Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Smith - progress at Rotherham (p18)

Comments

• Options
    Just because a player is tall doesn't make him a target man.

Pigott is a great finisher - the only game he's started was against mill wall and we were collectively shit.
  • Options
    Would have been nice to have a striker in some kind of form at the club.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Pigott is a great finisher - the only game he's started was against mill wall and we were collectively shit.

he also came on as a sub against Watford, Forest, Ipswich & Blackpool - can't remember that he really covered himself in glory in those games either. I'm not trying to knock him, but I just feel he is out of his depth in this league. night , for example, I heard that Southampton gave one of their youngsters (18 yr old striker) his debut at home v Arsenal & I believe he scored, or if he didn't he could have had a couple - whereas I don't believe I've seen Piggott get anywhere near the goal.

• Options
    what league are Swindon in
  • Options

what league are Swindon in

Question is would Piggott score in that league.

Piggott is clearly not good enough for championship football but we have no resources.

• Options

Swisdom said:

he also came on as a sub against Watford, Forest, Ipswich & Blackpool - can't remember that he really covered himself in glory in those games either. I'm not trying to knock him, but I just feel he is out of his depth in this league. night , for example, I heard that Southampton gave one of their youngsters (18 yr old striker) his debut at home v Arsenal & I believe he scored, or if he didn't he could have had a couple - whereas I don't believe I've seen Piggott get anywhere near the goal.

Our problem is not just scoring. We are not creative.
    Pigott gets 10-15 mins to score a goal when we pump it on the air up to him.

If you give him chances he will score. Same with Smith.

We could have Darren Bent up front and he wouldn't score as he's be feeding off scraps at best

• Options
    Pretty immaterial this discussion now anyway. Michael Smith is no longer a Charlton player. We will never know if he would have made the grade for us.

Just because I'm scoring with my missus doesn't immediately mean I should be scoring with Scarlett Johansson.
  • Options
    no the question is what league are swindon in
  • Options

League 1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

League One
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Our problem is not just scoring. We are not creative.
    Pigott gets 10-15 mins to score a goal when we pump it on the air up to him.

If you give him chances he will score. Same with Smith.

We could have Darren Bent up front and he wouldn't score as he's be feeding off scraps at best

I don't disagree - but sometimes when you are a striker you have to make chances yourself. Yann is the most guilty of this. He can score from a free kick 25 yards out but he hardly ever takes a shot from open play from this distance & will always lay it off.
  • Options
    Ok so smith is not scoring for fun in the championship like some would have you believe, Good luck to smith I hope he does well and gets a great career but who knows who is coming in, someone must be and Piggott will go out on loan that's a certainty , but to think smith is the messiah it all smacks of Dickson all over again
  • Options
    League one - so would do a job for us next season at this rate. Dickson at least was tried in the team tbf I think that is most peoples issue. I didn't follow Dickson but did he score goals in league two and league one?
  • Options
    According to SWindon's manager Smith went there because they play the type of football where strikers are always going to get chances.
  • Options

According to SWindon's manager Smith went there because they play the type of football where strikers are always going to get chances.

And his manager at Swindon was his old manager at Darlington.

No doubt that was part of the attraction too.
  • Options
    We should've kept him. That's my opinion and I stand by it.
  • Options
    Personally so would I however you can not help but think there is bigger and better players we will sign

If you had the choice for example to sign a player with the scoring record of gooch against signing smith would you do it

If smith had never signed for us in the first place
  • Options
    Of course. I still think there's light at the end of tunnel. Throughout recent weeks I have slated pessimistic views on here as they don't help anyone.

I will start to get worried IF (big if) we don't bring in a striker before Friday.

RD has been here about a month. He's not God (even though some expect him to be) and he won't be able to turn our form around in this much of a short time.
  • Options
    Should never have sold him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So 3 in 2 for Swindon, same number as Church all season (not including cup goals).
  • Options
    The lad was never given the chance to have a go for us in the Championship - shocking management.

Next year we will be in the same division as Swindon, and folk on here will be saying what a mistake it was to let him go.

Not forgetting the "undisclosed fee" we got for him - which we all know, was probably ziltch!
  • Options
    it's criminal that he wasn't given a chance. Why we allowed him to be cup tied I'll never know. Two games against Oxford and a game against Hudds might have given us a better indication before selling
  • Options
    edited January 2014

it's criminal that he wasn't given a chance. Why we allowed him to be cup tied I'll never know. Two games against Oxford and a game against Hudds might have given us a better indication before selling

I agree but I think the bigger issue was around this rule that only allows you to play for 2 clubs in a season,because he never played for us this season, Swindon could play him without worrying about 93 day loans .

I suspect they paid us a bit more in his transfer fee to ensure this as others have said I will wait until midnight Friday before getting concerned.

• Options
    Why is it criminal, or shocking management? Powell clearly doesn't see him as making it - with us - in the Championship. He's had two games with Swindon, he's scored 10 goals in League 2 and 2 in League 1. How that makes him the answer to our problems God only knows.
  • Options
    So you would have dropped Yann for Smith then? Cause that's the option, not Smith for Church or Reza etc etc
  • Options
    rikofold said:

Why is it criminal, or shocking management? Powell clearly doesn't see him as making it - with us - in the Championship. He's had two games with Swindon, he's scored 10 goals in League 2 and 2 in League 1. How that makes him the answer to our problems God only knows.

He could not have done any worse than the dross we have, and have had impersonating as strikers over the last few seasons. It would probably have back fired but the lad knows where the net is and for that reason I would have given him a run out.
  • Options

I think the issue was that if he played for us, he couldn't play for another side this season apart from AFCW who didn't have the funds for a decent offer. Given that he didn't raise a huge amount of money you'd wonder why we didn't take that chance?

a) RD is going to do some serious investment in the 2 days before window shuts
    b) RD has not increased our budget & his legion of foreigners are on minimum wage
  • Options
    rikofold said:

Why is it criminal, or shocking management? Powell clearly doesn't see him as making it - with us - in the Championship. He's had two games with Swindon, he's scored 10 goals in League 2 and 2 3 in League 1. How that makes him the answer to our problems God only knows.

corrected it for you

• Options
    I think that he would have done no worse but I can see why he has been allowed to go