Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Smith - progress at Rotherham (p18)

Comments

• Options

I think Nathan jones is better placed to make that judgement mate than you or i

Nathan Jones described Pigott as the most natural finisher he'd ever worked with.

All I can say is that Nathan Jones can't have worked with many players. Admittedly I haven't seen that much of Pigott, but what I have seen he is nowhere near the likes of Jimmy Greaves, Ian Rush, Michael Owen, Robbie Fowler, Jermaine bloody Defoe or even Sir Clive or Benty..........they are natural finishers,

Jeez, I wonder what Killer would think.
  • Options
    Let's loan Piggott to one of RD's clubs as I think playing on the continent offers a different style to the kick and rush of our lower leagues...
  • Options

Nathan Jones described Pigott as the most natural finisher he'd ever worked with.

All I can say is that Nathan Jones can't have worked with many players. Admittedly I haven't seen that much of Pigott, but what I have seen he is nowhere near the likes of Jimmy Greaves, Ian Rush, Michael Owen, Robbie Fowler, Jermaine bloody Defoe or even Sir Clive or Benty..........they are natural finishers,

its official you know nothing about football with a statement like that

• Options

its official you know nothing about football with a statement like that

Nah I reckon Golfie's bang on, if he's not scoring at least 2 a game he's not worth our time ;-)
  • Options
    Joe Pigott has received some very unfair criticism on this forum, I suspect most of it is based on his performance against Millwall, when in fact the whole team played badly. Let's not forget this followed his debut against Oxford, when he scored, and received high praise from his manager. Following this he was thrown into a high-pressure local derby for an hour, and has since been unceremoniously dumped by the same manager who said those nice things about him. Nathan Jones is a very fine coach who was getting the best out of Joe ( and the other players) and he knows his onions alright.
  • Options
    So Bolloxbuilder, Madadd, Andynelson and DickPlumb all go to youth games and all have positive things to say about Piggott as does Nathan Jones and other of our coaches. Plus Powell has put him in our squad this season but not put Smith in there and yet people who have seen Piggy play about 2 games and most likley never seen Smith play come out with garbage about Piggys quality. Hmm.
  • Options
    I don't see how anyone who has only seen Piggott play for the first team can possibly make a judgement either way as he has hardly featured and one of the games he did, Millwall, was a bad call from the gaffer.

On the other hand just because he has done well in the youth, reserves etc and Nathan Jones says he is the best finisher blah blah means nothing either. There have been loads of kids who have shown as much, maybe more, promise at many many Clubs who have for one reason or another not made it. At the moment he has potential. That's it. Neither side of this argument can make a judgement either way. Only time will tell. Then the 'I told you so' can begin.
  • Options
    Regarding Piggot, you can only judge on what you see and if you've seen very little then your judgement isn't worth much
    and therefore my view ,on the very little I've seen, he has putting it politely looked raw
    I've never seen anyone that big jump downwards as much and if the ball to feet is his forte then he's been unfortunate because for us it hasn't shown
    But obviously he has done something right in the past at a lower level and prolly needs to build his confidence back up out elsewhere

• Options

I don't see how anyone who has only seen Piggott play for the first team can possibly make a judgement either way as he has hardly featured and one of the games he did, Millwall, was a bad call from the gaffer.

On the other hand just because he has done well in the youth, reserves etc and Nathan Jones says he is the best finisher blah blah means nothing either. There have been loads of kids who have shown as much, maybe more, promise at many many Clubs who have for one reason or another not made it. At the moment he has potential. That's it. Neither side of this argument can make a judgement either way. Only time will tell. Then the 'I told you so' can begin.

large join your brother in the corner, of course what Nathan jones says means something

there are fans at this club that have no idea how to support the youth players we produce, they are so intent on instant results and instant 9-10 players its ridiculous, Joe Piggott has bags of quality, bags of potential and is only a very young lad, who due to our financial circumstance was thrown in deep, not only thrown in deep but expected to play like Yann , He is not Yann he plays in a totally different way, my main criticism of powell in all this is he failed to get the team to play towards Joes strengths, and as such it was the wrong exposure for him.

yet on here there were out of depth, not good enough, useless comments

he is a kid, if the worst would've happened players like Piggott, cousins, poyet, fox, Muldoon would've been the saviour of this club yet certain fans would've ruined them as they are young enough to enjoy sites like this and yet still young enough to be affected by shite posts from people who don't have a clue

• Options

He'd probably think you were an unbelievable moaning ninny
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    To be fair to Large, until he proves himself in the first team, he does only have potential, regardless of what Nathan Jones said. He may be a natural finisher at that level but he still needs to make that step up. Not slagging him down or writing him off-just stating a fact.

