Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Addicks from overseas

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2017
    jamescafc said:

jamescafc said:

jamescafc said:

Anyone working overseas and still own UK property?

Just wondering on the tax implications on this.

Still own my house. Rented out. Pay UK income tax on it, but could elect to pay all income tax here to the Czech system if I wanted to (double taxation treaty) What would you like to know?

If you want an "offshore' solution there are other Lifers who can better help you :-)

Thanks for the offer.

Do you still get your tax free income allowance and then just pay 20% on the remainder or is it a completely different system for expats?

Yes, they treat me more or less like a UK resident. The only difference I can think of being non-resident (i.e in UK less than 186 days per year) is that I pay no tax on dividends. Which is usually good for two beers a year at the Long Pond, in my case :-)

As I understand it, I could instead declare that all income will be taxed by the Czech authorities. It is a marginal call in my case, and of course both countries keep messing with their income tax rates. But if I am a UK taxpayer I can bang on with credibility about the Olympic Stadium to the American citizen who cooked up the scheme. And of course keep the high moral ground on CL political threads.

One disadvantage to watch is that if I would need to sell it, the proceeds would be subject to CGT, and since I bought it in 1985, that's a lot of CG. However I think you only have to come back and declare it your main place of residence for 6 months, to avoid that.

Another thing I am glad I have done is keep a UK "footprint". It means that after I rented out the house commercially I kept all bank accounts etc, but moved them to my Mum's address. Strictly speaking you should be a UK resident to have a bank account or use H-L or the peer to peer platforms etc. They don't really care so long as you have that UK address. Can't have an ISA, though, tax residents only, and HMRC track that directly. Same, annoyingly with a SIPP. I paid into it via the company I retained for the purpose, but once that became unviable, i could not pay into it personally, as I am non-resident. I think that is just stupid, but HMRC would catch me and give me a hard time. For saving for my old age...But it's a cheap win for them, easier than sorting out Google.

Anything else, let me know.

Interesting about the ISA. I hadn't accounted for that and have still been paying into my HL account.

I rent out a few properties so my income breaches the tax free barrier so I'm paying 20 odd percent on the balance. I had assumed that would entitle me to maintain my ISA?

I don't think so. It's about being a tax resident. when did you become tax non-resident?

ISAs are no big deal anyway. If you are non-resident I would just gently ease your way out of it. If you have a UK bank account, H-L won't care if you are living on the moon.

• Options
    1 Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    2 Dulwich / Herne Hill
    3 Rarely, got to Millwall and MK Dons away last Christmas,
    4 Wembley, First Game back and the 4-2 win at Villa in 1999
  • Options

jamescafc said:

jamescafc said:

jamescafc said:

Anyone working overseas and still own UK property?

Just wondering on the tax implications on this.

Still own my house. Rented out. Pay UK income tax on it, but could elect to pay all income tax here to the Czech system if I wanted to (double taxation treaty) What would you like to know?

If you want an "offshore' solution there are other Lifers who can better help you :-)

Thanks for the offer.

Do you still get your tax free income allowance and then just pay 20% on the remainder or is it a completely different system for expats?

Yes, they treat me more or less like a UK resident. The only difference I can think of being non-resident (i.e in UK less than 186 days per year) is that I pay no tax on dividends. Which is usually good for two beers a year at the Long Pond, in my case :-)

As I understand it, I could instead declare that all income will be taxed by the Czech authorities. It is a marginal call in my case, and of course both countries keep messing with their income tax rates. But if I am a UK taxpayer I can bang on with credibility about the Olympic Stadium to the American citizen who cooked up the scheme. And of course keep the high moral ground on CL political threads.

One disadvantage to watch is that if I would need to sell it, the proceeds would be subject to CGT, and since I bought it in 1985, that's a lot of CG. However I think you only have to come back and declare it your main place of residence for 6 months, to avoid that.

