Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Addicks from overseas

Comments

• Options
    I've been to Kista - thought it was more like the Bronx of Stockholm !
  • Options

1) Where you are residing now, and why/how you are there?
    2) Where you come from originally?
    3) How many times you get to The Valley on average every season.
    4) What is your greatest memory as a Charlton fan?

For the purpose of this thread, lets regard anywhere outside of England as being overseas.!

• Options
    Rob said:

1) Walnut Creek, California. Work and adventure brought me here.
    2) Shooters Hill and Sidcup
    3) Between 3 and 6
    4) Home v Portsmouth December 1992. Wembley playoff May 1998.

@Rob you don't work for Bank of America, do you?
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    1) Copenhagen, Denmark. Met a Danish girl in London back in 2006. She is now my wife and we have 2 beautiful daughters together.
    2) Bromley
    3) 2-3 games a season
    4) 1998 Playoff Final at Wembley
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    1) Albufeira, Portugal. Were fed up with our jobs, had paid off the mortgage, so decided to give it a try. Been here 14 years next month.
    2) Born in Hitchin, lived in Stevenage until I was 4, schooled in Biggleswade, moved to Northampton when I was 18. Then to Thornton Heath when I was 20, and finally Penge (via Woodside) in '88.
    3) Usually a couple a year, although last year there were no home games when we visited (for the first time we did not bother to plan the visit around games like we normally do). Will just be at the Pompey game this year.
    4) Dec 5 '92
  • Options

1) Albufeira, Portugal. Were fed up with our jobs, had paid off the mortgage, so decided to give it a try. Been here 14 years next month.
    2) Born in Hitchin, lived in Stevenage until I was 4, schooled in Biggleswade, moved to Northampton when I was 18. Then to Thornton Heath when I was 20, and finally Penge (via Woodside) in '88.
    3) Usually a couple a year, although last year there were no home games when we visited (for the first time we did not bother to plan the visit around games like we normally do). Will just be at the Pompey game this year.
    4) Dec 5 '92

Was in Hitchin the other week, delivering near the priory
  • Options
    1. Auckland, internal transfer through work for 2 years.
    2. Born in Sidcup, lived in surrounding areas all my life.
    3. Hopefully 2-3 per year.
    4. Wembley.
  • Options
    Was in Hitchin the other week, delivering near the priory

I was in the Priory the other week after delivering near Hitchin :smiley:
  • Options

Rob said:

1) Walnut Creek, California. Work and adventure brought me here.
    2) Shooters Hill and Sidcup
    3) Between 3 and 6
    4) Home v Portsmouth December 1992. Wembley playoff May 1998.

@Rob you don't work for Bank of America, do you?
    I have in the past but not now though. Why do you ask?
  • Options
    Anyone working overseas and still own UK property?

Just wondering on the tax implications on this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    jamescafc said:

We’re going to get as much as we can from you.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    1) Somerville, Massachusetts - moved over for work 24 years ago
    2) Plumstead Common
    3) 1 or 2
    4) Sunderland playoff final, followed closely by Leeds playoff - two of the most emotionally draining games I’ve ever seen.
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

Just sold mine this year
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    1) Perth, arrived in 1993, not sure why... married a Bassendean girl since.
    2) Kibbutz Reim Israel, then Streatham, Beulah Hill, Croydon, Tooting. Should have been a Nigel but lost my trumpet.
    3) did a huge D tour February flying Perth Tel Aviv via Rochdale. Was suppose to be the valley but thanks to Oxford beating Newcastle in the cup (fixture change) ended up at Crown Oil stadium (go explain that to my arrogant Israeli mates who fly to every Classico).
    4) first game for me back at the Valley (lost 1:0 to Sunderland) after 5 years of not missing a game at Selhurst park (almost).
  • Options
    Perth Western Australia, came here in 96 as a 22 year old
    From Charlton, grew up in Wolfe Crescent a couple of streets from the Valley
    Haven't been to a game since leaving as I always seem to get back in the off season
    Strangely my best memories were getting in free at halftime with my friends from my street when I was about 8 or 9
  • Options
    1) Sydney. One way ticket to Oz in 2015 just had enough of UK really. Met a Welsh girl, now settled here about to apply for permanent residency.

