Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Olympics: Football

Comments

• Options
    GB women scored a couple of great goals, and Brazil men today had a couple of magical goals too.
  • Options
    GB women scored a couple of great goals, and Brazil men today had a couple of magical goals too.
    " Here come the girls...." !
  • Options
    edited July 2012

Saga Lout said:

Only the English players sang the anthem (according to the BBC this morning). It seems that the national anthem is just for the English these days.

I did not see any evidence of that in the Euros, hardly any of them sang it, unlike the French, Spanish & Italians.
    I don't know what Euros you was watching . They all sang the anthem including Rooney and for you to say Spain sang their anthem is almost laughable .
  • Options
    These Spaniards are a bit rubbish aren't they?
  • Options
    I dont recall Giggs belting out Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau when playing for Wales so a bit harsh to have a go for not singing God Save the Queen.
  • Options
    Nice goal by Sturridge!
  • Options
    That was a great half of football
  • Options
    Good to see Danny Haynes in goal for the UAE.
  • Options
    2nd half was great

Saga Lout said:

Only the English players sang the anthem (according to the BBC this morning). It seems that the national anthem is just for the English these days.

I did not see any evidence of that in the Euros, hardly any of them sang it, unlike the French, Spanish & Italians.
    I don't know what Euros you was watching . They all sang the anthem including Rooney and for you to say Spain sang their anthem is almost laughable .
    Agree people slating English for not singing whilst siting Spain as examples of how it should be done is hilarious !
  • Options
    Please say your being ironic about the Spanish anthem?

Anyway, back from Wembley, great day, two cracking games, and for only £20.

Love the Olympics
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great start for the ladies against Brazil. Team GB go 1-0 up in the 2nd minute with a lovely goal.
  • Options
    they are playing well.

if i was a womans football coach id work on putting the ball in the box from anywhere, more than anything else. the goalkeepers are very poor.
  • Options
    Me too, but sadly the injunction has put an end to that dream.
  • Options
    It's a shame there's no option of a Keys/Grays commentary on this.
  • Options
    The girls are playing SO well. What a shame Kelly Smith missed that penalty. Should have been 2-0.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Superb win over one of the favourites for the gold medal. And in front of a 70,000 + crowd at Wembley too. We bossed the game from start to finish. Well played girls!
  • Options
    Great win for them, they looked more impressive and passionate than the Mens team.

To top it all off, they got Powell as manager lol
  • Options
    Canada in the quarter-finals, so a good chance of advancing into the semis.

A great performance, if only the men's team would play with that kind of passion and commitment.
  • Options
    Have to say I've never been the biggest Fan of the women's game but am very impressed with the GB team's skill in this tournament. Pretty gutsy too IMHO.

TBH I'd rather watch them play than the men .....controversial ?
  • Options

A great performance, if only the men's team would play with that kind of passion and commitment.

dont get this. they did alright the other night didnt they?

think the GB womens team consists of 10 England players...so very familiar with each other.

well done anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No, Fanny, not controversial (well OK, maybe on here!)
    I am with you on this one, having watched both versions in these Olympics.
    Having watched Canada they are a good strong team who lack precision passing skills displayed by the other 1/4 finalists.
    Unlike the men, there is precious little play-acting and greater honest endeavour.
    It's more like 'real' football that fans can relate to.
  • Options

The Men's British team played ok - but that's one match, you've obviously missed a lot of half-assed performances by the men's English team over the last few years, lucky you...we were especially insipid in the last World Cup.
  • Options
    edited July 2012

The Men's British team played ok - but that's one match, you've obviously missed a lot of half-assed performances by the men's English team over the last few years, lucky you...we were especially insipid in the last World Cup.

no i 'obviously' havent. for a start this is a GB team made up of completely different players, and have been together for a very limited time. Some havent even played in front of these type of crowds before!

England at the Euros were a lot more dogged and looked like a set of players that actually wanted to play for each other. comparing them now to the SA performance is like comparing Parkys charlton to CP's. But like i say the mens team is GB not England...different players completely.

• Options
    edited July 2012
  • Options

no i 'obviously' havent. for a start this is a GB team made up of completely different players, and have been together for a very limited time. Some havent even played in front of these type of crowds before!

England at the Euros were a lot more dogged and looked like a set of players that actually wanted to play for each other. comparing them now to the SA performance is like comparing Parkys charlton to CP's. But like i say the mens team is GB not England...different players completely.

Make you right VG.

Tonight's game was very entertaining, liked the lack of cheating and moaning - as in the other games I have watched, and I really liked the atmosphere. Very different from what we are used to. A general buzz rather than specific chanting. Can't say I would want that every week, but it fits in with the Olympics.
  • Options
    Had a thoroughly good night at Wembley, excellent game of football, a lot of quality on show, Kim Little is an absolute baller, and Karen Bradsley looks like the first really high class women's keeper.

Think they'll at least get Bronze with the way the draw is shaking out
  • Options
    I thought the standard was good and the game very watchable. Some of the tackles were quite tough from Brazil and may have been dealt with more severely in a men's game. Women's football has improved immensely over the last 10 years, it seems. I couldn't help wondering what level of men's team could they beat. Any thoughts?

I love this tweet from Andy Smart, the great Comedy Store player......

Rodrigo Lopez, Socrates, the Amazonian Rain Forest, Pele, Seu Jorges, your girls took a helluva beating tonight! #1-0toteamGB
  • Options
    Not sure either Rhoys Wiggins or even SCP himself could have scored a goal like that from left back! Well done Stef Houghton.
  • Options
    3 goals in 3 Olympic games for left back Stephanie Houghton. That's a pretty amazing record actually.
  • Options
    10 English, but the little Scottish girl was man of the match, I thought (well alright, woman of the match then).

I'm not a fan of women's footy - and yes I've watched Charlton Ladies live in the WPL - but last night's game was well worth watching. What men's level could that team beat? It doesn't really matter, does it? In the Olympics its all about going for gold and frankly they have a better chance than their male counterparts. Good luck to 'em!