Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - F.A. Cup 3rd Round 5th Jan 1985 Spurs 1 Charlton 1

edited January 2007 in General Charlton
Tottenham Hotspur (1) 1 (Crooks 5) Charlton Athletic (0) 1 (Aizlewood 50) Att 29,029

Tottenham: Clemence, Stevens, Mabbutt, Roberts, Miller, Perryman, Chiedozie (Houghton 76), Falco, Galvin, Hoddle, Crooks.

Charlton: Johns, Curtis, Friar, Gritt, Moore, Berry, Madden, Curbishley, Lee, Aizlewood, Flanagan. Sub (not used) Dowman.

Referee: Alan Gunn (Burgess Hill, Sussex)

Penalty, awarded against Perryman for tripping Lee. Aizlewoods penalty was saved by Clemence, as was Gritts effort from the rebound. Aizlewood finally put the second rebound away.

NB Spurs won the replay 1-2 at The Valley in front of 21,409 fans. Galvin 32 and Falco 85 for Spurs and a Moore penalty on 88 for Charlton.

Comments

• Options
    I was at the replay. Massive row outside the covered end.
  • Options
    i was at this game midweek evening kick off and it did kick off big time, lots of trouble,spurs brought loads.
  • Options
    like what you're doing Home + Away, keep it up mate !
  • Options
    i'm still actively trying to keep it up, 1 can only try,many miles have i travelled many games have i seen....
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]I was at the replay. Massive row outside the covered end.[/quote]

Bit of a row outside White Hart Lane as well......My brother broke his leg on the morning of the match (slipped on some ice, running to his car) and I had to go on my own....scary
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: HOME & AWAY[/cite]

NB Spurs won the replay 1-2 at The Valley in front of 21,409 fans. Galvin 32 and Falco 85 for Spurs and a Moore penalty on 88 for Charlton.[/quote]

Wasn't this the match where Charlton were fined by the taxman for falsifying the attendance figure? I thought there must have been 20000 on the East Terrace alone :)
  • Options
    Remember both games well as a young and impressionable 14 year old . The atmosphere at both games was electric, and the crowds seemed to be twice as big as the reported attendances . It was the first time i had seen a Charlton away following above 1k approximately 4/5k crammed in behind the goal at spurs.
    From my faded memory i think our equaliser was Aizlewood following up his own penalty after Ray Clemence had made his first ever save from a penalty(typical Charlton never straight forward) and he was ancient then!!
    The pandamonium that followed that goal was absolutely mental, a vintage good old fashioned surge, feet not touching the ground, arms and legs everywhere, grabbing and bundling everyone in sight,screaming your head off having a complete and utter fit!!
    I think Mick Flanagan hit a long range shot late on, that didn't miss by much, that had us all surging forward like lunatics.
    The replay was delayed a few times, i think because of snow, but the draw had all ready been made for the next round and the winners were to play the mighty all conquering Liverpool at Anfield LIVE on tv, which at the time would have been a dream for any young lad because we'd never been on tv live in my lifetime and Liverpool at that time were probably the best team in the world and we were light years away from ever playing them.( New fans today take these big games for granted, we might not be playing these world class sides for a long time after the end of this season).
    Anyway that trip to Anfield didn't materialise cos once again 'Tony-Tony-Galvin-Tony-Galvin-on-the-wing' scored a blinder and even tho Ronnie Moore pulled one back late on from the spot we were never really close.
  • Options
    The replay was delayed a few times, i think because of snow

Yep, the replay took place in February, I remember it being just after my birthday. I didn't go to the first leg but sat in the West Stand and left just before Moore's penalty.
  • Options
    I was at the White Hart Lane game , behind the goal but it seats if I remember rightly and all the Charlton standing in front us , when spurs scored we got coined by Charlton for some reason ! Cracking turnout

I was n't allowed to go to the replay as it was a school night
  • Options
    remember it well, in those days you were allowed a beer whilst watching the game and remember carefully walking through the crowd not spilling a drop and then we got the penalty and I ended up wearing it! great day out and should have won at the end as remember us missing an open goal. (some say on purpose as we needed the revenue from the replay!!!!)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I stood on the East that night (only 8) seem to remember getting bombarded by bricks and bits of rock from Floyd road. Absolutely loved the sense of excitment.
    Also I remmber us getting a penalty and the keeper rsing about so we took it whilst he was kicking the post or something, of course we had to re-take it.
    Also went to the first game very vivid memories of this but I was sitting in the ground which if I recall was behind the opposite goal to which we scored.
    It sent shock waves round the world that result, you didnt get upsets then like you do now I dont think.
  • Options
    We were packed like sardines behind that goal at WHL. Can't remember being so crammed at a game. As mentioned above it was bedlam when we scored, I didn't find my bruv and his mate for about ten minutes, we were mile apart!