2) Hythe, Kent

3) Once now, had a season ticket in NU for years.

4) League 1 season under Powell in the modern era was fun. 98' before that.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    1) Eugene, Oregon for a year and a bit. Came here because a friend was having health problems and wanted to be closer to her, and because it's beautiful and relatively cheap.
    2) Born in Chicago but grew up in Los Angeles.
    3) At one point it was 2-3 but haven't been in coming up on three years due to a combination of my own health problems, my dog's health problems, and work. Was considering moving back to London before that.
    4) My first Charlton game where we beat Palace 2-0 in which I got to see Luke Varney score twice. As best I can remember those were the only two he scored for us. Scored like 10 in the Prem for Blackpool something like five years later.

Special mention to Rotherham away a couple years ago. I wasn't there but watched it streaming. It really felt like we were going to turn it around and not get relegated. There was such hope and promise that day.
  • Options

1. Mandurah, Western Australia
    2. Kidbrooke Estate- loved it.
    3. As many times as possible, when I'm over, but not often enough
    4. Beating Villa 3-2 at home in the same season that they had earlier beaten us 11-2 at their place.

Just down the road from me, I'm in Baldivis.
    Went to Kidbrooke school and lived on the ferrier not long before moving here
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Couldn’t remember if I’d done this or not, blimey I was optimistic about the Premiership back in 2012.
    Last game was Jan this year our glorious 4-1 win over Bristol Rovers, Mags hat trick. Moving to Luxembourg next year, so hopefully be a bit more of a regular visitor

1) Cape Town,since 95, came for a wedding only been home on holiday, now married to a SA girl with 2 lovely girls
    2) born in Forest hill, mum still lives in Sydenham
    3) Was back at Xmas 2010 went to the Southampton game, bought my ticket, got a new scarf and we all know what happened then, bloody referee, gutted. Will be back home next year for a holiday, hopefully we will be premiership by then.
    4) Man U cup quarter final, lousy result but a great day out and the our fans were amazing.

• Options
    jamescafc said:

Still own my house. Rented out. Pay UK income tax on it, but could elect to pay all income tax here to the Czech system if I wanted to (double taxation treaty) What would you like to know?

If you want an "offshore' solution there are other Lifers who can better help you :-)

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Couldn’t remember if I’d done this or not, blimey I was optimistic about the Premiership back in 2012.
    Last game was Jan this year our glorious 4-1 win over Bristol Rovers, Mags hat trick. Moving to Luxembourg next year, so hopefully be a bit more of a regular visitor

1) Cape Town,since 95, came for a wedding only been home on holiday, now married to a SA girl with 2 lovely girls
    3) Was back at Xmas 2010 went to the Southampton game, bought my ticket, got a new scarf and we all know what happened then, bloody referee, gutted. Will be back home next year for a holiday, hopefully we will be premiership by then.
    4) Man U cup quarter final, lousy result but a great day out and the our fans were amazing.

Oi, Phil, you stalking me, or wot ? :neutral:
  • Options

Oi, Phil, you stalking me, or wot ? :neutral:
    You’ve meet me surely you could see those stalker tendencies
  • Options
    1) Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Always fancied trying living abroad for a while. Imagined I'd end up in New Zealand, but when the firm I worked for in the UK bought a Canadian company and offered me a transfer here I took it - job waiting, moving/immigration costs paid for, was a no-brainer. 6.5 years later I've bought a house, had a Canadian baby, and have zero intention of ever moving back to the UK. Am now eligible to apply for citizenship so will probably be doing that soon.

2) Born in Greenwich hospital, lived in Blackheath until I was 3, then moved to Kidderminster in Worcestershire, stayed there until I was 29 then onto Alberta.

3) Have been to a couple of games minimum in every season since I left, except last season. Despite our attempts to stay away, family and friends keep getting married so we seem to end up back in the UK for a wedding or something most years. Last matches were home to Wigan and Bury so I haven't been much of a good luck charm this season.

