Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Danny Bakers 'Cradle to Grave'

Comments

• Options
    They'll be drinking that in Eltham and Cockfoster next.

I love this programme, best thing ive seen in ages.
  • Options
    Been the Spud show up till now. Absolutely love it, and hate the fact it's sucked me in before it starts getting all Millwall-positive
  • Options
    OK, I'm going to give it a go.

If it does get Millwall positive, that'll be a different matter.
  • Options

Been the Spud show up till now. Absolutely love it, and hate the fact it's sucked me in before it starts getting all Millwall-positive

The dad is really the star of the books too.

Not much Millwall in them either.
  • Options
    They are all over the first new episode of "Later", Squeeze playing the theme song, and Baker chatting. Watched the first two episodes of Cradle to Grave before that. It's great observation of a period, but the BBC are always great at that. Not quite as sold as others. Something about Danny Baker always makes me feel uneasy. Wouldn't trust him with a bent spanner.
  • Options
    I really don't like Danny Baker at all but I've not watched it as being about Danny Baker or written by Danny Baker and if you do that then it's great TV viewing.
  • Options
    Appreciate the tip, love it!
  • Options
    I know I've been gone from the UK awhile, but in the credits it says the show is produced by ITV Studios for the BBC???
  • Options
    Don't know if any of you follow Baker on twitter,but there's a man who knows how to blow his own trumpet!
  • Options
    ilovelucy said:

I know I've been gone from the UK awhile, but in the credits it says the show is produced by ITV Studios for the BBC???

A huge amount of BBC output is produced by independent production companies, and ITV Studios is the biggest such "independent". I'm not sure how much the BBC actually does for itself anymore. It doesn't have much money left after paying its executives huge salaries and lavish expenses.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    didn't think it was all that last night however the French teacher PHWOARRRRRR
  • Options
    I thought last night was very average.

They may have well just shown Brian Glover in Kes for most of it.
  • Options

Miss Blondell, she was as described. Smoking hot, what I wouldn't have done to get into her 'dark room'
  • Options
    Carter said:

Miss Blondell, she was as described. Smoking hot, what I wouldn't have done to get into her 'dark room'
    Surprised she hasn't been interviewed by OB after seeing that and it begs the question whether that was fact or fiction. Great watch though.
  • Options
    Coldharbour pitches still shit 40 years on
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

lolwray said:

great programme ...my only criticism is that its over too quickly

Agreed - maybe 4 x 1hour episodes would have been better than 8 x 30 mins.

It is very good viewing.
    may not have a broad enough appeal but i could even imagine it as a film

I thought last night was very average.

They may have well just shown Brian Glover in Kes for most of it.

you got there before me ...

and they should have actually shot the scene on coldharbour

• Options
    Caught up with this - it's good fun.

Kay's accent throws me less than seeing cobbled streets in Manchester substituted for Deptford/Bermondsey and (particularly) Eltham in last week's episode, though - you can see the mills in the background!
  • Options
    Loved last week's episode.

Spud Baker calling the dog a "four legged ponce" really tickled me for some reason. Laughed til I cried.
  • Options
    It is very funny. Peter Kay and the lad playing Danny Baker on top form.

Were those pictures of miss Blondell legit do you think?
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Watched the first two episodes on iplayer tonight. Some very funny moments and Peter Kay much better than I expected.

Not too sure re wine already becoming a hit with the ladies in early 70s but maybe my house was just too working class - only recall Mateus Rose, Blue Nun and Black Tower when we went out for a birthday restaurant treat and would have been late 70s by then.

The wallpaper, tiles, carpets etc look very familiar - don't remember anyone at all having a corner sofa, though!

We did - well it was kind of comma shaped, so went into the corner. Bright orange leatherette, marvellous...

C to G is excellent, the missus hates Peter Kay's accent but it doesn't stop us from creasing up at some of it. the "Teddy Arseholes" story had me in stitches...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carter said:

It is very funny. Peter Kay and the lad playing Danny Baker on top form.

Were those pictures of miss Blondell legit do you think?

Yes, how many copies do you want?
  • Options
    Just catching up on this - the theatre 'slap' had me laughing out loud and the con hiding out in his sister's loft in the one I just watched was brilliant.

"Go, go!"
  • Options
    gutted its finished
  • Options
    Excellent last two episodes.
  • Options
    Enjoyed it.
  • Options
    How do i catch up with these?
  • Options
    Brilliant series. Danny Bakers humour shone through and was portrayed fantastically by Peter Kay. The exaggerated accent added to the charm.

The lad who played him got Bakers tone and pitch perfectly.
  • Options
    Loved the whole series. Very funny and although I'm a couple of years older than Danny Baker it reminded me so much of my life and family in the early 70s. Was it a one-off or can we expect another series?
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Loved the whole series. Very funny and although I'm a couple of years older than Danny Baker it reminded me so much of my life and family in the early 70s. Was it a one-off or can we expect another series?

A second series is confirmed
  • Options
    ....and only one Millwall reference