Woolwich has improved.

Plenty of people are doing a lot to continually improve the area, incidents like these don't contra the good things and good places that are coming to Woolwich.

• Options
    I heard that it was getting "Gentryfied" and if this is true, it's one area that needs it imo
  • Options

Beresford Square ....

During the war - no, sorry, it's not Uncle Albert today - start again .... When the trams came off in July 1952 in many locations the rails were lifted for valuable scrap. Perhaps the square was too busy to be dug up, so in due course when the rails' covering of tarmac wore away some sections of tram track gradually re-appeared. I'm sure they remained in place well into the 80s, maybe even later. Today there is nothing to see, although the network of cables strung out above the square at a quick glance resembles the lattice of power cables and others serving the trams, trolleybuses and the square itself and its surroundings. One last reminiscence - looking at the Arsenal gatehouse it is always a little astonishing to think that the A206/Plumstead Road used to pass in front of the building along the side of the square, instead of the wide highway that nowadays runs behind it. How was there ever room?

And so to today. Completely out of the blue the indispensable From The Murky Depths reports that for this week only (and another week in June) there will be street food stalls and others. Well, it might be a good idea actually to publicise this event, or is that too obvious? At 11.45 this morning the new stalls were poorly patronised although there was plenty of delicious stuff on offer. I would guess that there were half a dozen extra stalls. Apparently there were quite a few no-shows. I went looking for good old German sausage in particular, as "advertised", but the nearest shot was on a stall where the lady had thought it wouldn't sell so she didn't bring any along. I asked about the thousands of eastern Europeans in the area, but she hadn't considered them. Maybe next time. I will go back later this week, having NOT had a breakfast first. If you're in the neighbourhood give the newbies a look, and maybe they will be back before June. This town needs to keep growing ....

http://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk/2018/03/12/another-new-market-coming-to-woolwich/

I remember there used to be a copper directing the traffic in front of the Arsenal gates. Never see that these days. Just one for us old gits.
  • Options

I heard that it was getting "Gentryfied" and if this is true, it's one area that needs it imo

Yeah Its kind of true.
    There are a lot more coffee shops, bars and decent restaurants than ever before but realistically I can't see gentrification happening on the same scale as a Peckham or a Dalston.

What will be interesting to see is exactly what will happen to the place when the lizzy line starts up.
    Hopefully that will attract a lot more commuter folk at least.
  • Options

The new fish and steak restaurant at 79 Powis Street has now opened, albeit with a limited menu for the moment. It's called FishYard & Steak.

I had a large haddock and chips (£11.50), and @HantsAddick took a medium-sized cod and chips (£10.50). My Peroni was £3.50. The whole bill was then discounted by 10%, I think as a special offer for opening. The fish was nicely cooked with a decent batter, and the chips were acceptable. The portions were extremely generous. The prices seem roughly to match the Woolwich Equitable. The service was reasonable. Our order took maybe 15 minutes to arrive, I guess meaning that it was cooked fresh and not taken from the take-away fish already cooked. The atmosphere was pleasant. Definitely worth a further visit.

Just got back from trying this place out and was disappointed. Had haddock n chips and everything was cooked fresh to order but the fish and batter just didn’t have any taste to it, very bland. Nice place though and staff friendly. I’ll give it another try on another day hoping it was just a one off.