Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sol Campbell

Comments

• Options

Only 3 points from safety and won a massive game away at Notts County to leapfrog them and go to second bottom , FairPlay

Macclesfield with Sol are going in the right direction, up.
  • Options

Carter said:

If anyone thinks Sol Campbell wasn't one of the best centre halves in the world for a period of time then I despair. Him and Ferdinand were colossal together, he was a giant of a defender and whilst I think he's off his lid as a person I can't take anyone seriously questioning his credentials as a professional footballer. I wouldn't have picked 2 different central defenders than him and Ferdinand even in a time when there was a big choice of world class centre halves. He was in the same class as Cannavaro, Maldini, Stam, Vidic, Nesta, Blanc and Thuram.

I'll see how he gets on as a manager and I don't wish him any harm or ill will I just wish he'd engage his brain a bit more before putting all of his supposed restricted opportunities down to racism

Really the same class as
    Cannavaro and Maldini

No defender has ever or will ever be in the same class as those 2
    That year we were promoted from Division 3 I though Shaw and Berry were outstanding.
  • Options

Only 3 points from safety and won a massive game away at Notts County to leapfrog them and go to second bottom , FairPlay

I hope he does well - seems a lot of people are keen for him to fail. Not an easy job to start with.
  • Options

he's doing much better than I expected .. probably goes to show that modern players below the top strata respond to 'legendary players' as managers rather than some 60 year old never was who is on the managerial roundabout and roundabouts end up going nowhere fast
  • Options
    l
    iaitch said:

Carter said:

If anyone thinks Sol Campbell wasn't one of the best centre halves in the world for a period of time then I despair. Him and Ferdinand were colossal together, he was a giant of a defender and whilst I think he's off his lid as a person I can't take anyone seriously questioning his credentials as a professional footballer. I wouldn't have picked 2 different central defenders than him and Ferdinand even in a time when there was a big choice of world class centre halves. He was in the same class as Cannavaro, Maldini, Stam, Vidic, Nesta, Blanc and Thuram.

I'll see how he gets on as a manager and I don't wish him any harm or ill will I just wish he'd engage his brain a bit more before putting all of his supposed restricted opportunities down to racism

Really the same class as
    Cannavaro and Maldini

No defender has ever or will ever be in the same class as those 2
    That year we were promoted from Division 3 I though Shaw and Berry were outstanding.
    With Lawrie Madden at left back. What a defence that was!
  • Options
    Was it Terry Naylor at right back?
  • Options
    iaitch said:

I think he was a bit later
  • Options
    Yes. Loved Terry Naylor first CAFC team I watched. Full of characters
  • Options

iaitch said:

I think he was a bit later
    About '83.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Naylor joined in the autumn of 1980
  • Options
    When did you join us Alan?
  • Options
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    iaitch said:

When did you join us Alan?

He joined us here in December 2008

• Options

According to Theo Foley you're a right nutter :smile:
  • Options
    3 more points for Sol's men on Saturday .. the great escape could be on
  • Options
    Is apparently getting Andy Cole in to help the Strikers with their shooting

You have to wonder though if Macclesfield are in a false position (taking nothing away from what Campbell is achieving because their confidence must have been shot to pieces) - i.e. they've just been promoted as Champions and most winners from the Conference do quite well the following season; Macclesfield on the other hand lost Askey in the summer and maybe just didnt get the right replacement
  • Options
    Sol is saying he cant take his wife and kids to games due to racists abuse.

Very surprised if thats true, SCP never had issues nor has Moore at WBA
  • Options
    Powell and Moore aren’t unbearable twats though.

Not that I am condoning racist abuse in any way of course.
  • Options
    edited February 2019

Sol is saying he cant take his wife and kids to games due to racists abuse.

Very surprised if thats true, SCP never had issues nor has Moore at WBA

Radio5 said it was homophobic abuse not racial. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47049643
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Big win for Macclesfield tonight.

Out of the bottom two
  • Options
    Campbell was a terrific defender and always gave of his best for England .. I can forgive him his arrogance, he's not the first ex player to be so and he won't be the last (Henry and Carragher are currently top of my list of poseur/arrogant has beens) .. I never wish bad to any club, relegation is an awful thing for any professional player/manager/club staff .. however, I'd be pleased to see the Silkmen stay up this season, even at the expense of another crew of unfortunates
  • Options
    Its a bit of a difficult one

Never like seeing a newly promoted club go down so want Macclesfield to survive - Always had a soft spot for Yeovil after that game in the torrential rain and dont want Notts County to go down either because of their history in the Football League

Unfortunately think its just one of them that'll survive

Equally hope that its Leyton Orient or Wrexham that get promoted from the National League as feel that the others dont have names that sound like Football League clubs
  • Options
    He's putting all the pressure behind him as Macclesfield pull away
  • Options
    He's putting all the pressure behind him as Macclesfield pull away
    Pull away????
    Its 2 points and on Saturday Macclesfield away to 6th placed Forest Green whilst Yeovil are home to 21st placed Crawley, so Macclesfield could easily be back in relegation zone on Saturday
  • Options
    Seems to have all gone a bit quiet now he's turning out to be a decent manager. 

Bet a few are very disappointed. 
    Decent or average

Still could be relegated today

Not sure if he took charge of the game v Exeter as it was the same day he was appointed but if he did its

8 wins
    9 draws
    9 defeats

If he didnt its
    7 wins
    9 draws
    9 defeats

• Options
    Seems to have all gone a bit quiet now he's turning out to be a decent manager. 

Bet a few are very disappointed. 
    Afternoon Sol.  ;)