Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

It's snowing ! (Feb 2022 Page 77)

Comments

• Options
    Came and went in Kilburn.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Oggy Red said:

Snow .... what's that?

Apart from very occasionally on the tops of the Moors, haven't seen any down here in dear old Cornwall since 2010.
    What we've got right now is a very mild and very damp 12 degrees, proper Cornish Mizzle.

Good luck with making your snow men up there.

That'll be due to the warm North Atlantic Drift then; I knew my Geography 'O' level would be useful one day. :wink:
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

Bragging again!
  • Options

Yep, you're right, Mr Chaser. Wish it would drift a bit further north again - down here we seem to have lost our prevailing SW winds, which brought, amongst the showers, at least some sunshine - we weren't known as Sunny Cornwall for nothing.

The last few years have just brought wave after wave of NW winds and gloomy grey skies, day after day..
    Something has definitely changed.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Total whiteout here in Mereworth, Kent. 30mm has settled and still coming down
  • Options
    Not 30mm? Hope the cupboards are fully stocked.
  • Options
    Annoyingly I left my laptop at work on Friday so I have to brave the southeastern chaos. Bloody annoying. Would have been a nice excuse to work from home today.
  • Options
    White in Wakering
  • Options
    Panic! Panic!
  • Options
    Stig said:

White in Wakering

Racist
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2018

Stig said:

White in Wakering

Racist
    What’s it like in Bexley?. L said she saw 2 inches this morning...same as every morning I guess.
  • Options

Total whiteout here in Mereworth, Kent. 30mm has settled and still coming down

You better get the snow plough out.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Traffic barely moving in Maidstone even though there really isn't that much snow on the ground.

It does seem to make some drivers act like idiots. Looking out of my lounge window I've seen several van drivers overtake the queue, on the wrong side of the central island outside my house. Have decide to delay leaving for work as there is no point in sitting in a queue.
  • Options
    Only just stopped here, came down fairly hard earlier, now the sun is breaking through.
  • Options
    Woke up to this in Barnehurst:

• Options
    Oh come on... the snow wasn't that deep?
  • Options

Lovely bright sunny day down here
    Not a trace of any snow not even on the distant moors.

Bit nippy in the NE wind though. Just happy to get my washing on the line.

• Options
    Fecking joke. According to the BBC, Kent got around 3 cm if the white stuff this morning, and yet there were accidents & hold-ups galore. 3 fecking centimetres - not 3 metres or even 3 inches - 3 centimetres (which if my maths is correct is just over an inch). Is this a news story ?? By comparison Moscow has got its average monthly snowfall in just the last 2 days alone.
  • Options
    20cm fell here over the weekend & it hovered around -20 most of the time - made for good skiing yesterday at Lake Louise.
  • Options

Fecking joke. According to the BBC, Kent got around 3 cm if the white stuff this morning, and yet there were accidents & hold-ups galore. 3 fecking centimetres - not 3 metres or even 3 inches - 3 centimetres (which if my maths is correct is just over an inch). Is this a news story ?? By comparison Moscow has got its average monthly snowfall in just the last 2 days alone.

The problem in the depths of Kent early on was black ice under the snow as much as the snow itself.

My oldest daughter skidded but fortunately came to no harm.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Solidgone said:

Just like the Milkman...
  • Options
    Okay, okay, no need to take the piss :smile:

I was not panicking however I had to take my 93 year old mum to the hospital this morning so when I looked out the window I was shocked to see a snow covering.

Its all gone now though so as you were
  • Options
    its settled! god help us all.
  • Options
    quite a covering here in Sevenoaks & still on the car by midday - just looked out & its snowing again.
  • Options
    The Met Office are a conservative bunch so I would recommend watching this video just released.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AnN9UZBDZio
  • Options
    Self confessed weather geek here, all I'll say is that it's looking like we could potentially get some crazy snow across the country by the end of next week (I'm talking a minimum of 10cm everywhere, on the hills will be way more!).

BUT, you can only forecast weather accurately 3 days ahead, it's definitely going to get very cold next week but if and how much snow we'll be seeing won't be known for another few days. One thing I'll say though, the last time we had a stratosphere warming event like the one last week was 2010... so there's hope for snow lovers
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Hex said:

The Met Office are a conservative bunch so I would recommend watching this video just released.

The BBC have dropped the Met office and their forecasts have been pretty crap since. I'm going with this guy, lots of snow next week please.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Hex said:

The BBC have dropped the Met office and their forecasts have been pretty crap since.
    All computer models and therefore forecasters have been predicting this for over a week. The watchword is "be prepared" (I know that's two words). Predicting snow even 24 hours ahead is a mug's game so don't rely too much on your phone apps. A slight wind direction change can turn a flurry into heavy snow that wasn't predicted. This could be a very rare event.
  • Options
    I've been watching the excitement build over the past week in the netweather forums (its a welcome distraction from the takeover thread). Respected posters reading the charts say potentially a week of snow for the south-east.
  • Options
    If anyone’s interested, this is from an ECMFW weather model (one I’ve been trusting for years)... can see why we’re all getting excited