Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Smith - progress at Rotherham (p18)

Comments

• Options

According to SWindon's manager Smith went there because they play the type of football where strikers are always going to get chances.

yea better football than us!!
  • Options
    No one has said smith was messiah but he was surely worth a few games rather than he like mans Garry Nelson ,church.
  • Options
    I've seen on this thread that one of the reason that Smith was sold was because he couldn't have played with Yann.

I have but two issues with that - one you don't know 'til you try and two, with the rumours as they are, he might have been Yann's replacement anyway ;-(
  • Options

I've seen on this thread that one of the reason that Smith was sold was because he couldn't have played with Yann.

I have but two issues with that - one you don't know 'til you try and two, with the rumours as they are, he might have been Yann's replacement anyway ;-(

Rumour now has it that the real reason Michael Smith was sold was solely down to the fact that our new owner felt that Smith's rather plain name wouldn't sit comfortably with the desire to sell the club to its potential fan base in Azerbaijan - the minimum criteria now being six syllables in total and to include any two from "q", "z" and "x".

Joe Pigott is also now being shipped out to Gillingham on loan pending confirmation that his name has now been changed by Deed Poll to Jozeph Pigolowzkaqi.

• Options
    We definitely dropped a bollock with this one
  • Options
    12 starts 6 goals in League 1. Anyone still going to claim he will never improve as a player?

Finding it hard to believe Pigott or PP are better players or have more potential at the moment.
  • Options
    http://www.cafcpicks.com/cgi-bin/drkish/display.pl?month=201405&date=20140509&time=0754

Apparently didn't impress enough in training.

Haven't similar things been said about Yann, that he's not a great trainer?

Might explain why Fox wasn't involved until a few weeks after coming back from his loan, Powell wanted to him to show that he's developed in training first.
  • Options
    If we had gone down, then Michael Smith would have been exactly the sort of player we would have wanted, it was odd that he wasn't given a go up front when we've been so weak in that position this season
  • Options
    Who dropped the bollock ? Who should we blame ?
  • Options
    I have no problem with letting these players go if they are proven not to be good enough. But how can any player be seriously judged based on a couple of fleeting substitute appearances? Some players are not good trainers, but come to life on a Saturday in front of 20,000 spectators. Other players are great trainers but freeze on the big stage. At least give them a fair crack of the whip before moving them on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It doesn't matter really. If he was 22 then I think he will maybe be a champ player but not a great one
  • Options
    He's just put Swindon infront against Colchester. That's not particularly interesting, of course, but what is noteworthy is that Smith continues to succeed while Jonathan Obika is now only making the bench down at the County Ground.

Does make you wonder. All the fuss at Charlton about Obika. Was he coming in on loan? Are we going to sign him? Meanwhile, Michael Smith signed a three-year deal in the summer of 2011 and yet didn't get a single chance in the League while he was with us.

Perhaps Smith simply wasn't going to make it, but why didn't we roll the dice? I have the benefit of hindsight, of course, but it seems almost criminal to have helped develop Obika, who turns out not to have been good enough anyway, so that freaking Tottenham could sell him for a nice fee, while failing to give our own player game time in the Championship. There's a failure of judgement in there somewhere.

I suspect that this will simply never happen under Duchatelet and Peeters. That has to be a good thing surely.
  • Options
    Hasnt Jon Obika been injured for a few weeks... I thought he had a good start for Swindon then hadnt played for a while?
  • Options
    Fair point. Obika may have had injury problems. He's been on the bench for the last two matches, but it may be they don't feel he's fully match fit.

Nevertheless, I think my point remains valid. Obika is playing in Division One, alongside Smith, not at a higher level than him.

(Smith has just scored again, his seventh in his last seven games and his eleventh of the season).
  • Options

Fair point. Obika may have had injury problems. He's been on the bench for the last two matches, but it may be they don't feel he's fully match fit.

Nevertheless, I think my point remains valid. Obika is playing in Division One, alongside Smith, not at a higher level than him.

(Smith has just scored again, his seventh in his last seven games and his eleventh of the season).

In League 1

not saying he would not score in this league but BWP scored loads in League 1 and struggled in the Championship
  • Options
    The real question is.. Is Smith better than Tucudean? Probably yes.
  • Options
    he was sold without being given a chance with us .. begs the question .. why was he bought in the first place ? .. he's always looked decent at least
  • Options

Reason
  • Options
    Deserved his chance, im guessing SCP never fancied him but im not convinced he is or will be better then what we already have.

I know Tucudean is back to being poor again in the fans mind because of last night but he has still done the business in being a big part of two wins this season for us, he has the ability on his day at this level, just needs to toughen up and do it on a regular basis.
  • Options
    I believe Smith scored 2 today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Not a chance.
  • Options

Not a chance.
    Agree.
  • Options
    It is very strange that Smith wasn't given more of a chance. Was there ever any question as to his attitude ?
  • Options

we will never know .. Smith's probably not as 'gifted or skilful' but probably more bottle, guts and effort .. he certainly scores more albeit at a lower level
  • Options
    Like Moussa, Smith has probably found the right 'level' at League 1. Gotta laugh though; every time I bet on him to score he doesn't and vice versa when I don't.
  • Options

Does make you wonder. All the fuss at Charlton about Obika. Was he coming in on loan? Are we going to sign him? .

Not me. I said on here back when we got Obika that he was no better than a L1 player.

Smugness at its best.........................;-)
  • Options

Not a chance.
    Not quite sure you can say that, it's clear as daylight Smith has obviously improved a shed loads since he's left. It's actually funny how that Welling preseason game played such a big part in Smith's charlton career, I honestly think if Piggott hadn't got a hatrick it would have been him going out on loan and us having to use Smith as the emergency striker.
  • Options
    Would like to see Smith score a goal like Tucudean's the other day, mind!
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Would like to see Smith score a goal like Tucudean's the other day, mind!

He couldn't.
    They are polar opposites,
    Smith is the old fashion centre forward, who will score 20 goals in L1, half with his head.
    Tucudean may get 10, if he plays every week, half of these will be goal of the season contenders.
    Other games he will go missing and we will wonder why he playing.

You need at least 4 strikers that you rotate in the championship,
    If Igor misses more than 10 games over the season, there is no way we will finish in the top half of the table.