Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options

500k is a bit steep

I think he is worth more that £150 though. Offer of between £250 - £350 seems reasonable - but then it is not my money!

What does our manager think?
  • Options
    What player is going to sign for club that is managerless?
    An absolute fruit loop of a club bear in mind!
  • Options

who is identifying these players though? we'd be likely to sign someone who the new manager then doesn't want and sell them at a loss next week.

Thought that, good to see the new manager is signing pleyers LOL

• Sponsored links:

• Options

who is identifying these players though? we'd be likely to sign someone who the new manager then doesn't want and sell them at a loss next week.

JJ will be recommending them.

Which is all well and good but there is a reason why managers want to purchase their own players, to suit their style of management.
  • Options

Looking at signing players without a manager?

This club is a complete and utter joke.

Not really as it proves that Chris Wilder was right in wanting written proof he'd have control over signings.

Instead the club want a DoF style approach where the Manager just deals with training / matchdays
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    JiMMy 85 said:

How often do you hear players say "I heard there was an offer whichever as flattering, but it was when I sat down with the manager and he told me his plans, I knew I wanted to be a part of it" or words to that effect?

"I sat down with Katrien and as soon as she opened her mouth I knew I had to sign for someone else" seems quite unlikely.

Fixed that for you
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

How often do you hear players say "I heard there was an offer whichever as flattering, but it was when I sat down with the manager and he told me his plans, I knew I wanted to be a part of it" or words to that effect?

"I sat down with Katrien and as soon as she opened her mouth I knew I had to sign" seems quite unlikely.

I dunno... What about Johann this Summer?
  • Options
    I get it.
    Any manager is going to want complete control over transfers. Let's sign all the players before we get the manager..... and when he asks for his own the budget is blown. "This is what you've got so get on with it."

Genius!

This all points to another network no mark from nowhere turning up to 'coach' the side.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:

500k is a bit steep

I think he is worth more that £150 though. Offer of between £250 - £350 seems reasonable - but then it is not my money!

£150k is what Kinsella cost 20 years ago! I would imagine Moncur would cost more than that, bearing in mind football inflation
  • Options

Not really as it proves that Chris Wilder was right in wanting written proof he'd have control over signings.

Instead the club want a DoF style approach where the Manager just deals with training / matchdays
    I remember John Carver dong an interview when he was in 'in charge' at Newcastle. He said he was more than happy to do exactly what you mentioned in your post - only interested in training / match days.

I believe he was a name mentioned at some point in the last week or so regarding our job.

Personally I can't see how that can work? Surely the manager should pick the right tools (never a truer discription of players in our case) to do the job.
  • Options

Redrobo said:

500k is a bit steep

£150k is what Kinsella cost 20 years ago! I would imagine Moncur would cost more than that, bearing in mind football inflation
    Depends if Moncur is better than Kinsella though... the latter went on to have a really successful Premier League career.
  • Options

I remember John Carver dong an interview when he was in 'in charge' at Newcastle. He said he was more than happy to do exactly what you mentioned in your post - only interested in training / match days.

I believe he was a name mentioned at some point in the last week or so regarding our job.

Personally I can't see how that can work? Surely the manager should pick the right tools (never a truer discription of players in our case) to do the job.
    Is another reason why I hate the DoF role... How can a Manager work with a player if in his own head he's thinking: I didnt sign this kid, I dont even rate him
  • Options
    The idea is Carver would say what he needs and it's down to the DoF/ CEO to find a suitable fit. It worked at Newcastle very briefly when they had an amazing run of luck finding French players.
  • Options

And look how well he did for them!
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

The idea is Carver would say what he needs and it's down to the DoF/ CEO to find a suitable fit. It worked at Newcastle very briefly when they had an amazing run of luck finding French players.

at the time french players were seriously undervalued in the transfer market. Arguably they still are with mahrez and kante being two examples for leicester but it's changed now with PSG's emergence.
  • Options
    If we know they want £500k then offering £150k is just the kind of bid that's going to piss them off. I get offering less than the asking price, but so much below it is just asking for the selling team to sell to anyone other than you.

Everyone remembers the Suarez Arsenal saga. Liverpool have since admitted that if Arsenal had taken them to court they would have won, but they were so incensed by Arsenal's mick-taking offer that they were willing to risk it. We're not going to be the only ones in for Moncur so starting off with an annoyingly low bid is hardly going to endear us
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Many top clubs rely on an international scouting network to sign their players, rather than the manager/head coach. It worked for a while at Newcastle, and I imagine Athletico Madrid are very happy with their system.

And managers (e.g. Dowie and Pardew with us) are just us capable of buying complete rubbish.