Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Addicks from overseas

1235»

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Been in Saudi 2 weeks!! Not sure how long I'll last!!

PS: Looking forward to trying the Camel Kofte I've got for dinner tomorrow though. Hope it's ok or I'll get the right hump.
  • Options

1) Now living mostly in Hong Kong and loving it. Originally came to support my wife's business.
    2) Born in Farnborough hospital (Kent of course) and grew up near Gravesend.
    3) Go much less now than in previous years when the family held season tickets but always a good excuse for a family reunion with sons, brother, nephews- been twice so far this season (Southend and Wigan)
    4) Boxing Day 2003 and Jason Euell side footing the fourth goal against Chelsea (spontaneous kissing and hugging breaking out in the north-east quadrant) or as a young kid being man-handled over the roof of the Valley turnstiles by my late Dad to avoid being crushed at a 1970s cup tie v West Ham (I think).

Going home (home) now makes me very grumpy and disillusioned. Feels like being an extra in a particularly depressing Samuel Becket play...wondered if other overseas Addicks felt the same?
  • Options
    1) Hong Kong. Growing up, I always knew I'd live abroad. I ended up here. It's an amazing city - the beach, the countryside and endless skyscrapers all within 20-minutes of each other.
    2) Lived in SE London (Woolwich, Plumstead, Welling) until I went to Uni in Brighton. I also lived in Cambodia for a few years.
    3) I haven't been for 3-4 years now, sadly.
    4) Big Chris in the last minute, with 10-men, away to Southampton.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

1) Now living mostly in Hong Kong and loving it. Originally came to support my wife's business.

Didn't know you'd moved here full time! Whereabouts are you living, @grumpyaddick?
  • Options

PS: Looking forward to trying the Camel Kofte I've got for dinner tomorrow though. Hope it's ok or I'll get the right hump.

What's it like over there? Not so good judging by your opening line.

I'm a little concerned that my next placement may be in the Middle East as the bank I work for have a strong presence there.

Incidentally I have met two local clients since arriving in Auckland and they were from Tunbridge Wells and Bexleyheath. A small world.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Oakster said:

1) Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Always fancied trying living abroad for a while. Imagined I'd end up in New Zealand, but when the firm I worked for in the UK bought a Canadian company and offered me a transfer here I took it - job waiting, moving/immigration costs paid for, was a no-brainer. 6.5 years later I've bought a house, had a Canadian baby, and have zero intention of ever moving back to the UK. Am now eligible to apply for citizenship so will probably be doing that soon.

2) Born in Greenwich hospital, lived in Blackheath until I was 3, then moved to Kidderminster in Worcestershire, stayed there until I was 29 then onto Alberta.

3) Have been to a couple of games minimum in every season since I left, except last season. Despite our attempts to stay away, family and friends keep getting married so we seem to end up back in the UK for a wedding or something most years. Last matches were home to Wigan and Bury so I haven't been much of a good luck charm this season.

4) Tough to pick one, 5th Dec '92, play-off final vs Sunderland, 4-2 away at Aston Villa '99 (game had everything and I grew up surrounded by Villa fans).

What do you most enjoy/appreciate about living there?

Lots of things. For a start, both my wife and I earn at least double what we would have done for the same jobs in the U.K. That allows us to live a much better lifestyle, own a bigger house, actually save money every month and build a nest egg for us and our daughter's education. If we lived in the U.K. and had family in Canada, there is no way we could afford to visit Canada as frequently as we have been able to visit England. Even saving money, before we had any kids, was a struggle if we wanted any kind if life as well. Housing is also much more affordable.

Society here places a much higher value on someone's expertise and education and less on what social strata you grew up in. Important for both me and my wife as degree educated professionals. It's reflected in our salaries and general working conditions in our respective jobs.

We are both able to take much more satisfaction in our work. I do environmental consultancy work mostly for oil companies and despite their bad name, they want to do things properly. My wife's old Children Services department has recently been handed to another local authority to manage it, such is the mess it is in. Here she works in the busiest office in the province and her team has earnt praise for some recent achievements.