Another thing I am glad I have done is keep a UK "footprint". It means that after I rented out the house commercially I kept all bank accounts etc, but moved them to my Mum's address. Strictly speaking you should be a UK resident to have a bank account or use H-L or the peer to peer platforms etc. They don't really care so long as you have that UK address. Can't have an ISA, though, tax residents only, and HMRC track that directly. Same, annoyingly with a SIPP. I paid into it via the company I retained for the purpose, but once that became unviable, i could not pay into it personally, as I am non-resident. I think that is just stupid, but HMRC would catch me and give me a hard time. For saving for my old age...But it's a cheap win for them, easier than sorting out Google.

Anything else, let me know.

Interesting about the ISA. I hadn't accounted for that and have still been paying into my HL account.

I rent out a few properties so my income breaches the tax free barrier so I'm paying 20 odd percent on the balance. I had assumed that would entitle me to maintain my ISA?

I don't think so. It's about being a tax resident. when did you become tax non-resident?

ISAs are no big deal anyway. If you are non-resident I would just gently ease your way out of it. If you have a UK bank account, H-L won't care if you are living on the moon.

Moved to NZ in September although my final salary payment into my UK account will be March 18. I guess for the purposes of my ISA, that's irrelevant anyone if I'm not longer deemed a UK resident
  • Options

^
    funny you should mention curry. Some of the best I've had was in Calgary.

And my son loves Edmonton mall.

I've had some good curries out here, they're just different to a British curry. I miss them but not enough to move home for!

Have you met the Morningwood Rovers boys, yet?

Yeah I've met Danny a couple of times and been to see FC Edmonton play with a bunch of them.

• Options
    Without wanting to turn this into a curry thread, I’ve got the same problem in the US.

Everything is dumbed down and generally to sweet. Mild, medium or hot is the question, and hot is never hot enough. But if you ask for extra hot they take it as a challenge to make it inedible.

Chinese is even worse, at least in Boston.
  • Options

Without wanting to turn this into a curry thread, I’ve got the same problem in the US.

Everything is dumbed down and generally to sweet. Mild, medium or hot is the question, and hot is never hot enough. But if you ask for extra hot they take it as a challenge to make it inedible.

I hadn't expected it but there is a large Asian population in Auckland so the chinese and currys I've had so far have been pretty decent
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

I hadn't expected it but there is a large Asian population in Auckland so the chinese and currys I've had so far have been pretty decent
    I'm not a huge fan of the curries in NZ, especially not if you compare them to the UK ones. Mind you, Paradise Curry in Sandringham is pretty decent, James.
    Apparently the Indian cricket team eats there, every time they play in Auckland.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I miss good curry so much, to the point that I almost took a trip to India last year!

Shockingly the Chinese food here is amazing :p
  • Options
    edited November 2017
  • Options

I had a really good one in a restaurant on Amsterdam Ave in NYC. Bit of a drive just for a curry though, even from Boston.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Isnt there a curry thread ?? :)
    Curries here in Lux are very poor - for some reason, all owned by Nepalese. However, best curry i've ever had anywhere was in Geneva at the Kiran .
  • Options

Isnt there a curry thread ?? :)
    Curries here in Lux are very poor - for some reason, all owned by Nepalese. However, best curry i've ever had anywhere was in Geneva at the Kiran .

Curry thread? I think there should be.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Danepak said:

jamescafc said:

I'm not a huge fan of the curries in NZ, especially not if you compare them to the UK ones. Mind you, Paradise Curry in Sandringham is pretty decent, James.
    Apparently the Indian cricket team eats there, every time they play in Auckland.
    Sounds good, when you taking me?

:blush:
  • Options
    Living in France originally from Chislehurst. Only get over very rarely now but follow on whatever media I can find. Back to the Valley match. I only miss is going to see CAFC ( and Cheddar Cheese, decent curry, decent pint of Guinness in an English boozer, the chippy in Floyd Road) Regarding the curry discussion the French equivalent is a mild Korma, nothing stronger and they struggle with that!
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

Danepak said:

jamescafc said:

Maybe after day 2 of the day/night test match at Eden Park (Black Caps v England next year).
  • Options
    Danepak said:

jamescafc said:

Danepak said:

jamescafc said:

