Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lloyd Sam

edited August 2012 in General Charlton
On trial at New York Red Bulls.

Comments

• Options
    Good luck to him, would be an awesome move for him. Playing in league one or in New York with Henry? Easy one.
  • Options

On trial at New York Red Bulls.

Although not the greatest player in the world I never disliked Mr Sam. However, who does he know that has managed to get him over there?!
  • Options
    Never rated him that much to be honest.....bit of a show pony.
  • Options
    Incredible opportunity for him. Good luck Lloyd.
  • Options
    People should not think he will earn big dough over there, the big name players get 95% of the cash and the journeymen fight over the scraps.

Probably be lucky to get the same money he was on at Leeds.
  • Options

People should not think he will earn big dough over there, the big name players get 95% of the cash and the journeymen fight over the scraps.

Was probably on a few quid there though
  • Options
    poor americans
  • Options
    Yeah aren't they only allowed 3 players on high wages and everyone else is capped? Can't imagine he would be one of the chosen 3.
  • Options
    I will run him to the airport.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    please do
  • Options

Not under "Cuddly" Ken Bates!!!

Don't forget Sam was on decent money at Charlton from the Premiership days so he probably would not have got that much more at Leeds given how tight Ken Bates is around a pound note.

My friend has great connections at Leeds - and has lunched with Bates several times - and Bates takes great pride in how cheaply he can get players to come to the club - he hates paying a penny more than he has to.
  • Options

Yeah aren't they only allowed 3 players on high wages and everyone else is capped? Can't imagine he would be one of the chosen 3.

Remember reading Beckham was sitting in the same dressing room on £150k + a week with team mates on £500 a week.
  • Options
    Not really sure why they would want him, no chance he will be on big wages as they will not be releasing one of there star players to pay him big, has to be a purely lifestyle decision for him.

Plus they just signed Cahill who will be one of the big money players, can't see them swapping Henry for Sam as one of there high earners.

Good luck to him there, one of the best clubs over there in terms of long term planning for the future of Soccer(Silly Americans).
  • Options
    Don't they also have Rafi Marquez ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Yes as far as im aware.
  • Options
    I'll buy him a ticket.

Hello Dan
  • Options

se9addick said:

Yes as far as im aware.
    Cahill, Marquez, Henry and....Sam ! The first three should just pass it amongst themselves.
  • Options
    masicat said:

I will run him to the airport.

You would probably overtake him

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Whenever I see his name I just think of the one good game I ever saw him play (Anfield) then I suddenly remember his grinning face at Northwich Victoria...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He was decent against Brentford once. That's...that's not really a ringing endorsement is it? Did like him though, as frustratingly inconsistent as he was. Hope he makes a go of it in New York
  • Options
    Good luck to him but is the MLS really that bad?
  • Options
    Tbh he would have looked a lot better in a better team. But there's only so much time you can give a player
  • Options
    I'm going to watch a game in September, could be very odd seeing Lloydy playing
  • Options

Its very entertaining, no doubt about that, but the standard is probably League One level.

Just watch the games and see how much time players like Beckham get on the ball compared to games in the PL where someone is snapping at your feet 99% of the time.

I spoke to a player here in Oz who had played in the MLS and now in the A-League here and he said the levels of the two were very similar but nowhere near the major European leagues.
  • Options

Its very entertaining, no doubt about that, but the standard is probably League One level.

Just watch the games and see how much time players like Beckham get on the ball compared to games in the PL where someone is snapping at your feet 99% of the time.

I spoke to a player here in Oz who had played in the MLS and now in the A-League here and he said the levels of the two were very similar but nowhere near the major European leagues.
    It sounds like Sam should fit in perfectly then.
  • Options
    Worked hard and could waltz past a man without using pace. Couldn't cross so may have been a better player centrally.
  • Options

Maybe so, but where would 95% of us choose to live if given the choice between New York or Yorkshire? I'd be whistling yankee doodle dandy all the way to the airport........................
  • Options
    Great move for him if it comes off. Sam was okay he's a good league one winger any higher than that he struggles.
  • Options

Not under "Cuddly" Ken Bates!!!

Don't forget Sam was on decent money at Charlton from the Premiership days so he probably would not have got that much more at Leeds given how tight Ken Bates is around a pound note.

My friend has great connections at Leeds - and has lunched with Bates several times - and Bates takes great pride in how cheaply he can get players to come to the club - he hates paying a penny more than he has to.
    That last paragraph could explain why a massive club like Leeds have been out of the Premier League for eight seasons. He must be very proud of himself!