Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The difference between the north and the south

edited July 2011 in Not Sports Related
1. Northerners are more friendly (from my experience on holidays)
2. Football is more popular and taken more seriously up north especially a town like liverpool.
3. Slightly better weather down south.
4. cheaper property up north.

Any others? I like where I live, local to Charlton, but can imagine it would be good growing up in a place like Newcastle.

Comments

• If you go up north, to say Hackney or Islington, it feels so weird and alien, different driving habits, different accents, different street lighting. Thank god for the river Thames.
  • 5. Trains that sound like buses.

6. Chips usually come with some kind of sauce, e.g. gravy or curry.

• True, the River Thames exists for a reason. North London = webbed feet land.
  • 1. Northerners are more friendly (from my experience on holidays)
    2. Football is more popular and taken more seriously up north especially a town like liverpool.
    3. Slightly better weather down south.
    4. cheaper property up north.

Any others? I like where I live, local to Charlton, but can imagine it would be good growing up in a place like Newcastle.

all the above

more open countryside

less crowded towns beaches

less pollution

less chavs

more golf courses

more race courses

better looking ladies

less money about in most places

better sense of humour (except scousers who get right on my tits)

• growing up in Newcastle would be good .. until you get to 18 or leave 'uni' and need to find a local job .. then you'd be struggling
  • bad time to be skint at the age of 18 in newcastle, known for its good nightlife.
  • 7. People up North tend to support the club of the town they were born in or at least their local club and wouldn't dream of anything else. Down here most people i know are Man Utd or Liverpool. They have it right by my reckoning.

• 7. People up North tend to support the club of the town they were born in or at least their local club and wouldn't dream of anything else. Down here most people i know are Man Utd or Liverpool. They have it right by my reckoning.

mmmm, in Grimsby there are a load of Liverpool and Man U shirt wearers (Leeds and Hull are detested), though there is still a lot of obvious support for poor ol Grimsby. There are quite a few spurs and W Ham fans about, fans who go to London for every home game and me, the only known Addick
  • Cheaper living costs certainly but I wouldn't want to live anywhere other than London in this country.

As someone who grew up in the West Midlands, which you lot would doubtless class as 'up north', I can confirm this is categorically untrue. A few Wolves, Baggies, Blues and Villa fans at my school but they were overwhelmingly out numbered by Man Utd fans, followed by Liverpool. Actually, thinking about I only knew one Blues fan - I knew as many Blackburn, Palace, Millwall, Spurs, Man City, Notts Forest, Newcastle and Everton as I did Blues fans and I only knew a couple of Baggies fans.

Scenary is better up north as is the traffic and driving experience in general. Cheaper beer and food too.

London is a fantastic city to visit, but I have to say I woudn't move back and while the surrounding counties can be beautiful you can get most of what they have to offer at a fraction of the price if you travel a couple of hours north or west.

• Sponsored links:

• Northerners poo in swimming pools if my recent experience in Benalmadena is anything to go by
  • Theres more northerners in the south than southerners in the north
  • Don't Believe in the "Northerners take Football more seriously than southeners" statement, a statement that I've heard a few times!
    Why?  What grounds is this based on?  Teams like West Ham, Tottenham, Arsenal, Portsmouth, Southampton, Millwall, Us! Etc etc.  Are you telling me their fans aren't as passionate as the northern supported teams?
  • Some northerners have a huge chip on their shoulder about the south, no southerner I have met has a chip on their shoulder about the north. 
  • Northern women are normally fatter and easier to pull.

The north smells (i.e. Grimsby - fish, Middlesborough - god knows)
  • Northern women are normally fatter and easier to pull.

hahaha

• edited July 2011
    Southerners are usually richer.
    Northerners can drink more.
  • southerners can dress
    northerners can't
  • Southerners are usually richer.
    Northerners can drink more.

Cobblers. Other way around in my experience... :-)
  • Northerners are lazier than Southerners. I've established this as a fact whilst visiting the place where my bird is from,just outside Barnsley, where I witnessed the following:

The chippy closes at 6pm on a Saturday, even though there are tubby Northerners queueing out of the door at this time of day. In contrast, Sefa Kebab Shop on New Cross Road is open til around 4am on a Sunday morning.

The local pub closes at roughly 9 o'clock on a Sunday evening!

• Sponsored links:

• Northern cliffs have puffins.

Southern cliffs don't.

• Oop North the buses stop at about 5:30 on a Sunday evening, the cab drivers don't work on Sundays and it's a long walk back from the pub to your B&B in the dark at 11pm! Dahn Sarff buses, trains and cabbies work Sunday night until at least an hour past chucking out time.
  • When I was living up north there was a Chinese that shut for an hour twice a day, for lunch and dinner!

Northern cliffs have puffins.

Southern cliffs don't.

Good call.
  • southerners have salt and vinegar on chips
    northerners have gravy
  • Southerners don't stuff ferrets down their trousers
  • there seems to be more pride associated with yr county/region eg yorkshire,lancashire and what they call "gods country " etc .yes agreed northerners do tend to be freindlier on holidays, they do seem to like pets and growing vegetable growing more .the more north you go the less women wear when its cold (and men),There is an inherent suspicion of anyone from london (almost to the extent that we are a tory spy!) ...they will never tell you this though .Northerners seem to openly enjoy themselves more,they still think blackpool is worth visisting .
  • I have to disagree with your 1 and 3. And probably 2.

I you watch Come Dine With Me it is a nailed on fact that people from Norther towns are always nastier, meaner with scores and generally way more unpleasant to each other than contestants from Souther towns.

Southerns are not wealthier. They generally earn more but the costs of everything is more expensive so Northerners have way more disposable income than southerners.

As for better suport for football, London has more teams than any other city in the Uk, and way more than proportianl to its size so I don't agree with this.

You seem to be confusing people who shout louder about their realitive wealth and support of their team than looking at what actually happens.

• In the south we have cod or haddock or plaice it you're lucky. Up north they have fish. And it tends to get smothered in mushy peas, gravy or curry sauce.

"Northerners poo in swimming pools if my recent experience in Benalmadena is anything to go by" - last time I checked, Benalmadena was in Spain - that's south mate.
  • Down south we have london up north they dont.

Cheaper it maybe but  Mogadishu is cheaper than London, hardly reason to move from the south.

• Me and my northern mates at uni have this discussion all the time...

Southerners call swimming pools...swimming pools.

Northerners call swimming pools...swimming baths!