Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Danny Bakers 'Cradle to Grave'

Comments

• Options
    the accent may be slightly dodgy but Kay is funny in this and thats the point isn't it?
  • Options
    Sometimes a TV series needs a big name to get the programme made.
  • Options
    Enjoyed it immensely but agree Peter Kay is miscast, Spud should be bald too but there again if you haven't read the books you wouldn't know that. Looking foward to the next episode.
  • Options
    Just watched the first one and thought it was great. Baker always knows how to spin a yarn and that shines through in this programme.
  • Options
    Halix said:

Sometimes a TV series needs a big name to get the programme made.

'Cradle to Grave' isn't that bigger name. It only has 13 letters.
  • Options

Enjoyed it immensely but agree Peter Kay is miscast, Spud should be bald too but there again if you haven't read the books you wouldn't know that.

Well I'm never likely to know then.
  • Options
    Just watched it, thought it was very good. I think Peter Kay was very good too, as was the soundtrack.
  • Options
    It's not bad, brought back quite a few memories of the time such as Radio Rentals.

Enjoyed the book more but is only one episide so far so could get better.
  • Options
    I just watched and thought it was good, will certainly watch the rest, brought back lots of memories of growing up in the 70's, meters on the TV, stay-press trousers etc. PK's accent improved as the episode went on
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

PK's accent improved as the episode went on

Ha, I don't think that's how they make TV you know...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watched tonight's second episode. Very good, but how many of the sharp-eyed of you spotted the two cameo appearances at the silver wedding anniversary party? Really enjoying the series.
  • Options
    Peter_G said:

Watched tonight's second episode. Very good, but how many of the sharp-eyed of you spotted the two cameo appearances at the silver wedding anniversary party? Really enjoying the series.

Glen Tilbrook and ....?
  • Options
    On the drums ....
  • Options
    One of the funniest things I've seen for ages, especially when the floor fell out of the caravan.
  • Options
    cafc-west said:

Peter_G said:

Glen Tilbrook and ....?
    Pete Beale was in the pub scene
  • Options
    Love this show. It reminds me so much of my childhood in South London in the 70's.
  • Options
    great programme ...my only criticism is that its over too quickly
  • Options
    lolwray said:

Agreed - maybe 4 x 1hour episodes would have been better than 8 x 30 mins.

It is very good viewing.
  • Options
    The collapsing caravan floor scene was first time I've genuinely laughed out loud to any tv sitcom since probably Peepshow or Partridge.

Chris Difford doesn't make a very convincing drummer....
  • Options
    I noticed Simon Church making an appearance at the end of the programme last night..............
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My favorite bit from last night was them going into a pub for the first time. i remember that feeling of anxiety, will I get away with it or not?
  • Options
    Absolutely fckin blinding and so is Peter Kay in it. His timing and facial expressions are brilliant.

on a side note, the pub the go in looks the same as the inbetweeners pub where the Teacher comes in .
  • Options
    I'd completely forgotten about the gas lights in the caravan we used to go to as a kid until they featured in the programme. The horrible curtains looked remarkably familiar too.
  • Options
    lolwray said:

TMI, lolwray.

• Options
    Watched the first two episodes on iplayer tonight. Some very funny moments and Peter Kay much better than I expected.

Not too sure re wine already becoming a hit with the ladies in early 70s but maybe my house was just too working class - only recall Mateus Rose, Blue Nun and Black Tower when we went out for a birthday restaurant treat and would have been late 70s by then.

The wallpaper, tiles, carpets etc look very familiar - don't remember anyone at all having a corner sofa, though!
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Corner sofa! Love a corner sofa! Alright you lot have convinced me to give it a try...

Corner sofa, well i never!
  • Options
    It just gets better. From the first video recorder to This is your life , to taping records . so many great memories . It's definitely my favourite TV show on the box at moment.
  • Options
    And still nothing on the scum. Good stuff.
  • Options
    This is really a great programme makes me laugh out loud every week I particularly like the "Cat in the box" scam last night. Attention to detail is everything and it does remind me of my upbringing.
  • Options
    I've watched the first three and found them very funny. Peter Kay does this kind of thing well, I wasn't around at the time this was set so I suppose the distraction of the nostalgic stuff like VCR's isn't completely lost but it doesn't resonate as much.

The kid playing Danny Baker has got his mannerisms and tone spot

His dad (Kay) is the star of the show.