Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Danny Bakers 'Cradle to Grave'

I'm not his biggest fan but that's mainly due to some of his pokes at us (Charlton). But I had this earmarked for a look last night, due to him being from my era, but then completely forgot about it.

So, did anyone have a butchers? Worth a look on catch-up?

Comments

• Options
    Not watched it yet. Few people giving Peter Kay a bit of stick over his cockney Bolton accent. Can't help but think that Baker cast him because he's box office and not necessarily the best man for the job.
  • Options
    Forgot as well but assumed there would be references to the skid marks and maybe a couple of Charlton nil and trainspotting jokes.

So dont give a toss actually.
  • Options
    I watched it and enjoyed it - being from that era and a sarf Londoner. Thought it was funny and well paced. Didn't really notice Peter Kay's accent - thought he played the part of Danny Baker's dad well. No mention of Millwall (yet).
  • Options
    I enjoyed it; good fun (if you knew that era) and a couple of good laughs, which isn't bad from a first episode. I suspect it will follow a set formula with laughs (the methanol and Hair scenes were funny - and unless you watch it, this isn't giving anything away!), and tears (Mud house), most weeks, with odd bits of sex and swearing thrown in. The fashion was interesting and the music score great but a little OTT IMO (save some for later epiodes!).
  • Options
    Thought it was alright, worth a look for sure if it's from your era as a few things will resonate.

Peter Kay's accent was defo a bit strange and found myself knowing it was Peter Kay for the first fifteen minutes or so until I got into it. The tortoise scene did have me laughing though.

Good to see Tilbrook & Difford doing the soundtrack.
  • Options
    I watched it and found it quite good. As others have said, growing up in south London during the same era probably added to the enjoyment.

You could sort of see it coming but the trousers at the funeral was well done.
  • Options
    Being the same age as Mr Baker and living in the same area really enjoyed it. Having read both of his autobiographies I knew what was coming with the tortoise and the two tone trousers but still found it funny. Agree that Peter Kayes accent was not great but forgot about that once it got going. Will certainly continue to watch.
  • Options
    I thought it was good too.

PK is a decent enough character actor (he was brilliant in that Car Share thing) and the accent didn't really put me off.

Will definitely keep watching.
  • Options
    I wonder what @Riviera thought of it. Mr Bakers biggest fan.
  • Options
    I agree with all those who watched it. PK's accent is ok, and some of the scenes were hilarious. The one with the Radio Rentals man was a hoot. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I wonder what @Riviera thought of it. Mr Bakers biggest fan.

Well I watched it, anything about growing up in the 70's interests me. It was ok, as a period piece it was pretty spot on.
    The only issue I had was that having heard Baker the other day on the Steve Wright Show talking about it, he said that everything in it was true, and kept repeating such. Well if that's the case (and I very much doubt it) I wonder how Martin's family are feeling this morning? I thought that part was dealt with in a very distasteful manner. You don't recover from the death of a child.
    As for his Dad giving him a spoof telling-off, well I could see that coming a mile off.
    I'll continue, just out of nostalgia.
    Of course the best thing about it is that Baker isn't in it.
  • Options
    I thought it was pretty good not brilliant best thing in it was Lucy Speed....reminded me of my mum
  • Options
    Really enjoyed the first episode & will continue to watch.
  • Options
    I enjoyed it, as per what others have said.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    'Football Monthly' c 1967 has a photograph of everyone's favourite celebrity Millwall fan and friends with a caption referring to these young Man Utd fans or words to that effect.

Didn't see the programme but maybe that will get a mention at some point.
  • Options
    Baker pretending to be David Essex's brother has to be in forthcoming episodes.
  • Options
    It's fine and it's funny. Peter Kay ain't much of an actor and his accent ain't really very Bermondsey but the rest of the cast is good.
  • Options
    Just watched it on catch up following comments. I enjoyed it. I don't actually watch much TV as I find most of it rubbish.
    I said to the missus, "blimey, yeah, we used to actually stand outside clothes shops and stare in the window didn't we?"
  • Options
    cafc-west said:

No mention of Millwall (yet).

If it's from his early period it'll probably mention Man U.

Obviously before he needed to portray a 'certain image'
  • Options
    Stone said:

Just watched it on catch up following comments. I enjoyed it. I don't actually watch much TV as I find most of it rubbish.
    I said to the missus, "blimey, yeah, we used to actually stand outside clothes shops and stare in the window didn't we?"

Whitehall Clothiers in Lewisham was my window of choice in the early 80's.

Went in there to get a new Eltham Green blazer, shirts and strides and came out with a diamond Pringle and a lemon Lacoste roll neck.

Mum weren't to impressed I seem to remember!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Edit double post.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Lord John in Woolwich for me (late 60s/early 70s). I would spend what seemed like hours just looking at the clothes with no likelihood whatsoever of ever buying anything!
  • Options

Stone said:

Went in there to get a new Eltham Green blazer, shirts and strides and came out with a diamond Pringle and a lemon Lacoste roll neck.

Mum weren't to impressed I seem to remember!
    If you came out with that I would guess you never came from my part of Kidbrooke
  • Options
    There was sort of a mention of Millwall, as one of the characters complained that the trousers they had were West Ham colours.

Enjoyed the show.
  • Options

cafc-west said:

No mention of Millwall (yet).

If it's from his early period it'll probably mention Man U.

Obviously before he needed to portray a 'certain image'
    So you are saying he switched from Man Utd to Milwall for image? You may question the mental process as to why anybody would want to support Millwall but I dont think anyone could doubt he is Millwall.
  • Options
    I enjoyed it a lot, although sort of wish I hadn't read the book first. I thought the production quality was excellent, and the script was typically spot on. Kay's accent wobbled a little but he was just like the father described in the book.

Not sure I understand some of the cynics on here. Unnecessary bitterness it seems to me. He doesn't bang on about Millwall a great deal, not beyond the universal elements that link supporters regardless of their clubs, and I've heard him say nice things about Charlton.
  • Options
    Enjoyed it, which is a shame as think Baker is a *** ******* Millwall ****.

Wished Kay hadn't been cast, too much of a distraction and feels like one of sketches, plus the accent is a shocker.
  • Options
    I've just seen it and I really enjoyed it. I though Peter Kay did a really good job. Although i had heard the theatre story many times on his radio show I still found it hilarious.
    I'm not a Danny Baker hater just cos he's Millwall. Now if he was a Nigel that would be different.
  • Options

I've just seen it and I really enjoyed it. I though Peter Kay did a really good job. Although i had heard the theatre story many times on his radio show I still found it hilarious.
    I'm not a Danny Baker hater just cos he's Millwall. Now if he was a Nigel that would be different.

I think hes one of Bakers mates and has been on his radio show a few times, and DB was in the Amarillo video that Kay did.
  • Options
    Both books by Danny Baker are very good. Watched the show and enjoyed it but agree with others that the casting of Peter Kay as Spud (Baker's dad) was a poor choice.A very good actor who can do a London accent would have made more of the character than Peter Kay. Nothing against Peter Kay as I love his stand up and his other tv work