Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Olympics: Football

Comments

• Options
    I agree that the Olympics is an amateur competition, and agree that football/tennis and golf should not be there. It is a chance for a number of other sports to take centre stage for once. But, I also think the Olympics is the greatest sporting competition in the world. I prefer it to world cups because so many countries are present. The same names crop up in football, rugby, cricket and tennis. It's nice that random countries have athletes and its a chance for the world to celebrate together. I think it should be made bigger, and I think for fun, like Rugby 7's, a 5-a-side indoor football tournament and a 10/15 over cricket tourney would be fun. That way them sports wouldn't be taken as seriously and dominate the tournament.
  • Options
    The Olympic Games competitors are far from amateur - the vast majority are paid to do their sport these days. I am happy to see football included, just wish Team GB had got through as I've got tickets for the men's final!
  • Options
    edited August 2012

The Olympic Games competitors are far from amateur - the vast majority are paid to do their sport these days. I am happy to see football included, just wish Team GB had got through as I've got tickets for the men's final!

Lots of neutrals at the 1/4's and the stadium was literally half empty as they poured out before the final whistle with most missing the third goal and many missing the second. It resulted in a strange end to the game.

Obviously these guys stayed til the end - the giant raddish had travelled the country!

• Options
    Being an amateur or proffesional has for a long time not been relevent, and I don't think it's a problem either way.
    What should be relevant is how important the Olympics is to the sport and the competitors. As said, when it comes to tennis, football and golf the Olympics are insignificant and should therefore not be included.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Sturridge over rated waste of space no pride or passion

So he missed a penalty - that means he has no pride or passion?

Let's say Chris Solly had made it into the Team GB squad, as he had a chance of doing - would he be deemed an overpaid, passionless loser like you lot are panning the rest of them with?

What he said.

The top tennis players get paid as much if not more than the GB footballers. All the other football squads were pros are well.

He missed a pen = he has no pride or passion. FFS God forbid Mo Farah doesn't win the 5k or he'll become a "loser", "big headed" "over paid waster" and yes of course he gets paid
  • Options
    It's also pretty ridiculous that the other Olympic sports are represented by athletes who are the absolute pinnacles of their profession, while the football rolls out the kids. As if it wasn't pointless enough to start with, the title of Olympic football champion rings hollow compared to the other events under those circumstances
  • Options

yer sorry meant it was an amateur competition, but since Tennis and Football, and now Golf, it no longer is. I agree there is not enough cricket playing nations, but how many countries enter teams in the rowing/cycling, there's only 7/8 in each
  • Options
    the am boxers get paid
  • Options
    Pearce has stated the team will learn from this experience - does he know it's every 4 years -perhaps he will learn to celebrate a goal

• Options
    This USA v Canada is a bit mad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great game.
  • Options
    Wow - a USA winner in the 122nd minute.
  • Options
    How good are some of those players, Alex Morgan great player (nothing butch about her)
  • Options
    Alex Morgan:

• Options
    In fairness that cross for the winner was better than anything Green or Wagstaff put in all season.

First saw a women's international about 5 years ago and it was laughable. On the basis of this Olympics it's really come on - goalkeeping (particuarly crosses) is still the area that really lets it down.
  • Options
    Odd thoughts ( or lack of ) on here. As others have said, very few sports, if any, are truly amateur these days. To me, the true definition of amateur is having a proper job, and taking part in your sport in your spare time. Funding of any kind makes you a pro, in my view. Not a tennis fan, but those knocking it obviously didn't see how happy the winners were.

Couple of other points:

The top athletics competitors earn an absolute fortune.

Football has been part of every games, bar one, for 112 years.
  • Options
    Seven Cameroonian athletes have absconded while in Britain for the Olympics, officials say.

The seven, including five boxers, are suspected of having decided to stay in Europe for economic reasons, Reuters news agency reports.

A reserve goalkeeper for the women's soccer team, Drusille Ngako, was the first to disappear, the agency quoted Cameroon's Olympic mission as saying.

Earlier, an an Ethiopian torchbearer also disappeared.
  • Options
    Going to Japan v Mexico today, hopefully be a good game.
  • Options

Going to Japan v Mexico today, hopefully be a good game.</blockquote

Japan were awesome against Egypt - should be a cracker mate - enjoy!
    (Couldn't get tickets this late for less than £125, otherwise I would be there too!)

• Options
    Cheers 3-0 wasn't it? Would prefer Japan to win but not too bothered.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2012

Cheers 3-0 wasn't it? Would prefer Japan to win but not too bothered.

Yup, could have been 5-0 !

If you see a Japanese guy dressed as a giant raddish, say hello to him and say you are a fellow Charlton fan!
    He has been to all the Japanese men's and women's games, by public transport, criss crossing the country.

Also the Japanese bloke who walks round with his red-painted face stuck through a large white board is a laugh - he holds the board up all through the game.
  • Options

I would suggest that it is the coaching of football that would result in greatly improved performances.
    As discussed on the euro's thread, we are pitifully short of qualified football coaches. I'd hazard a guess we are pretty well off for cycling and rowing coaches.

That's exactly what I was alluding to Floyd, over the years there's always been some excuse of another - Argentina cheated, Ronaldo winked, the manager isn't English, we're just no good at penalties, Sol's goal should have stood, etc, etc, when the true fundamental problem has been lack of talent (or at least talent in depth brought about by the wrong things being coached and the wrong abilities favoured over others) and lack of tactical understanding. There are other factors, but for me it's always been those 2 that are at the heart of the problem and have never been properly addressed.

To be fair, the Academy structure is being revamped and the new Centre in Burton is finally open so the FA at least trying to do something - I don't agree with it all, but it is at least happening which is a vast improvement on 10 years ago. Lets hope we see some fruit starting to ripen in 5 to 10 years time.

Well to be fair Argentina certainly DID cheat!!!

• Options
    Magnificent first goal from Japan.
    Now 1-1
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    First time I've been to the new Wembley today, Japan and Mexico look neat and tidy sides, cracking goal from Japan, 1-1 half time.
  • Options
    Now I know the finalists are Brazil & Mexico, which team do I support when I go to Wembley on Saturday?!
  • Options
    Can those that have been tell me if you can take beers to your seats during the game, I have some Americans here who are going the game tonight so just thought I'd warn them if not.

By the way re the Adlington stuff... this is what she said on twitter: "Cant believe I can say I've been in 4Olympic finals and got 4medals. Got to look back and be proud but obviously a little bit upset tonight!"

I dont think they were tears of joy she was crying.

• Options
    Nope, same rules that apply to domestic football apply to the Olympics football tonight over booze.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Thanks.

• Options
    Sepp Blatter roundly booed by what seemed the whole stadium as he was announced as the presenter of the medals for the Women's Football.

And you could tell he didn't like it either.

Think on the Blatter, as you stand within a fantastic Wembley stadium and see the UK put on an incredible Olympic games as you try and sort our the issues of a World Cup in Russia, let alone Qatar.
  • Options
    Urgh, I see Clattenburg is going to be given the opportunity to make the final all about him. That's my Saturday ruined.

2-1 Dodgy penalty
    2-1 Dodgy sending off
    4-1 Send Neymar off for imaginary incident
    6-1 Three plus red cards