Obviously everyone hopes he fulfills that potential and no one should be judging his ability on the basis of a couple of games.
  • Options
    to say that one of the best youth coaches we have had at the club knows nothing or his word holds no weight is nonsense and that's what both large and golfie have said,

of course Piggott is only potential no one is saying he is the real finished issue, but to disregard someone who knows more about football and young footballers is as ridiculous as the comments aimed at Piggott in the first place
  • Options
    that's crap nla. Where have I said his opinion means nothing? All I've said is that all Joe is at the moment is potential. Sometimes potential never fulfils itself, whatever Nathan Jones may or may not say.

Oh, btw, where have I ever slagged off Piggott?
  • Options
    Official website: 'Michael Smith has joined Swindon Town for an undisclosed fee, the club announced on Friday morning.' Do they have a time machine or am I losing track?
  • Options
    I see he is making his own quotes too!
  • Options
    NLA is right about kids reading the football forums. Some of the criticism of Joe Pigott after the Millwall game was pretty nasty, and I can't believe that anyone who had a son Joe's age, or any age for that matter, would post this sort of stuff. All he did was to have a bad game, as did most of the team. Since then he hasn't looked the same player as he did before, which is why I said I hope he has the mental toughness to bounce back. If and when he does get another chance I hope he has Kermorgant alongside him.
  • Options
    @CAFCofficial: CP, on @smudga17: It was a tough call. We bought him to develop, and he had. I had a decision to make... #pressday (IL) #cafc

@CAFCofficial: CP: He has developed into a player who wanted to play week in, week out and I couldn't promise him that. #pressday (IL) #cafc
  • Options

that's crap nla. Where have I said his opinion means nothing? All I've said is that all Joe is at the moment is potential. Sometimes potential never fulfils itself, whatever Nathan Jones may or may not say.

here you quite clearly said his opinion means nothing

On the other hand just because he has done well in the youth, reserves etc and Nathan Jones says he is the best finisher blah blah means nothing either.

and I never said you did slag him off large

• Options
    Good luck Michael. thanks for the memories
  • Options
    Quick Q: Do the development squad train with the first team?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is a big mistake by us.
    Very sad to see him go :(

Good luck Crouchy !
  • Options
    Wish him luck.

Powell does not think he is ready for regular Championship football, he wants to play football. Pretty simple.

Sure he will score against us next season in L1 :)
  • Options
    JT said:

Quick Q: Do the development squad train with the first team?

They do on occasions dont they?

I'm sure in the article with Jack Munns in a Programme a few weeks ago he said he enjoys training with the First Team whenever they get the chance to
  • Options

large join your brother in the corner, of course what Nathan jones says means something

there are fans at this club that have no idea how to support the youth players we produce, they are so intent on instant results and instant 9-10 players its ridiculous, Joe Piggott has bags of quality, bags of potential and is only a very young lad, who due to our financial circumstance was thrown in deep, not only thrown in deep but expected to play like Yann , He is not Yann he plays in a totally different way, my main criticism of powell in all this is he failed to get the team to play towards Joes strengths, and as such it was the wrong exposure for him.

yet on here there were out of depth, not good enough, useless comments

he is a kid, if the worst would've happened players like Piggott, cousins, poyet, fox, Muldoon would've been the saviour of this club yet certain fans would've ruined them as they are young enough to enjoy sites like this and yet still young enough to be affected by shite posts from people who don't have a clue

I do wonder sometimes what would have happened to the likes of Rufus, Newts, Johnny R and co if internet message boards had been around in those days.
  • Options
    He's leading the line on his debut today in what looks like. 4-5-1. Good luck to him.
  • Options
    scores on debut
  • Options
    Scored
  • Options
    Just scored in his first game
  • Options
    Debut goal for Smith
  • Options
    Unbelievable