Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Quality albums you've 'rediscovered' recently

Comments

• Options
    After watching Glasto on tv, during this week I suddenly had the urged to listen to two classic albums "Are you experienced" (......well I am..!) followed by "Live at Leeds".

It's just a shame I no longer smoke.
  • Options
    A Little Spice - Loose Ends

Great music for this weather!!!
  • Options
    Belle and Sebastian - Tigermilk :)
  • Options
    Low - David Bowie
    Classic stuff from the artist of the 70's (IMO)
    The run of albums from Space Oddity through to Scary Monsters was blinding.

Just read Walter Tevis's "The Man who fell to Earth". Put me in the mood.
  • Options
    some of you out there may remember a band called smaller who's lead singer was a fella called Digsy made famous by the oasis song "digsys dinner"
    been listening to some of their old stuff , really good .
    He's now in a band called the sums who are also quite good
  • Options
    Ian Dury and The Blockheads ... best of
  • Options
    I went to see Emiliana Torrini last night, very enjoyable, a quite crazy happy italian woman, Ive been listening to her first album
    Love in the time of Science its worth a listen as is her new one Me and Armini
  • Options
    KBLS - Dig out Secret Messages by ELO - Great Album when played backwards!
  • Options
    >[quote][cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite] At last someone with some tast amongst the heathens!! ;-)

>Love Marillion with Fish, but never really got the post Fish stuff with Steve Hogarth. Listened again a couple of weeks ago and it all clicked. There is some truely >brilliant stuff in their recent catalogue.[/quote]

Haven't listened lately, but the 4 post fish albums up to and including Afraid of Sunlight are all great in their own way.

Since then the Hogarth stuff since has been really really variable, there's always at least 2 or 3 absolutely stunning tracks on each, along with mediocre stuff and some real dross. The last two have been particularly poor. Still a cracking live band on their day though.

On a less shameful note, Live Wood by Paul Weller, listened to the whole of it on my mp3 player the other day - utterly fantastic, and the best live band Weller had since the Jam to date.
  • Options
    Stranglers- Feline

This is one of there most underated albums ever didnt have great success but still a brillian album.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: boggzy[/cite]>
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite] At last someone with some tast amongst the heathens!! ;-)

>Love Marillion with Fish, but never really got the post Fish stuff with Steve Hogarth. Listened again a couple of weeks ago and it all clicked. There is some truely >brilliant stuff in their recent catalogue.

Haven't listened lately, but the 4 post fish albums up to and including Afraid of Sunlight are all great in their own way.

Since then the Hogarth stuff since has been really really variable, there's always at least 2 or 3 absolutely stunning tracks on each, along with mediocre stuff and some real dross. The last two have been particularly poor. Still a cracking live band on their day though.

On a less shameful note, Live Wood by Paul Weller, listened to the whole of it on my mp3 player the other day - utterly fantastic, and the best live band Weller had since the Jam to date.
    [cite]Posted By: boggzy[/cite]>
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite] At last someone with some tast amongst the heathens!! ;-)

>Love Marillion with Fish, but never really got the post Fish stuff with Steve Hogarth. Listened again a couple of weeks ago and it all clicked. There is some truely >brilliant stuff in their recent catalogue.

Was talking about Marillion the other night....mate of mine knew them well when they were unheard of.....saw them at the Tramshed and there first foray into the bigtime at Fairfield...my mate was in a band called Airace with Jason Bonham at the time...he later ended up doing load of jingles...a Mars a day etc...then became a backing vocalist for......Cliff Richard.......

:-)

I went to see the best cover band in the world on Wednesday night......must be the 7th or 8th time...The Australian Pink Floyd......awesome and just close your eyes and you wouldnt know it wasnt Gilmour Waters Mason and Wright....
  • Options
    Well I have been clearing my attic, getting ready for a car boot sale. 'Found' Michael Jackson's 'Off the wall' LP in mint condition and sold it to my neighbour for a fiver. (Cost me 50p in a school fete.) Quite chuffed by that deal....unless someone says the mint album is worth £20.
    Anyway, also found my much loved Roy Harper and John Martyn LP's and have been playing Solid Air. Sublime stuff.
  • Options
    Just came across "The Ballad of Mott: a Retrospective."