Edmonton is a large city of about 1 million people. Many major events come here and we are able to attend concerts etc. all within an easy 20 minute journey of our home in the inner suburbs. It's knicknamed the festival city and there are art and cultural events going almost constantly. There is something cool to do any weekend you have the time. Despite its size, the city retains a small town feel, people are incredibly friendly and traffic is remarkably light. It is perhaps helped in this by being a more blue collar town relative to its slightly more buttoned up cousin Calgary which houses many of the corporate HQs. If Alberta is Canada's Texas, then we are it's Austin.

Edmonton is also a growing city that is investing heavily in itself. The downtown core is being overhauled, with a new hockey arena recently built and many swanky new bars/restaurants opening, huge towers being built, and the light rail transit network is undergoing expansion. Through the middle of it all runs a huge expanse of urban parkland that follows the river and is really beautiful.

The growth in population brings people from all corners of Canada and the world. It's a really diverse place and that is something I think most people embrace rather than fear (see Justin Trudeau's election and his response to the Syrian refugee crisis as an example, albeit the libs didn't win many seats in AB). I think first generation immigrants often bring a can do attitude with them too and the province in general still has a bit of a frontier spirit. It's a youthful, optimistic place, whereas the U.K. feels so much like it has had all the stuffing knocked out if it.

Public services are better funded and people don't seem to object to them
    being funded in the way many in the U.K. do. This perception is perhaps helped by the relative lack of rabid self interested print media here. The British press is possibly the thing I am most glad to no longer live with.

Leave the city and the great outdoors is right there. Wide open, sparsely populated, space. Hours of sunshine and massive blue skies. And the Rocky Mountains within easy driving distance.
    I don't even mind the cold.

Lastly, and this is now my primary concern, it's a fantastic place to raise kids. Almost everywhere welcomes families and in both small and large ways does things to help accommodate them. There are playgrounds on what feels like nearly every corner. School playing fields are not fenced off but left open for everyone to use. We have museums and galleries. Sports centres and libraries are actually being built, not closed, and there is a world class university right in town.

Genuinely all I miss from home is family (Skype helps greatly with this), football (iFollow helps greatly with this) and a good British curry (I'm working on a solution to this).

Next time you are in Canmore Exiled give me a shout - a restaurant here called The Spice Hut is as close to the British curry experience as I’ve had....
    I was in Canmore last weekend. The Mrs is less of a spice fiend than me so didn't fancy Spice Hut, although I did suggest it, so we ended up at the Brazilian restaurant (Gaucho?). Was very good, although not cheap.

There's an Indian restaurant in Cochrane run by a guy who used to own a restaurant in Bristol. He has a British Balti on the menu and that wasn't bad when I tried it. Sadly the 3 hr drive to Edmonton puts me outside his delivery zone.
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

Danepak said:

jamescafc said:

Danepak said:

jamescafc said:

Without wanting to turn this into a curry thread, I’ve got the same problem in the US.

Everything is dumbed down and generally to sweet. Mild, medium or hot is the question, and hot is never hot enough. But if you ask for extra hot they take it as a challenge to make it inedible.

Chinese is even worse, at least in Boston.

I hadn't expected it but there is a large Asian population in Auckland so the chinese and currys I've had so far have been pretty decent
    I'm not a huge fan of the curries in NZ, especially not if you compare them to the UK ones. Mind you, Paradise Curry in Sandringham is pretty decent, James.
    Apparently the Indian cricket team eats there, every time they play in Auckland.
    Sounds good, when you taking me?

:blush:
    Maybe after day 2 of the day/night test match at Eden Park (Black Caps v England next year).
    Sounds like a date to me! - are you gonna hold hands? Or see who can eat the most Phal and drink the most Steinlager before busting it to the bog?
    Didn't realise he had the cricket planned too. Now am I starting to worry :neutral:
    Any excuse to drink works. Not sure about the holding hands though. I hardly know you, James...
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Didn't know you'd moved here full time! Whereabouts are you living, @grumpyaddick?
    Enjoyed brickhouse so much I stayed.

