Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Smith - progress at Rotherham (p18)

Comments

• Options
    Good luck to him. He may well go on to do well but hopefully this is a sign we are fishing in a different pool now.
    Powell was just biding his time and clearly thinks Smithy won't be at the level we'll be looking at.

Good luck - seems a really genuine bloke and hope he goes on to have a decent career
  • Options

Good luck to the lad,shame he was never given a chance by us. Powell sees him in training daily so we bow to his knowledge.

yes, CP must be right and AFC Wimbledon, Swindon & the other 8 clubs trying to sign him are all wrong.

• Options
    It's the fact he never got a chance which is frustrating i mean he didn't play once did he? Sounded like he did well at AFC Wimbledon so surely give him a few games.
  • Options
    yeah afc and Swindon golfie, no championship clubs or prem, you want a striker and would be happy to take smithy , a 3rd or 4th div striker
  • Options
    Tell me about his record on loan in League 1 at Colchester then Golfie?
  • Options

Good luck Michael.

We took a punt on a youngster and it didn't quite work out, as is usually the way with 'punts' - doesn't mean either side did anything wrong. He got to experience and train at a higher level and we sold him for more than we paid, nobody really lost anything.

I get that people have been bitterly disappointed with our senior strikers this year, but Smith is a very young striker who scored 10 goals in League 2 - 10 goals, not 20 or 30. If we'd signed him from AFC Wimbledon as a replacement for Church people would be at best 'underwhelmed' and at worst livid. Just because he's already on the books doesn't make him a better player than if he was coming into the club from elsewhere.

Hopefully this means a new striker will be here in the coming days, but the odds are we've released a decent young forward to go and play at his current level and haven't just released the player who was destined to save our season.

Many young players drop down the leagues and slowly work back up again, incredibly few get released and immediately prove to be underated superstars like Jordan Rhodes was.

He hasn't scored 20 or 30 because we're only halfway through the season. He's also been playing for a mid-table side.

Church has 3 goals this season and I genuinely don't think he would have scored 10 goals in that league by this point.
  • Options

Good luck to the lad,shame he was never given a chance by us. Powell sees him in training daily so we bow to his knowledge.

yes, CP must be right and AFC Wimbledon, Swindon & the other 8 clubs trying to sign him are all wrong.

Pardon? Not sure where I said Powell MUST be right? Just that he sees him every day in training. Apologies if I've misread your post.
  • Options
    golfaddick's comments are hilarious for their staggering consistency in highlighting a poster who understands nothing about football.

• Options

Pardon? Not sure where I said Powell MUST be right? Just that he sees him every day in training. Apologies if I've misread your post.
    It could be that everyone is right and league one / two is his level?
  • Options
    Decent in league 2. Poor record in league one and rapidly benched by Colchester. Never going to be mobile enough for the Championship. Not bothered about this at all.

We got a fee. I'm guessing there will be a sell on clause. I'm also assuming that we are now shopping in Asda as opposed to Lidl.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Too impatient with youngsters at Charlton sometimes.
  • Options
    This must mean we are going to be bringing someone in, surely.
  • Options
    Did Mark Cooper at Swindon manage him at Darlington?
  • Options
    Why does it mean we're bringing a player in?

Smith hasn't played a minute for us this season.
  • Options
    mrbligh said:

Might free up some cash for Jason Scotland

Might have to dig a little deeper for defo though...
  • Options
    @CAFCofficial: Chris Powell confirms to the press that @smudga17 is talking to Swindon Town and could join them on a pernanent basis shortly. #cafc
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    He only found out that he wasn't wanted at CAFC today, and travelled to Swindon tonight to talk, no idea how long contracts take to sort, or how the talks went.
  • Options
    You just know that by next January he's going to be amongst the top scorers in league one and have championship sides sniffing around him for £1m+
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So that's potentially 267k in the coffers tonight?
  • Options

You just know that by next January he's going to be amongst the top scorers in league one and have championship sides sniffing around him for £1m+

Indeed, I very much hope we put in a sell-on clause.

You just NEVER know with strikers, sometimes they develop all of sudden and score 25 goals and hit the big time, just look at Rickie Lambert and Grant Holt.

Smith has done well in League Two and could go higher, we shall have to see.
  • Options

Maybe. That's the risk you take I spose.

I wouldn't say this hasn't worked out either like someone above did - it's earned us 100k. Maybe he wanted to be guaranteed first team football? After all, he's had a taste.

Shame never to see what he could do but we have to admit that goals in L2 don't guarantee you success - read Mcleod and Dickson. Even so, I wish him well. Seemed like a nice bloke. I trust Powelly as well.
  • Options
    If we are at a different level now, with any luck we will be looking to move Church along too. I don't want to hear about his assists. It's goals I'm interested in.
  • Options
    All the best Michael.
  • Options
    If it really is 200k then bloody hell, bloomin good business if you ask me, shame we couldn't have given him a chance.
  • Options
    Kermy said:

If we are at a different level now, with any luck we will be looking to move Church along too. I don't want to hear about his assists. It's goals I'm interested in.

He has five or so goals so far this season. Hardly profilic, I know, but we're struggling at the wrong end of the table. He's worth his place in the squad for now.
  • Options
    I find it amazing that the same people that think SCP is a great manager are complaining that Michael wasn't given a chance. You can't have it both ways. Chris obviously didn't fancy MS one bit and on that basis selling him off without troubling the scorer was good business. Good luck Michael, I wish you well.
  • Options
    Great for all involved, good luck Michael
  • Options

If it really is 200k then bloody hell, bloomin good business if you ask me, shame we couldn't have given him a chance.

If it is £200 then CP should be proud if himself but if it is less than £ 75 then RD has been irresponsible.