Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Covered End----Memories

Comments

• Options
    And feeling pretty chuffed when the older blokes gave you the nod.
  • Options
    BaldyB we are all old now its just variations on that theme
  • Options
    Away to Cardiff in their end. A lot of posing and jestering then this guy called Barny (must have been all of 5 foot 3) literally jumped into the middle of the Cardiff crew fists and feet flying. The entire, yes entire Cardiff crew ran to the side of the ground. We just stood there open mouthed...the match was a bore draw, and thanks to Barny no aggro zzzzzzzz.
  • Options

No-one's mentioned Spanker and his completely different brother Don yet? Stuart Morgan, stabbed in the back at Millwall? Kevin Croydon (Horse). Dave and Cliff Waldron. Kevin and Tony Hopkins. Steve Hopkins (not related). We really need a War Memorial!

As we're mentioning names from back it the day he's a few to ring bell John Kindon, 'Scots' Willie, Jim Jarrett (RIP) Phil Quigley, Gary Jones, Stuart Lilly, Keith Giles, Matt Finnegan, Dave. Cox, 'Stokie' 'Cockney' Tel (defected to the ICF) Langton, Johnny Hodgeson (sic) the list is endless of CE legends
  • Options
    One Friday night waiting for the Rent-a-riot coach to arrive we had got a bit too rowdy even for the Antigallican (dancing on the tables) so we were herded outside by the landlady, she was well scary! Standing there bemoaning the fact we got chucked out we saw two dogs mating on the other side of the road. Sorry Chrissy if I have to mention you again, but it was you that dragged the dogs over and pushed them through the front door of the pub with the dogs locked end to end. We looked in the door to see and hear this screaming landlady spraying the two dogs with a fire extinguisher. Well we thought it was funny.
  • Options
    To far maybe ...
  • Options

One Friday night waiting for the Rent-a-riot coach to arrive we had got a bit too rowdy even for the Antigallican (dancing on the tables) so we were herded outside by the landlady, she was well scary! Standing there bemoaning the fact we got chucked out we saw two dogs mating on the other side of the road. Sorry Chrissy if I have to mention you again, but it was you that dragged the dogs over and pushed them through the front door of the pub with the dogs locked end to end. We looked in the door to see and hear this screaming landlady spraying the two dogs with a fire extinguisher. Well we thought it was funny.

Animal cruelty and scaring old dears.

Sound like heroic times.
  • Options
    I remember being in the covered end - which we knew as the shed end. Shed end because of the corrugated sheet covering. It used to remind me of the corrugated bomb shelter in the neighbours back garden. Charlton fans used to bang on the back of the stand. The atmosphere was excellent. As kids we would go with our grandad / and sometimes we used to stand to the right of the call around 15 to 20 metres up.

There was a man selling roasted peanuts walking about.

It could get a bit lively - We beat Chelsea 4-0 and I remember them taking over the shed end and starting a fire. I remember a long line of police coming out on touch line as Chelsea fans tried to get the game abandoned (or so it seemed). We left a bit early to avoid the trouble at the end. In truth Charlton was always a more family club. There was sometimes some trouble outside the ground.

Some great games - Chris Powell's fantastic goal against Brighton in an excellent game. I remember writing up for an essay in the pre 5 -2 against Burnely with a great free kick.

Some really good memories.
  • Options

No-one's mentioned Spanker and his completely different brother Don yet? Stuart Morgan, stabbed in the back at Millwall? Kevin Croydon (Horse). Dave and Cliff Waldron. Kevin and Tony Hopkins. Steve Hopkins (not related). We really need a War Memorial!

As we're mentioning names from back it the day he's a few to ring bell John Kindon, 'Scots' Willie, Jim Jarrett (RIP) Phil Quigley, Gary Jones, Stuart Lilly, Keith Giles, Matt Finnegan, Dave. Cox, 'Stokie' 'Cockney' Tel (defected to the ICF) Langton, Johnny Hodgeson (sic) the list is endless of CE legends
    I remember a few of us met Scots Willie outside the ground down at Southampton many years back (The Dell) ... he'd moved down there for a while and knew all the main Saints faces ... one of the only times we didn't have any rucks down there.

Lots of names in Cardinal Sin's and Valley McMoist's post that I remember extremely well from long away days up north ... and long boozing sessions in the local pubs. We'd sometimes only take a few in number but most of those names were always there with us.
  • Options
    Just a mention for Geoff Baker and Johnny bull 67-70. Inner circle but real gentle guys...loved the bones off them!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2012
    TEL said:

ThatBrighton incident was when we went down on that awful Leauge
    Liner special train, remember that ? It had a disco and tv onboard ? . An Sheff Weds never took covered in my memory ? An there was a point in time when Charlton were a NF sympathetic firm, with only mad person Mackenzie being our resident leftie. However, I think that became nationlist rather than racist, an can remember the poppy guy always doing well outside CoveredEnd on home game near rememberance Sunday.