Maybe after day 2 of the day/night test match at Eden Park (Black Caps v England next year).
    Sounds like a date to me! - are you gonna hold hands? Or see who can eat the most Phal and drink the most Steinlager before busting it to the bog?
  • Options
    Didn't realise Scotland counted as overseas but seems it does from the original rules, so here goes:

1. Glasgow. Met and married a N Irish man who didn't want to live in London so this was our compromise (I'm half Scottish). We've also had a couple of years in Nairobi and then Amsterdam along the way.
    2. Belvedere
    3. Had season tickets until third Champ season after relegation. Usually manage 4-6 at home and 2-4 away.
    4. Beyond the obvious ones, my first really big match was the 3-1win over Preston to get promoted from 3rd to 2nd division back in mid 70s.
  • Options
    Franschhoek near Cape Town. Own a guest house, with my ZA wife. The Coach House. Been here for 12 years. Been a Charlton supporter since 1968, get home to see 3/4 games a year.
  • Options

Franschhoek near Cape Town. Own a guest house, with my ZA wife. The Coach House. Been here for 12 years. Been a Charlton supporter since 1968, get home to see 3/4 games a year.

Charlie, you near the Huguenot memorial?
  • Options

1) Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Always fancied trying living abroad for a while. Imagined I'd end up in New Zealand, but when the firm I worked for in the UK bought a Canadian company and offered me a transfer here I took it - job waiting, moving/immigration costs paid for, was a no-brainer. 6.5 years later I've bought a house, had a Canadian baby, and have zero intention of ever moving back to the UK. Am now eligible to apply for citizenship so will probably be doing that soon.

2) Born in Greenwich hospital, lived in Blackheath until I was 3, then moved to Kidderminster in Worcestershire, stayed there until I was 29 then onto Alberta.

3) Have been to a couple of games minimum in every season since I left, except last season. Despite our attempts to stay away, family and friends keep getting married so we seem to end up back in the UK for a wedding or something most years. Last matches were home to Wigan and Bury so I haven't been much of a good luck charm this season.

4) Tough to pick one, 5th Dec '92, play-off final vs Sunderland, 4-2 away at Aston Villa '99 (game had everything and I grew up surrounded by Villa fans).

What do you most enjoy/appreciate about living there?

Lots of things. For a start, both my wife and I earn at least double what we would have done for the same jobs in the U.K. That allows us to live a much better lifestyle, own a bigger house, actually save money every month and build a nest egg for us and our daughter's education. If we lived in the U.K. and had family in Canada, there is no way we could afford to visit Canada as frequently as we have been able to visit England. Even saving money, before we had any kids, was a struggle if we wanted any kind if life as well. Housing is also much more affordable.

Society here places a much higher value on someone's expertise and education and less on what social strata you grew up in. Important for both me and my wife as degree educated professionals. It's reflected in our salaries and general working conditions in our respective jobs.

We are both able to take much more satisfaction in our work. I do environmental consultancy work mostly for oil companies and despite their bad name, they want to do things properly. My wife's old Children Services department has recently been handed to another local authority to manage it, such is the mess it is in. Here she works in the busiest office in the province and her team has earnt praise for some recent achievements.

Edmonton is a large city of about 1 million people. Many major events come here and we are able to attend concerts etc. all within an easy 20 minute journey of our home in the inner suburbs. It's knicknamed the festival city and there are art and cultural events going almost constantly. There is something cool to do any weekend you have the time. Despite its size, the city retains a small town feel, people are incredibly friendly and traffic is remarkably light. It is perhaps helped in this by being a more blue collar town relative to its slightly more buttoned up cousin Calgary which houses many of the corporate HQs. If Alberta is Canada's Texas, then we are it's Austin.

Edmonton is also a growing city that is investing heavily in itself. The downtown core is being overhauled, with a new hockey arena recently built and many swanky new bars/restaurants opening, huge towers being built, and the light rail transit network is undergoing expansion. Through the middle of it all runs a huge expanse of urban parkland that follows the river and is really beautiful.