4) Tough to pick one, 5th Dec '92, play-off final vs Sunderland, 4-2 away at Aston Villa '99 (game had everything and I grew up surrounded by Villa fans).
  • Options

1) Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Always fancied trying living abroad for a while. Imagined I'd end up in New Zealand, but when the firm I worked for in the UK bought a Canadian company and offered me a transfer here I took it - job waiting, moving/immigration costs paid for, was a no-brainer. 6.5 years later I've bought a house, had a Canadian baby, and have zero intention of ever moving back to the UK. Am now eligible to apply for citizenship so will probably be doing that soon.

2) Born in Greenwich hospital, lived in Blackheath until I was 3, then moved to Kidderminster in Worcestershire, stayed there until I was 29 then onto Alberta.

3) Have been to a couple of games minimum in every season since I left, except last season. Despite our attempts to stay away, family and friends keep getting married so we seem to end up back in the UK for a wedding or something most years. Last matches were home to Wigan and Bury so I haven't been much of a good luck charm this season.

4) Tough to pick one, 5th Dec '92, play-off final vs Sunderland, 4-2 away at Aston Villa '99 (game had everything and I grew up surrounded by Villa fans).

What do you most enjoy/appreciate about living there?

• Options

jamescafc said:

Still own my house. Rented out. Pay UK income tax on it, but could elect to pay all income tax here to the Czech system if I wanted to (double taxation treaty) What would you like to know?

If you want an "offshore' solution there are other Lifers who can better help you :-)

Thanks for the offer.

Do you still get your tax free income allowance and then just pay 20% on the remainder or is it a completely different system for expats?

• Options
    jamescafc said:

jamescafc said:

Thanks for the offer.

Do you still get your tax free income allowance and then just pay 20% on the remainder or is it a completely different system for expats?

Yes, they treat me more or less like a UK resident. The only difference I can think of being non-resident (i.e in UK less than 186 days per year) is that I pay no tax on dividends. Which is usually good for two beers a year at the Long Pond, in my case :-)

As I understand it, I could instead declare that all income will be taxed by the Czech authorities. It is a marginal call in my case, and of course both countries keep messing with their income tax rates. But if I am a UK taxpayer I can bang on with credibility about the Olympic Stadium to the American citizen who cooked up the scheme. And of course keep the high moral ground on CL political threads.

One disadvantage to watch is that if I would need to sell it, the proceeds would be subject to CGT, and since I bought it in 1985, that's a lot of CG. However I think you only have to come back and declare it your main place of residence for 6 months, to avoid that.

Another thing I am glad I have done is keep a UK "footprint". It means that after I rented out the house commercially I kept all bank accounts etc, but moved them to my Mum's address. Strictly speaking you should be a UK resident to have a bank account or use H-L or the peer to peer platforms etc. They don't really care so long as you have that UK address. Can't have an ISA, though, tax residents only, and HMRC track that directly. Same, annoyingly with a SIPP. I paid into it via the company I retained for the purpose, but once that became unviable, i could not pay into it personally, as I am non-resident. I think that is just stupid, but HMRC would catch me and give me a hard time. For saving for my old age...But it's a cheap win for them, easier than sorting out Google.

Anything else, let me know.

• Options
    ^
    funny you should mention curry. Some of the best I've had was in Calgary.

And my son loves Edmonton mall.
  • Options

jamescafc said:

jamescafc said:

Thanks for the offer.

Yes, they treat me more or less like a UK resident. The only difference I can think of being non-resident (i.e in UK less than 186 days per year) is that I pay no tax on dividends. Which is usually good for two beers a year at the Long Pond, in my case :-)

As I understand it, I could instead declare that all income will be taxed by the Czech authorities. It is a marginal call in my case, and of course both countries keep messing with their income tax rates. But if I am a UK taxpayer I can bang on with credibility about the Olympic Stadium to the American citizen who cooked up the scheme. And of course keep the high moral ground on CL political threads.

One disadvantage to watch is that if I would need to sell it, the proceeds would be subject to CGT, and since I bought it in 1985, that's a lot of CG. However I think you only have to come back and declare it your main place of residence for 6 months, to avoid that.

