Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lowest league position we can finish

13»

Comments

• Options
    I can't edit but Wednesday & Huddersfield can't both get 95 of course.
  • Options
    Aren't we on 82?
  • Options
    good point Len .... I'd correct if I could edit!
    So 13 points for mathematical certainty.
    3 wins and 2 draws to be 99% sure.
  • Options
    6 x 6 is 36.
  • Options
    6 more points gives us a total that no 3rd team place has reached in the last 15 years in L1.

Sheff W and Huddersfield both have tougher run ins than us or Sheff U
  • Options
    I have no idea how or why this thread even exists.

We were never going to be finishing 23rd in February or 7th in March or whatever. I know it's a discussion board, but why even bother when the realistic chances are practically zero?!
  • Options
    6 x 6 is 36.
  • Options
    as i ,may have said before ...no wonder Millwall call us anoraks !!!

i have developed a very bad headache reading this thread and will be forced to hibernate until 6th may ...wish me sweet dreams
  • Options
    6 more points gives us a total that no 3rd team place has reached in the last 15 years in L1.

Sheff W and Huddersfield both have tougher run ins than us or Sheff U
    Problem is that how many times before have the teams in 3rd and 4th sacked their managers this late in the season? Both are on fairly decent runs so I would say breaking that 'record' is possible
  • Options
    I have no idea how or why this thread even exists.

We were never going to be finishing 23rd in February or 7th in March or whatever. I know it's a discussion board, but why even bother when the realistic chances are practically zero?!
    I started it because I thought it interesting, in a successful season, to see when we actually achieved certain milestones.

Avoiding relegation by the end of February for example.

It's also a bit of fun for sad old gits like me...

• Sponsored links:

• Options
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Trust me, it's right.

Assume that Carlisle and Stevenage both win all of their remaining games apart from when they play each other. The teams above can be taken out of the play-off equation, because even if they lose to Carlisle/Stevenage they will still be ahead of them so don't factor into the fight for 6th place.

This would give Carlisle 84pts and Stevenage 83pts.

Then consider the three possible outcomes of the Carlisle v Stevenage game, and you have the following:-

Carlisle win: Carlisle 87, Stevenage 83
    Draw: Carlisle 85, Stevenage 84
    Stevenage win: Carlisle 84, Stevenage 86

So the highest possible points total for 7th place is 84. Therefore, to guarantee 6th place we need 85 pts, so one more win will do it.

All this is irrelevant, of course, because we are going to win the league :-)

After today's results, Carlisle's maximum points potential now is 85, Stevenage 84

So adapting Jodaius' calculation above because they have to still play each other:

Carlisle win: Carlisle 85, Stevenage 81
    Draw: Carlisle 83, Stevenage 82
    Stevenage win: Carlisle 82, Stevenage 84

So the highest possible points total for 7th place is now 82 points.
    With our vastly superior goal difference, the lowest we can now finish is 6th

• Options
    Mathematically 6th but Carlisle and MK Dons can only get 85 points each so tentatively I'll say 4th at the end of March.
  • Options
    Mathematically 6th but Carlisle and MK Dons can only get 85 points each so tentatively I'll say 4th at the end of March.
    Woooooaahhhhhhh - steady there Leonard - that's bordering on optimistic!
    ;o)
  • Options
    3rd
  • Options
    2nd

;o)
  • Options
    :-)
  • Options
    Beat me to it OGGY!

Isn't it great?

Let's hope Carlisle get come up through the play-offs so we can get promoted again next year!

:-)
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Sorry, Len.

I'll let you do the last one, next week?

;o)
  • Options
    1st!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yesssssssssss