Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Smith - progress at Rotherham (p18)

Comments

• Options
    I think he definitely deserves a chance. He's bee a good pro since he signed, and improved himself out on loan not making a fuss about it. Seems a good lad as well, cannot do any worse surely. Good luck to him if it works great, if it doesn't what have we lost?
  • Options
    I agree with all this: Smith must be worth a go, ahead of Church - assuming Powell plays two up front tomorrow.
  • Options
    I know nothing but it seems like we should give him a chance
  • Options
    Surely if the old adage of "in Powell we trust" is right we should trust CP's judgement of Smith to play or not to play.
  • Options
    What if we had Michael Smith and Mackail-Smith up front? That'd be a good partnership.
  • Options

What if we had Michael Smith and Mackail-Smith up front? That'd be a good partnership.

Imagine poor old Emma trying to do the commentry.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure he's in the squad for tomorrow's game.
  • Options
    yep, he's in the squad as he was for the postponed Barnsley game.
  • Options
    Wasn't even on the bench today. What does the poor lad have to do to get a game?
  • Options

Wasn't even on the bench today. What does the poor lad have to do to get a game?

Agreed,cant do any worse than 0!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Should have at least been on the bench. If he couldn't get on it today then he has no future with us under CP in my opinion.
  • Options

Should have at least been on the bench. If he couldn't get on it today then he has no future with us under CP in my opinion.

Agreed if there are 10 teams chasing him then let him get one of them now and find a new club fopr next season, no point in demotivating him, by not giving him a place in a non scoring team

• Options
    Maybe he just isn't ready for this level. CP sees him all week in training, McLeod scored for fun in L2 but the step to the Championship is a big jump.

But with our non existent goal threat he has to be given a go, and I don't really understand why he wasn't on the bench other than CP just doesn't rate him for this level.
  • Options
    Not sure we can have it both ways. We generally laud SCP for his ability as manager working in very difficult circumstances and he obviously doesn't think MS is up to it.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Not sure we can have it both ways. We generally laud SCP for his ability as manager working in very difficult circumstances and he obviously doesn't think MS is up to it.

Couldn't agree more. I felt that the writing was on the wall for Smith when he went on loan to AFC Wimbledon at the beginning of the season.
  • Options

"Given that Michael Smith is playing in the Premier League, how come we let him go on a free?"

"Because, at the time, we were one goal better than the lowest scorers in the Championship (22 goals from 25 games) plus we had our prolific forwards Kermy (5), Churchy (3), Joe P (0) and Super Marv (1) - although the last named wasn't actually with us at the time either in body or spirit. There's no way he was going to get in front of those goal machines was there?".

Edited to reflect today's result.

Having seen the lad a couple of times, my attempt at irony is aimed as much as the chances of young Michael playing in the Premier League as it is his lack of an opportunity with us. Church is a "striker" by trade and has netted 3 times in 25 League appearances for us. It would be difficult to envisage Smith's record being infinitely worse than that. And we can't even argue that Church has set up loads of goals can we?

I suspect that there is something more to this than just CP doesn't fancy him. Because as raw as Smith is, he is at least capable of being a handful to defences and he has scored a number of goals at the highest level he has been allowed to play at.

• Options
    edited January 2014
  • Options
    I didn't like Church's previous stats when we signed him, but he started quite well for us and I appreciated his effort and running. Has he really scored only three goals in 25 league appearances? That's piss-poor for a central striker in any team. Unless Smith is unwell, I can't see why he wasn't at least on the bench. What exactly does Cook do for the team?
  • Options

Unless Smith is unwell, I can't see why he wasn't at least on the bench.

Was 100% fit to play.
  • Options
    Church is not the man to bring on when you need a goal. 3 in 25 is awful at any level for a striker.

Smith may not be good enough for regular Championship football (yet) but he is a physical presence and would surely have caused a few problems from the bench.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2014
    I stand to be corrected, but I should imagine the reason Smith wasn't even on the bench, is as follows :-

Powell has decided he isn't good enough to improve on what we have & is willing to let him go out on loan again or be transferred.

You can only play for 2 clubs in a season and if he played for us today, then effectively we couldn't loan or transfer him, as he wouldn't be able to play for another club this season.

10 clubs want him (allegedly).

Edited - I think you can play for 3 clubs.
  • Options

I stand to be corrected, but I should imagine the reason Smith wasn't even on the bench, is as follows :-

Powell has decided he isn't good enough to improve on what we have & is willing to let him go out on loan again or be transferred.

You can only play for 2 clubs in a season and if he played for us today, then effectively we couldn't loan or transfer him, as he wouldn't be able to play for another club this season.

If he doesn't fancy him and thinks Church is doing a good job, then we may be doomed.

• Options
    if he plays for us he can still go to another club on an 'emergency' 93 day loan
  • Options

Maybe he just isn't ready for this level. CP sees him all week in training, McLeod scored for fun in L2 but the step to the Championship is a big jump

church isnt good enough for championship level so whats the difference! smith did very well at dons and i believe he could do better than church!

• Options
    Rumours on the afc website that we have offered straight swap of smithy for ex Charlton midfielder Harry pell
  • Options

Rumours on the afc website that we have offered straight swap of smithy for ex Charlton midfielder Harry pell

This has got to be a joke, Harry Pell is nowhere near good enough for us, I really can't see this happening. Perhaps we are preparing for life in div 1. But there are three sides worse than us so everything is alright.

• Options
    dickplumb said:

This has got to be a joke, Harry Pell is nowhere near good enough for us, I really can't see this happening. Perhaps we are preparing for life in div 1. But there are three sides worse than us so everything is alright.

I wouldn't believe everything you read...
  • Options

If he doesn't fancy him and thinks Church is doing a good job, then we may be doomed.

This.........and why I think its time for CP to go. We all know where our weakness lies & not to give Smith a run in the team just to see if he can do something is criminal. He can be no worse than Church in any case. Also, seeing as he is cup tied then he can't play Tuesday so it would have given one of our other players a rest.

• Options
    You should be the manager, Golfie
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Gutted for the lad, deserved a chance, we'll never know now.