Another thing I am glad I have done is keep a UK "footprint". It means that after I rented out the house commercially I kept all bank accounts etc, but moved them to my Mum's address. Strictly speaking you should be a UK resident to have a bank account or use H-L or the peer to peer platforms etc. They don't really care so long as you have that UK address. Can't have an ISA, though, tax residents only, and HMRC track that directly. Same, annoyingly with a SIPP. I paid into it via the company I retained for the purpose, but once that became unviable, i could not pay into it personally, as I am non-resident. I think that is just stupid, but HMRC would catch me and give me a hard time. For saving for my old age...But it's a cheap win for them, easier than sorting out Google.

Anything else, let me know.

Interesting about the ISA. I hadn't accounted for that and have still been paying into my HL account.

I rent out a few properties so my income breaches the tax free barrier so I'm paying 20 odd percent on the balance. I had assumed that would entitle me to maintain my ISA?

• Options

What do you most enjoy/appreciate about living there?

Lots of things. For a start, both my wife and I earn at least double what we would have done for the same jobs in the U.K. That allows us to live a much better lifestyle, own a bigger house, actually save money every month and build a nest egg for us and our daughter's education. If we lived in the U.K. and had family in Canada, there is no way we could afford to visit Canada as frequently as we have been able to visit England. Even saving money, before we had any kids, was a struggle if we wanted any kind if life as well. Housing is also much more affordable.

Society here places a much higher value on someone's expertise and education and less on what social strata you grew up in. Important for both me and my wife as degree educated professionals. It's reflected in our salaries and general working conditions in our respective jobs.

We are both able to take much more satisfaction in our work. I do environmental consultancy work mostly for oil companies and despite their bad name, they want to do things properly. My wife's old Children Services department has recently been handed to another local authority to manage it, such is the mess it is in. Here she works in the busiest office in the province and her team has earnt praise for some recent achievements.

Edmonton is a large city of about 1 million people. Many major events come here and we are able to attend concerts etc. all within an easy 20 minute journey of our home in the inner suburbs. It's knicknamed the festival city and there are art and cultural events going almost constantly. There is something cool to do any weekend you have the time. Despite its size, the city retains a small town feel, people are incredibly friendly and traffic is remarkably light. It is perhaps helped in this by being a more blue collar town relative to its slightly more buttoned up cousin Calgary which houses many of the corporate HQs. If Alberta is Canada's Texas, then we are it's Austin.

Edmonton is also a growing city that is investing heavily in itself. The downtown core is being overhauled, with a new hockey arena recently built and many swanky new bars/restaurants opening, huge towers being built, and the light rail transit network is undergoing expansion. Through the middle of it all runs a huge expanse of urban parkland that follows the river and is really beautiful.

The growth in population brings people from all corners of Canada and the world. It's a really diverse place and that is something I think most people embrace rather than fear (see Justin Trudeau's election and his response to the Syrian refugee crisis as an example, albeit the libs didn't win many seats in AB). I think first generation immigrants often bring a can do attitude with them too and the province in general still has a bit of a frontier spirit. It's a youthful, optimistic place, whereas the U.K. feels so much like it has had all the stuffing knocked out if it.

Public services are better funded and people don't seem to object to them
    being funded in the way many in the U.K. do. This perception is perhaps helped by the relative lack of rabid self interested print media here. The British press is possibly the thing I am most glad to no longer live with.

Leave the city and the great outdoors is right there. Wide open, sparsely populated, space. Hours of sunshine and massive blue skies. And the Rocky Mountains within easy driving distance.
    I don't even mind the cold.

Lastly, and this is now my primary concern, it's a fantastic place to raise kids. Almost everywhere welcomes families and in both small and large ways does things to help accommodate them. There are playgrounds on what feels like nearly every corner. School playing fields are not fenced off but left open for everyone to use. We have museums and galleries. Sports centres and libraries are actually being built, not closed, and there is a world class university right in town.

Genuinely all I miss from home is family (Skype helps greatly with this), football (iFollow helps greatly with this) and a good British curry (I'm working on a solution to this).

Have you met the Morningwood Rovers boys, yet?