The growth in population brings people from all corners of Canada and the world. It's a really diverse place and that is something I think most people embrace rather than fear (see Justin Trudeau's election and his response to the Syrian refugee crisis as an example, albeit the libs didn't win many seats in AB). I think first generation immigrants often bring a can do attitude with them too and the province in general still has a bit of a frontier spirit. It's a youthful, optimistic place, whereas the U.K. feels so much like it has had all the stuffing knocked out if it.

Public services are better funded and people don't seem to object to them
    being funded in the way many in the U.K. do. This perception is perhaps helped by the relative lack of rabid self interested print media here. The British press is possibly the thing I am most glad to no longer live with.

Leave the city and the great outdoors is right there. Wide open, sparsely populated, space. Hours of sunshine and massive blue skies. And the Rocky Mountains within easy driving distance.
    I don't even mind the cold.

Lastly, and this is now my primary concern, it's a fantastic place to raise kids. Almost everywhere welcomes families and in both small and large ways does things to help accommodate them. There are playgrounds on what feels like nearly every corner. School playing fields are not fenced off but left open for everyone to use. We have museums and galleries. Sports centres and libraries are actually being built, not closed, and there is a world class university right in town.

Genuinely all I miss from home is family (Skype helps greatly with this), football (iFollow helps greatly with this) and a good British curry (I'm working on a solution to this).

How wonderful to hear that you are so happy there Exiled. Good on yer! :smiley:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Danepak said:

jamescafc said:

Danepak said:

jamescafc said:

Sounds like a date to me! - are you gonna hold hands? Or see who can eat the most Phal and drink the most Steinlager before busting it to the bog?
    Didn't realise he had the cricket planned too. Now am I starting to worry :neutral:
  • Options
    Yeah, about 100 yards from the Huguenot Monument 5 Dirkie Uys street. The coach house
  • Options

Yeah, about 100 yards from the Huguenot Monument 5 Dirkie Uys street. The coach house

Charlie, there are a couple of us with CT connections - my kids live in Bergvliet, and i will be visiting at Xmas time, and @addickfanatic is in Claremont, and we sometmes meet up for a beer. Next time we do it (prob next month) maybe come and join us?
  • Options
    I don’t suppose moving across the Thames from SE London to NW London is part of this clique?
  • Options
    Hi, yes my email is info@thecoachhouse.co.za and let me know when we can meet up. The only person I can talk to about Charlton, (when they play good or bad) is my wife and she's not really all that interested. would be nice to meet up.
  • Options

Yes that's largely my experience in the states as well. There are a couple quite good Indian places near my parents' in LA. Wouldn't put them at British level, but still good. But yeah overall it's difficult to find anything halfway decent.
  • Options
    I'm in Baltimore County Cork Ireland.
    Dreamt of owning a goat farm so when Hubby retired it seemed the right time to find it. Never dreamed it would be in the country my parents originally fled through lack of opportunity.
    Had a s/t since 18 but my leaving coincided with the realisation that our current owners couldn't give a Fanny about us, so I haven't set foot in the Valley since October 2014 & I won't be back until they are gone.
    Greatest Charlton memory? That crisp December day when we came home and Colin Walsh made all our dreams come true.
  • Options

Hi, yes my email is info@thecoachhouse.co.za and let me know when we can meet up. The only person I can talk to about Charlton, (when they play good or bad) is my wife and she's not really all that interested. would be nice to meet up.

Sound looks a good plan looking forward to meeting up next month
  • Options

1) Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Always fancied trying living abroad for a while. Imagined I'd end up in New Zealand, but when the firm I worked for in the UK bought a Canadian company and offered me a transfer here I took it - job waiting, moving/immigration costs paid for, was a no-brainer. 6.5 years later I've bought a house, had a Canadian baby, and have zero intention of ever moving back to the UK. Am now eligible to apply for citizenship so will probably be doing that soon.

2) Born in Greenwich hospital, lived in Blackheath until I was 3, then moved to Kidderminster in Worcestershire, stayed there until I was 29 then onto Alberta.

