Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Derek Hales.....

edited October 2010 in General Charlton
Was anybody on here present when he chinned that Flanagan bloke? And what was it about? He looked like quite a hard character did that Derek Hales - what was he like, apart from being a prolific goalscorer?

Comments

• Options
    loved playing at the den...........
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Tarn[/cite]Was anybody on here present when he chinned that Flanagan bloke? And what was it about? He looked like quite a hard character did that Derek Hales - what was he like, apart from being a prolific goalscorer?

Might have been some extra marital activities going on........
  • Options
    Maidstone in the cup.

I think Mr Flanagan questioned Mr Hales decision not to run onto a through ball he made.

With the added suggestion that it wasn't the only ball Mr Hales missed out on.
  • Options
    I was there, good/bad publicity for CAFC depending on your POV.
    If you had to describe the Charlton ethos in one word then KILLER!!!
    He is my all time favourite player. If only he bothered training he could have gone all the way to the top, broke my heart when we sold him!!
    Anyone remember The Sun (I think) offering the money to any player scoring 35 goals in a season.
    Flanagan had shit hair so deserved a smack ;o)
  • Options
    Hard as nails, brave as a lion. God help any opposition player who hurt Paddy Powell. Enjoyed a drink before kick off.................or so legend has it.
  • Options
    I was at The Valley for that Maidstone cup match.

Score was 1-1 against non-League opposition (say nothing ....!), when all hell broke loose between Flanagan and Hales as they took swipes at each other.

Then the referee sent them both off.
  • Options
    Dont think the game was at the Valley and the floodlights broke and the game was delayed?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kevtherev[/cite]Dont think the game was at the Valley and the floodlights broke and the game was delayed?

That was the replay.

It was 0-1 and down to 9 men at the valley,and I was wondering whether we would go out to a non league team for the first time. Thankfully we got an equalizer and won the replay.
  • Options
    ooops! sorry I stand corrected too many red wines I think.
  • Options
    I was there, shock and awe, but can't say it was a surprise, Flash was really put out when Killer returned.
    Killer one of my all time favourites too.
    I think it might have been the Express offering money for 30 goals, Killer ended up 2 short? Stand to be corrected.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Spot on, it was the Express and he finished on 28.

Somehow it was totally Charlton that our two best players ended up slugging each other; Flanagan had a bit of a go in the press when Killer re-signed for us, I think Halesey favoured a more hands on approach to settling disputes...
  • Options
    Killer got sent off 5 or 6 times for Charlton and all for proper old-fashioned offences, none of this namby-pamby second yellow for kicking the ball away bollocks.
  • Options
    I was at the game. Couldn't believe what I was seeing when it happened but, as a schoolboy at the time, remember being slightly bemused by the fact that they could be sent off for fighting each other - the opposition yes but surely not each other!
  • Options
    I remember Aln Ball slagging Killer in the press. And in true killer style a premeditated two footed drop kick followed and although A.Ball avoided being decapitated killer was off with a red. Also after being kicked from pillar to post by Tony Towner of Sunderland a proper fist fight ttok place and the Ref had to get killer back on the pitch to send him off.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Seem to remember Flanagan refused to play for Charlton again while Halesy was in the team - and went painting & decorating with his Dad's business.

The dispute dragged on until Flash was eventually sold to Cripple Paralysis for £650,000.

Of course, several seasons later Flanagan rejoined Charlton, and played alongside Killer again for a season or so.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    For me it was the beginning of the end. I had been a ardent supporter home and away since 1969 but after 10 years I was getting a little bored with it all. I had gotten older and being in my late teens had found different interests. That night against Maidstone I suddenly thought 'This is ridiculous. Two of our own players fighting each other.What the hell am I doing this for?'. Over the next few years my visits to the Valley tailed off until that fateful day when we moved out. Football really didn't have much to offer anymore and I even started playing golf on Saturdays. I certainly had no intention of going to Selhurst.
    The Damascus moment came in 1992 when I was sent by Thames News to cover the story of Charlton's first match back at the Valley. And the old love affair was rekindled. For those who feel times are bad now don't give up hope, but accept that we are now an average team in a lower division. Lower your expectations and get behind the team and support them even whan they're playing badly. Hopefully the good times will come back.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charltonkeston[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: kevtherev[/cite]Dont think the game was at the Valley and the floodlights broke and the game was delayed?

That was the replay.

It was 0-1 and down to 9 men at the valley,and I was wondering whether we would go out to a non league team for the first time. Thankfully we got an equalizer and won the replay.

Think it was 1-1 at the time but anyway a jaw-dropping incident and seem to remember the media had a field day over it.

Killer was an awesome finisher, quick over a short distance and very brave. One goal that sticks in my mind was against Fulham in our cup run of 80/81 - brilliant finish as I recall.
    For me Flanagan was a better footballer, though never as popular with the fans. Particularly remember his hat-tricks against Chelsea and Spurs.
  • Options
    I remember that goal at Fulham.Yes great turn and finish.If Im not mistaken didnt he get two that day at the Cottage?
    My best memory of Hales is the last match of the season 82 or 83 against Bolton at the Valley.We needed a draw to stay up.Bolton had to win and we would be in division 3.I think
    Allardayce was their captain.First half we were one down.Everyone feared the worst.Great second half.We won 4 1.Im sure Halesy got a hat trick.Bolton relegated.
    Flannagan was class but Hales was dynamite in the penalty area.
    Remember Flanagans last minute equaliser 3rd round Facup early 80s.Great Charlton support that day.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Paul Walsh 79[/cite]I remember that goal at Fulham.Yes great turn and finish.If Im not mistaken didnt he get two that day at the Cottage?
    My best memory of Hales is the last match of the season 82 or 83 against Bolton at the Valley.We needed a draw to stay up.Bolton had to win and we would be in division 3.I think
    Allardayce was their captain.First half we were one down.Everyone feared the worst.Great second half.We won 4 1.Im sure Halesy got a hat trick.Bolton relegated.
    Flannagan was class but Hales was dynamite in the penalty area.
    Remember Flanagans last minute equaliser 3rd round Facup early 80s.Great Charlton support that day.

.... and Killer got 2 in the vital last game of the 74/75 promotion season against Preston. Cracking atmosphere that evening.
  • Options
    I was at that match, and I asked Hales about it years later, in his then pub....
    He was happy to talk and elaborate about loads of stuff, but when I asked him about that all he said was, "it was just one of those things."
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks for posting that Blackheathen.
    I was at that match and remember the goal.
    My all-time favourite Charlton player
  • Options
    Could do with adjusting the tracking
  • Options
    Absolute legend. My favourite Charlton player by far.
    Happy Birthday, Killer !
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Thanks for posting that Blackheathen.
    I was at that match and remember the goal.

Me too. My only visit to the old Saltergate ground.

Won 2-0

Thanks, Blackheathen!
  • Options
    Superb. I was at the game too.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

I was there. They had a forward called Ernie Moss who they said was better than Killer. They didn’t mention it again.
  • Options
    masicat said:

stonemuse said:

I was there. They had a forward called Ernie Moss who they said was better than Killer. They didn’t mention it again.
    Ernie Moss, blimey ..... remember that name. Total cult hero for Chesterfield at that time, always seemed to be top of the Third Division goalscorers chart.

But that was his level, wasn't it?