Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Quality albums you've 'rediscovered' recently

Comments

• Options
    had an 80's day yesterday, I'd forgotten what a great album "Songs from the big chair" by Tears for Fears really is
  • Options
    Panini 1986 with only Liverpool team sticker and oxford shiny missing
  • Options
    Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I am, That's What I'm Not
  • Options
    Big Audio Dynamite - Megatop Phoenix
  • Options
    A Perfect Circle - Mer de Noms
    Lush - Gala
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]A Perfect Circle - Mer de Noms
    Lush - Gala[/quote]

forgot about that lush album, the pale saints debut from about the same time on 4AD is also a goodun
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas
    Lush - Spooky
    Breeders - Last Splash

Summer vibes!

Me too,- all of them today so far, plus Loveless by MBV for the first time in about a year.
  • Options
    3blokes said:

Just putting in a shout for The Average White Band "1st" Album ( the White one with their logo on the front)

It's a great collection of songs, well played and really nicely produced. I didn't appreciate how good it was when I first had it all those years ago, but listening to it now, it's the best thing I've heard in ages.

If you like that sort of thing of course....;-)

Listening to AWB today - what quality music.
    Wish i could see them live. Not even sure they are still together.
  • Options
    Surfs Up......The Beach Boys.
  • Options

3blokes said:

Just putting in a shout for The Average White Band "1st" Album ( the White one with their logo on the front)

It's a great collection of songs, well played and really nicely produced. I didn't appreciate how good it was when I first had it all those years ago, but listening to it now, it's the best thing I've heard in ages.

Supported the AWB at the Tramshed in about 87/88, very good live band.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

3blokes said:

Racist
  • Options
    Not exactly rediscovered......but listened to Blue Lines for the first time in a while over the weekend.

Quality stuff.
  • Options

3blokes said:

Saw them live at Love Supreme Festival in 2016. They were pretty good. The entire lineup that year was excellent, to be honest!
  • Options
    TELTEL
    edited May 2018
    Re-discovered Greenslade after opening up my box of 100+ Cassette tapes recently. Top band and still performing by all accounts. Just listened to Time & Tide......one of the best. Anyone remember the BBC series "Gangsters"? from the mid 70's?
    Also Love "Cactus Choir"
  • Options
    Not the sort of stuff I normally listen to at home or on the train, but I recently remembered I had a copy of the Prodigy's Fat of the Land in my collection, and it's great exercise music for the gym
  • Options
    The Farm - Spartacus
  • Options
    Back To The Centre by Paul Brady. Wonderful.
  • Options
    Now 46
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    A few months back I decided to recreate, on Spotify, an album I bought back in 1970 in Bromley (I was 14 or 15). Fill Your Head With Rock was a cut price sampler, so was within budget. This was my wanna be hippy phase.
    I think some of it has probably stood the test of time quite well.
    Some is very hippyish.
    https://open.spotify.com/user/jdmotion/playlist/7w6Qf3T1Xh4WsHbuXwP8lf
  • Options

3blokes said:

Racist
    Would only be racist if they were better than average WB
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    TEL said:

Re-discovered Greenslade after opening up my box of 100+ Cassette tapes recently. Top band and still performing by all accounts. Just listened to Time & Tide......one of the best. Anyone remember the BBC series "Gangsters"? from the mid 70's?
    Also Love "Cactus Choir"

I remember them from my hippy wannabe phase.
  • Options
    Featuring the splendidly named flautist/keyboardist, Thijs Van Leer. Wish I had a quid for every time I’ve been asked if we are related.

Thanks I’ll Eat it Here, by Lowell George from 1979. Up there with Little Feat’s finest.

If you like AWB, check out Hamish Stuart at the 606 or at odd little pubs round Faversham way from time to time. He rocks up with Ash Soan, Pino Palladino, Snake Davis and the absolute cream of UK sessioners, and recreates the AWB vibe way better than his erstwhile partner Alan Gorrie who he fell out with but who kept the band name.
  • Options
    Gavin Clark - Beautiful Skeletons, only 500 of this brilliant compilation released at the time, thanks to spotify its easy to listen to now. A mix of solo works, some of the songs he wrote with Sunhouse and tracks he composed for Shane Meadows films.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

FOCUS in Victoria, London, 1976.
    Splendid musicianship, lovely chord progression, phrasing, variation, and yodeling. An eclectic mix of Jazz-fusion, funk and classical. Sublime, relaxing music from the Dutch maestros.

Fixed that for you.

• Options
    JVL said:

Featuring the splendidly named flautist/keyboardist, Thijs Van Leer. Wish I had a quid for every time I’ve been asked if we are related.

Thanks I’ll Eat it Here, by Lowell George from 1979. Up there with Little Feat’s finest.

If you like AWB, check out Hamish Stuart at the 606 or at odd little pubs round Faversham way from time to time. He rocks up with Ash Soan, Pino Palladino, Snake Davis and the absolute cream of UK sessioners, and recreates the AWB vibe way better than his erstwhile partner Alan Gorrie who he fell out with but who kept the band name.

Cheers JVL, must admit, I did see Hamish at the 606 once - very good he was too. I assume he lives Faversham way?
  • Options
    Crisis what Crisis - Supertramp
    Frampton comes alive
  • Options
    JVL said:

I saw Hamish Stuart do a set of AWB numbers at Kenney Jones polo club a couple of years ago. He was very good.
  • Options
    Mad Dogs and Englishmen. Jo Cocker. Rediscovered after25 years. Quality.
    Also, agree entirely. AWB are superb.
  • Options
    John Barleycorn must die- Traffic.

Turning Point- John Mayall. The Sax and flute playing on this album by Johnny Almond is exquisite.

All Jeff Beck albums, there are a lot of them, after watching a programme about him on TV.