Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Simon Francis signs +++CONFIRMED ON OS+++

Comments

• Options
    35k? Rising to 75k? I thought he had been released.......

I also thought the cash signings were going to be forwards.

Stiil, another decent signing.
  • Options
    35k? Rising to 75k? I thought he had been released.......

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]35k? Rising to 75k? I thought he had been released.......

Yer, im sure I read he had been released.
  • Options
    He was released but SUFC held his registration so they'd get a small fee but were safe of not incurring a year wages.

Good Signing.
  • Options
    Another impressive signing by PP and the board.
  • Options
    on the face of it an ok signing. Was skinned by Reidy at their place though. We'll forget that though as he isn't a Charlton youngster ;-)

Comments by Parky say that as soon as Richardson went it was Francis they wanted. No mention of him being in competition with Solly for a place etc. Seems like he'll be first choice. Maybe not for Bournemouth though as Parky says he hasn't had a proper pre-season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]Another impressive signing by PP and the board.

Ditto, it's a shame we're late getting the squad together but things are looking much rosier than a couple of months back.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Throwing Solly in, at left back, at The Den, was hardly going to help him eh. . . .

makes it easier for Parky not to play him though ...
  • Options
    Parky said he wanted 8 new players after Jackson, McCormack and Doherty signed.
    So with Reid, Dailly, Francis having arrived since, that leaves five more gaps to fill:

Marshall?
    Bauza?
    Fortune?
    Abbott?

Another striker?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]Parky said he wanted 8 new players after Jackson, McCormack and Doherty signed.
    So with Reid, Dailly, Francis having arrived since, that leaves five more gaps to fill:

Marshall?
    Bauza?
    Fortune?
    Abbott?

Another striker?
    Going to be at least a goalkeeper and two strikers I'd imagine. Ideally a right midfielder and a third striker.

Don't see why we need Fortune/another centre back myself. Can't afford 4 senior players in that position when Semedo, Youga (once fit) and youngsters can cover there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The thing I don't understand is that Parkinson said they've been waiting along time to get the deal done, presumably they realised they'd have to pay, so how long have they known there was 35k to spend on him? It seems accepted, for whatever reason that there is money for 2 players, which most of us thought would be strikers. Is there more cash?, or is Bauza, being a free, striker 1, striker 2 being someone we pay for?
  • Options
    35k...have that Manchester City.
  • Options
    http://www.southendunited.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10444~2106493,00.html?

Southend site confirms there is also a 25% sell on clause.
  • Options
    repeat what i've already posted. we needed another right-back, Simon Francis is a good player and didn't cost us much. so good news. well done Parky.

strikers now please.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]35k...have that Manchester City.

for that we could've had Yaya Toure for one whole day !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    Going to be at least a goalkeeper and two strikers I'd imagine. Ideally a right midfielder and a third striker.

Don't see why we need Fortune/another centre back myself. Can't afford 4 senior players in that position when Semedo, Youga (once fit) and youngsters can cover there.

Agree, signing Fortune would ultimately be a luxury we can't afford imo. I deally we'd get him but he'll be well down the list of priorities if the club are interested. More likely we were just doing a long serving former player a favour while he's without a club. Not sure how seriously he was ever being looked at as a signing.

I expect Parky is looking to bring in, as you say, a keeper, a right midfielder and at least 2 strikers, but probably 3. Whether they will all be permanent signings or will include some loans, time will tell.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]http://www.southendunited.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10444~2106493,00.html?

Southend site confirms there is also a 25% sell on clause.
    Change the colours to red and that will be our story on our site next season!
  • Options
    Good signing, we have now signed Southend's best 3 players of the last 3 seasons.

Although if Large has his way, he wont get in, as we will be playing the Junior Reds against Bournemouth (talk about moan for moaning sake)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Good signing, we have now signed Southend's best 3 players of the last 3 seasons.

Although if Large has his way, he wont get in, as we will be playing the Junior Reds against Bournemouth (talk about moan for moaning sake)

Haha, Large is getting a bit of stick today!
  • Options
    Pleased again, if only because Parky was able to get the man he wanted to replace Richardson - let's hope Francis does as well. Who knows - Solly might even find himself filling in as a more solid right midfielder in some way games, especially if we can't stretch to an established r winger now. The set pieces sound like a very welcome bonus too; potentially we now have decent delivery from left & right rather than who ever fancies a stab like at times last season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][
    He was whipping in some useful crosses and corners at the Valley and reminded me a little bit of Greg Halford /quote]

What, they were going 75 yards over the head of the player he was aiming at !!?

I've heard the same as some others re Francis, a bit of a Glen Johnson in some ways but worth a go.
  • Options
    If Francis works out what a great bit of business from teh club. Sell a player on 450k on the last year of his contract and re place him with a equal for 35-75k for 2 years.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: roseandcrown[/cite]If Francis works out what a great bit of business from teh club. Sell a player on 450k on the last year of his contract and re place him with a equal for 35-75k for 2 years.

The way I interpreted the fee from the OS article was ..... rising to £75k depending on whether we win promotion.
  • Options
    Finally things are starting to take shape. Assuming Marshall who played on Wednesday signs we have our two keeepers & a virtually new look Back Four of Francis, Dailly, Doherty, Jackson. Just the creative Midfielder & two forwards away from at least being able to start the season like a team then.
  • Options
    As Ketman says things are starting to take shape. I like the way every player Parky has bought in this year has played at least half a season in league one already.
  • Options
    With the Francis signing, there's opportunity here for a smart bit of psychology.

With a fee actually being paid, and Parky saying that all along Francis has been his priority replacement for Richardson, then obviously Francis is expected to be first choice RB.

But comments on the OS to the effect that Francis is lagging behind with his fitness because of his situation in not being contracted to any club....... could mean that possibly he won't be considered match fit or ready for the Bournemouth game.

Which would hand a starting place to Solly, and then it's up to Francis to wrest the shirt from him!
  • Options
    johnson would be dinamite in this league! So if they are alike I'm pleased.
  • Options
    You mean Dynamite right?
  • Options
    Might what?