Sheff Weds had deffo taken the CE, and stayed there, 3rd rd FAC 75/76 ? Remember it well - first time I had seen it happen. Pretty sure Cardiff took it first game of season that followed.
    Anyone recall the bust up on Floyd Road with Forest around 77/78?
    Yup ... and it carried on all the way along Wellington Gardens and up Victoria Way ... pretty sure you were there Tel ... although memory plays tricks ;-
  • Options
    All the names and more mentioned were the central core of the old firm. Great days and many of them still can be seen at home games. Just think we should be careful not to put individual names to actual events. Some may have hidden their interesting pasts.
  • Options
    Valley
    Was Jim Jarett's in a punk band called "the afficted"?
  • Options
    Can't remember if Jim was in a punk band but he was certainly into punk in a big way for a while
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Lots of Covered Enders (Middle Park and Cherry Orchard) in the below pics from the Tunisia tour

• Options
    Was in cell with Jim Jarrett at Port Vale away. We went up on aTuesday night the original sat was called off after we arrived, and there was trouble at station and a copper got knocked out after a police car ran one of ours over. When we went back for the new date, they nicked us all. Though we were in their end when we were nicked.

• Options
    SESEVEN said:

Valley
    Was Jim Jarett's in a punk band called "the afficted"?

He was in a punk band in the late 70's early 80's although I can't remember the name.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Lots of Covered Enders (Middle Park and Cherry Orchard) in the below pics from the Tunisia tour

Don;t think anybody has mentioned Deano Palmer, Middle Park boy, I was a bit younger than Deano but all that Middle Park lot of that era were mad, the Mercer;s, Lilley's ( was in the same primary class as Tina and she was worse than all her brothers), Middle Park was proper Charlton back in the 70's.

• Options
    <Anyone recall the bust up on Floyd Road with Forest around 77/78?

Think that was the night game? 76/77 maybe

I was at the night game at the city ground and it kicked off there big time.Was 76/77

Was jim in a band called Afflicted, memeory loss but i knew the Afflicted and they were around for a short while, 3 piece.

• Options

Deano Palmer, the Mercers, Andy and Rob White, all Middle Park.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Barry Rolfe, Charlton boy, anyone remember?.
  • Options
    does any one remember the away game at Mansfield in 1978? Had to change trains at nottingham and were using the same train as chelsea who played forest. Buffet bar was forced open and looted,until police got on at wellingborough. it was in the. news of the
    world the next Sunday. somebody had a go at one of their reporter or something.
  • Options
    does any one remember the away game at Mansfield in 1978? Had to change trains at nottingham and were using the same train as chelsea who played forest. Buffet bar was forced open and looted,until police got on at wellingborough. it was in the. news of the
  • Options
  • Options
    sorry for repeating
  • Options
    Remember going round Charlton Village on the day after the Friday night Forest game and a lot of the shops had been smashed up as well. There was a lot of trouble against them that night!
  • Options
    I remeber a game when Millwall had an away postponed and turn up right in the middle of the CE and after much taunting kicked, punched at awayone who was near.
  • Options
    Badger said:

Barry Rolfe, Charlton boy, anyone remember?.

Was he a stocky bloke with curly hair......would have been in his twenties mid seventies?

• Options
    E-cafc said:

Remember going round Charlton Village on the day after the Friday night Forest game and a lot of the shops had been smashed up as well. There was a lot of trouble against them that night!

They overturned a car as well

• Options

Anyone remember the walk to QPR...Hello Woolworths we're Charlton and it's freeby time. Oh dear, I'm so respectful now.

Yep.
    I've been unable to post as my keyboard was ferked but I've got a new computer now.
    @Tel, we must be known to each other a we seem to have been in all the same places at the same times!
    Regarding the axe. Forest definately had an axeman at the Friday night game when they got in the covered end. They were a hard bunch who carried it on in the RoD and the Broom (Pickwick) until well late.
    For those a bit uncomfortable with the violence side of things, 99% was chasing, getting chased and generally shouting a lot. Actually going toe to toe with someone was pretty rare.
    Worst experiences were anything to do with Millwall and best when everyone turned out.
    Yeah possibly mate. I was from Welling in those days. I totally agree about the 99%. As a youngster, we always tending to back up the older lads more than anything. I remember the Covered End always smelling of Light Ale....

There was a bloke called Barry in The Covered End. He turned to my mate who had just bought a Mug and said...."Can I borrow that" My mate said yeah and Barry promptly ran down the front of The Covered End and smacked a Northerner over the head with it....it may well have been a Preston fan, but it wasnt the promotion game.