I'm in Cheung Chau mate and love it.

Off to boo at the Hong Kong match tomorrow night with some mates if you fancy it.
  • Options

3) Go much less now than in previous years when the family held season tickets but always a good excuse for a family reunion with sons, brother, nephews- been twice so far this season (Southend and Wigan)
    4) Boxing Day 2003 and Jason Euell side footing the fourth goal against Chelsea (spontaneous kissing and hugging breaking out in the north-east quadrant) or as a young kid being man-handled over the roof of the Valley turnstiles by my late Dad to avoid being crushed at a 1970s cup tie v West Ham (I think).

Going home (home) now makes me very grumpy and disillusioned. Feels like being an extra in a particularly depressing Samuel Becket play...wondered if other overseas Addicks felt the same?

Yep... moving back to the uk after years in China has seen me transition from a society on the up, where people have increasingly good living standards, employment prospects, and access to more and better quality services and facilities, to one where all of the above are in decline.

I feel like I’ve slipped from a world of optimism into a world of pessimism.
    Know exactly what you mean Siv.

UK is depressing enough but Norfolk must make you suicidal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    jamescafc said:

What's it like over there? Not so good judging by your opening line.

I'm a little concerned that my next placement may be in the Middle East as the bank I work for have a strong presence there.

Incidentally I have met two local clients since arriving in Auckland and they were from Tunbridge Wells and Bexleyheath. A small world.
    Oh it's ok mate, not that bad at all. Was last here 21 years ago with RAF and it's moved on massively. Crown Prince very progressive and keen on modernisation seemingly. When the Yemeni missile was 'taken out' just over a week ago that made the place rock (I am very near the airport) but no major issues.

When out and about in Riyadh and when working with the Saudis you just need to be culturally aware, that's all, and play the game. Driving is utterly chaotic, you really need to see it to believe it, but you just adapt.

• Options
    edited November 2017

1) Luxembourg, now updated to France and I have become self-employed!
    2) Blackheath.
    3) 2 - 3 times.
    4) Play-off final at Wembley.

• Options

Yep... moving back to the uk after years in China has seen me transition from a society on the up, where people have increasingly good living standards, employment prospects, and access to more and better quality services and facilities, to one where all of the above are in decline.

It does feel like a place in decline, and I have been shocked to come face to face this year with the near breaking point the NHS is working at, not to mention the elderly care system.

BUT...there is still one thing that I notice when returning home which is positive. In a shop, in the street, even in an encounter with a policeman, you are more likely to get a smile and a friendly word from a stranger than in any other place in Europe I can think of. The Czech "public face" is particularly dour, and that's true all the way from here to Moscow.

Bill Bryson wrote that if you observe two British strangers who strike up a conversation, they will very quickly smile at each other; he wrote too that he didn't find that phenomenon anywhere else in Europe. Europeans I know who spend time in the UK pick this up, and admire the UK sense of humour which is on public display. You'd never get those witty handwritten messages on the Underground, on the Paris metro, or anywhere else.

I hope I described that effectively, because it's a really important British characteristic which I never knew of 'til I moved away.

The flip side of that is the random violent aggression, but that has always been there too. Again I only realised it when I moved out here and found it completely absent.

Must admit, its the aggression that always hits me when i (rarely) come back - i've no real wish to return tbh.
  • Options

It does feel like a place in decline, and I have been shocked to come face to face this year with the near breaking point the NHS is working at, not to mention the elderly care system.

BUT...there is still one thing that I notice when returning home which is positive. In a shop, in the street, even in an encounter with a policeman, you are more likely to get a smile and a friendly word from a stranger than in any other place in Europe I can think of. The Czech "public face" is particularly dour, and that's true all the way from here to Moscow.

Bill Bryson wrote that if you observe two British strangers who strike up a conversation, they will very quickly smile at each other; he wrote too that he didn't find that phenomenon anywhere else in Europe. Europeans I know who spend time in the UK pick this up, and admire the UK sense of humour which is on public display. You'd never get those witty handwritten messages on the Underground, on the Paris metro, or anywhere else.