Haven't played it for ages - brilliant compilation of all that was great about Mott the Hoople.
  • Options
    On my ipod today I listened to "Sound Affects" by The Jam. I haven't listened to it for years and had the same reaction that I had when it first came out. I thought it was their worst album until I tried it a couple of times and really got into it.

The lyrics to "Set the House Ablaze" are as pertinent today as they were back in the 80's. "Boy ABout Town" always makes me laugh - it's the theme for my mate who sits in front of me in the Lower North!
  • Options
    Tel in Oz....................agree about the Oz pink floyd....I saw them some years ago.

Next album on my list is Quadraphenia.......Bell boy...ya betta get running now.....and....Out of my brain on the five fifthteen!
  • Options
    Slayer - South Of Heaven. Never got the attention that Reign In Blood did, but an infinitely superior album. Hadn't listened to it in months and it just popped up on shuffle in my MP3 player this morning. Rules.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: thewolfboy[/cite]

Anyway, also found my much loved Roy Harper and John Martyn LP's and have been playing Solid Air. Sublime stuff.

Good choices, Wolfie.

Been playing Solid Air earlier in the week. Last time I saw John Martyn was in Plymouth 2 or 3 years ago, he was a bit the worse for drink of course, but he had the audience in the palm of his hand.

I'll have to dig out my couple of Roy Harper albums, not played them for a long time.
  • Options
    "Time has told me" Nick Drake.......bit depressing, but then again things aint that brilliant at the moment
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz

I went to see the best cover band in the world on Wednesday night......must be the 7th or 8th time...The Australian Pink Floyd......awesome and just close your eyes and you wouldnt know it wasnt Gilmour Waters Mason and Wright....

Thet are brilliant Tel - Saw them at Rochester Castle two years ago and the Royal Albert Hall last year.
  • Options
    Bronski Beat!!! dont know title. early jimmy summerville. 'hit that perfect beat' i feel love' . great 80's retro tracks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got my led zep albums out of the loft, no wonder 20 million tried to buy tickets at the O2 last year, especially the live stuff.. talk about a hard act to follow!

But then I am stuck in a progressive time warp.....Hendrix, Free, Cream, Gallagher, Zappa, Nick Drake .......

In Fact off to a Nick Drake festival tommorow.......
  • Options
    Reading this thread makes me wish I had my old vinyl collection here in Phuket. Sold most of it when I came to Thailand, but kept some favourites. Problem is I sold the turntable as well.
  • Options
    great to see nick drake mentioned anywhere - legend
    on the marillion note i remember seeing fish @ wembley 87 (fmc final) :)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: 2nd Division & Proud[/cite]great to see nick drake mentioned anywhere - legend
    on the marillion note i remember seeing fish @ wembley 87 (fmc final) :)[/quote]

The celebration of Nick Drake is literally down the road in Tanworth in Arden (im in coventry), but stuck with a full day of work to do at home today so I miss it this year.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bangkokaddick[/cite]Reading this thread makes me wish I had my old vinyl collection here in Phuket. Sold most of it when I came to Thailand, but kept some favourites.

Problem is I sold the turntable as well.

You can easily buy a turntable/deck on the internet and get it delivered to you in Thailand.

Probably get plenty of change out of £100. Shop around, you'd be surprised.
    Or get one that will transfer your vinyl to CD or MP3, as you play.
  • Options
    yesterday and today - i've missed it again :( will try to get there next year
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: 2nd Division & Proud[/cite]great to see nick drake mentioned anywhere - legend
    on the marillion note i remember seeing fish @ wembley 87 (fmc final) :)

I was at a festival last weekend and picked up a CD of rare Nick Drake tapes before he made his first commercial album.
    Really mellow.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: 2nd Division & Proud[/cite]great to see nick drake mentioned anywhere - legend
    on the marillion note i remember seeing fish @ wembley 87 (fmc final) :)[/quote]

I was at a festival last weekend and picked up a CD of rare Nick Drake tapes before he made his first commercial album.
    Really mellow.[/quote]

Whats the title of that CD Oggy?
  • Options
    "Family Tree" ........ Nick Drake