3) Have been to a couple of games minimum in every season since I left, except last season. Despite our attempts to stay away, family and friends keep getting married so we seem to end up back in the UK for a wedding or something most years. Last matches were home to Wigan and Bury so I haven't been much of a good luck charm this season.

4) Tough to pick one, 5th Dec '92, play-off final vs Sunderland, 4-2 away at Aston Villa '99 (game had everything and I grew up surrounded by Villa fans).

What do you most enjoy/appreciate about living there?

Lots of things. For a start, both my wife and I earn at least double what we would have done for the same jobs in the U.K. That allows us to live a much better lifestyle, own a bigger house, actually save money every month and build a nest egg for us and our daughter's education. If we lived in the U.K. and had family in Canada, there is no way we could afford to visit Canada as frequently as we have been able to visit England. Even saving money, before we had any kids, was a struggle if we wanted any kind if life as well. Housing is also much more affordable.

Society here places a much higher value on someone's expertise and education and less on what social strata you grew up in. Important for both me and my wife as degree educated professionals. It's reflected in our salaries and general working conditions in our respective jobs.

We are both able to take much more satisfaction in our work. I do environmental consultancy work mostly for oil companies and despite their bad name, they want to do things properly. My wife's old Children Services department has recently been handed to another local authority to manage it, such is the mess it is in. Here she works in the busiest office in the province and her team has earnt praise for some recent achievements.

Edmonton is a large city of about 1 million people. Many major events come here and we are able to attend concerts etc. all within an easy 20 minute journey of our home in the inner suburbs. It's knicknamed the festival city and there are art and cultural events going almost constantly. There is something cool to do any weekend you have the time. Despite its size, the city retains a small town feel, people are incredibly friendly and traffic is remarkably light. It is perhaps helped in this by being a more blue collar town relative to its slightly more buttoned up cousin Calgary which houses many of the corporate HQs. If Alberta is Canada's Texas, then we are it's Austin.

Edmonton is also a growing city that is investing heavily in itself. The downtown core is being overhauled, with a new hockey arena recently built and many swanky new bars/restaurants opening, huge towers being built, and the light rail transit network is undergoing expansion. Through the middle of it all runs a huge expanse of urban parkland that follows the river and is really beautiful.

The growth in population brings people from all corners of Canada and the world. It's a really diverse place and that is something I think most people embrace rather than fear (see Justin Trudeau's election and his response to the Syrian refugee crisis as an example, albeit the libs didn't win many seats in AB). I think first generation immigrants often bring a can do attitude with them too and the province in general still has a bit of a frontier spirit. It's a youthful, optimistic place, whereas the U.K. feels so much like it has had all the stuffing knocked out if it.

Public services are better funded and people don't seem to object to them
    being funded in the way many in the U.K. do. This perception is perhaps helped by the relative lack of rabid self interested print media here. The British press is possibly the thing I am most glad to no longer live with.

Leave the city and the great outdoors is right there. Wide open, sparsely populated, space. Hours of sunshine and massive blue skies. And the Rocky Mountains within easy driving distance.
    I don't even mind the cold.

Lastly, and this is now my primary concern, it's a fantastic place to raise kids. Almost everywhere welcomes families and in both small and large ways does things to help accommodate them. There are playgrounds on what feels like nearly every corner. School playing fields are not fenced off but left open for everyone to use. We have museums and galleries. Sports centres and libraries are actually being built, not closed, and there is a world class university right in town.

Genuinely all I miss from home is family (Skype helps greatly with this), football (iFollow helps greatly with this) and a good British curry (I'm working on a solution to this).

Next time you are in Canmore Exiled give me a shout - a restaurant here called The Spice Hut is as close to the British curry experience as I’ve had....
  • Options

^
    funny you should mention curry. Some of the best I've had was in Calgary.

And my son loves Edmonton mall.

I've had some good curries out here, they're just different to a British curry. I miss them but not enough to move home for!

Have you met the Morningwood Rovers boys, yet?

Yeah I've met Danny a couple of times and been to see FC Edmonton play with a bunch of them.

I actually asked them if Morningwood was a suburb of Edmonton :/