I hope I described that effectively, because it's a really important British characteristic which I never knew of 'til I moved away.

The flip side of that is the random violent aggression, but that has always been there too. Again I only realised it when I moved out here and found it completely absent.

Must admit, its the aggression that always hits me when i (rarely) come back - i've no real wish to return tbh.
    I hear this from most of the expats I speak to here in NZ. Worries me I may be saying the same in a few months time
  • Options
    Aggression from people behind the wheels of cars is completely out of control too.
  • Options

Aggression from people behind the wheels of cars is completely out of control too.

Hmm, not sure I agree on that. I do agree that it has got worse in some ways, particularly overtaking on the inside on motorways and similar. My brother blames all bad driving on Nigerians ( if the window is blacked out) or East Europeans if he can see the driver is Caucasian. My brother expresses opinions which are routinely ludicrous, but in this case I think he is on to something, as overtaking on the inside is still legal in some countries, especially the CEE countries. Does my head in. I am slowly preparing a one man war against the Prague Airport taxi mafia, who with the exception of one company, are all aggressive twats who think driving a taxi gives them the same rights as a ambulance with flashing lights has.
  • Options

Hong Kong is so different from the mainland :expressionless:
  • Options
    If people are overtaking in the inside lane it means the idiot hogging the middle lane should be there instead.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

If people are overtaking in the inside lane it means the idiot hogging the middle lane should be there instead.

Not necessarily, must admit 'undertaking' is one of my pet hates. If you doing 70 in the middle lane,looking to move to overtakeon the outside lane then someone shouldnt be undertaking you on the inside full stop.I see so many drivers just weave in and out of the lanes into whichever is empty. What i try to do is if i spot them coming, i'll deliberately move into the inside lane and drop my speed a little.
    As Prague says, its not illegal in most European countries to do it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    But I guess "aggressive" driving is a relative term.

Here's how we do "aggressive" in the Czech Republic...
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Chunes said:

Enjoyed brickhouse so much I stayed.

I'm in Cheung Chau mate and love it.

Off to boo at the Hong Kong match tomorrow night with some mates if you fancy it.
    Wish I saw that earlier, I might have made it. I hope you escaped arrest!

Cheung Chau, lovely. Giant fish balls for breakfast is it?

I'm in Heng Fa Chuen myself and working in Tai Koo (no longer a chef) so very convenient.

Let's grab a beer sometime.
  • Options
    As I am now back in Cape Town, its time to resurrect this thread to see if we have any movements or new overseas Addicks.
  • Options
    As I am now back in Cape Town, its time to resurrect this thread to see if we have any movements or new overseas Addicks.
    As you are now back in Cape Town, I hope your awful problems are now behind you.
    I remember reading your posts and feeling very sorry for you.
    Good luck President.
  • Options
    As you are now back in Cape Town, I hope your awful problems are now behind you.
    I remember reading your posts and feeling very sorry for you.
    Good luck President.
    Thank you very much John, I really appreciate that.
  • Options
    Here's how we do "aggressive" in the Czech Republic...
    Nothing wrong with that. Shoulder to shoulder. We don't want all the physical contact taken out of driving. It's a man's sport.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    1) Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic. Arrived twelve years ago after spending four holidays here, the last for four months as a trial run. Here for the weather and the women, but mainly the latter. I am 79 with a very pretty 20 year-old girlfriend who is low maintenance.

2) Weybridge, Surrey. Grew up in a family of Chelsea supporters. We had a munitions worker from Burnley billeted on us during the post-war years. He used to tease me and when it got to the 1947 Final I swore that if Charlton won I would support them the rest of my life. In 1966 I got married. My bride found a flat on the Blackheath/Lewisham border. She could not understand why I was so keen to move there. She came from a Palace family but was soon accompanying me to matches, home and away, including reserves.

3) Have never returned to UK since I emigrated and never will. Too expensive.

4) Any wins over Palace to irk my brother-in-law. 2-0 Cup win at Selhurst Park. I think Treacy scored both?