At the replay I remember wondering what the crowd was and then being disappointed when I saw it in the paper!
  • Options
    Went to the replay, I seem to remember Ronnie Moore taking our penalty before Clemence was ready & ran off celebrating, he re-took it & scored again anyway although it didn't mean much to the final result.
  • Options
    Happier days......
  • Options
    A real team giving 100%
  • Options
    Am I right in thinking it was Paul 'Donkey' Miller's foul that gave us the penalty and then he went on to be a Charlton legend at Stamford Bridge with that superbly struck goal in '88?
  • Options
    One of my all time favorite games. I remember Dave Madden having a stormer in midfield and getting covered in beer and going absolutely bonkers when we scored.

Bumped into Steve Gritt at a football do the same evening and must have driven him mad!

Shat myself at the replay as I walked out of the ground and missiles rained down. I've still got the highlights of the replay on video (from midweek sports special) somewhere.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Al the Addick[/cite]remember it well, in those days you were allowed a beer whilst watching the game and remember carefully walking through the crowd not spilling a drop and then we got the penalty and I ended up wearing it! great day out and should have won at the end as remember us missing an open goal. (some say on purpose as we needed the revenue from the replay!!!!)

I think I saw that happen! Were you carefully carrying about four beers at once? If not, then you weren't the only one!!
  • Options
    I went to the game at WHL, it was early in January as normal for Rd3. My wife was 2 or 3 weeks from giving birth to our first. I said to her 'don't go and have the baby on the replay date please' Wouldn't ya know it, she took a turn for the worse and he was premature, born 23rd.I was stuck in the hospital for days. Looked like my attendance at the replay was scuppered. But if i remember correctly, there was heavy snow and the game was put back. Well i got to see it anyway.
  • Options
    The replay was my first game at The Valley, I didn't play, just watched. The crowd on the East Terrace was awesome.
    My first game should have been a 4-1 home win against Spurs in '78 but I couldn't go at the last minute. Then the pub on a Saturday afternoon was more attractive!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bring it on!
  • Options
    Was at both games.
    We've had a decent record at Spurs over the years so, if we do get through the replay, perhaps we could pull off a shock and bring them back to the Valley.
    Would love to see the old ground full up once again.
  • Options
    went to this game with my dad, great day out on the old terrace behind the goal ! think Tottenham were flying high in the 1st div and we were really struggling in the league...

on the flip side white hart lane is the only time iv left a game with 30 mins to go
  • Options
    didnt Tony Galvin score a pearler to win the replay ?

remember a bit of trouble behind the covered end after that match, bricks thrown etc
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oracle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]I was at the replay. Massive row outside the covered end.

Bit of a row outside White Hart Lane as well......My brother broke his leg on the morning of the match (slipped on some ice, running to his car) and I had to go on my own....scary
    Yes I remember a lot of Charlton turning right at Tottenham High Street after the match.Mounted Police had to intervene.....
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I went to the WHL game as a spotty 17 year old. We started at a pub just the other side of the Woolwich ferry about 10.00 am. Remember it being very packed in the stand behind the goal.
  • Options
    My memories are that Ronnie Moore was a rock at Centre Back and led our defence superbly in both games and that the midfield trio of Aizlewood , Curbs and Madden more than matched Hoddle , Perryman and co. I think this was one of Curbs's first games for the Addicks.

I do remember no player seemed to want to take the spot kick at WHL and in the replay Clemence tried mind games on Ronnie and said 'Whose got the guts to take this one then' to which Ronnie replied ' I have' and despatched the kick as the former England stopper returned to his line and appealed to the Ref who made him retake it . Needless to say Ronnie scored the retake.

Happy days
  • Options
    Went to both. It was very cold at WHL but I have vivid memories of Garth Crooks repeatedly seeming to be able to control passes to him with his throat! Great result in the context of the time, and in relation to the standing of the two clubs at the time.
    At the replay, when the attendance was announced, there was a massive groan/gasp/laugh of disbelief, there were over 30,000 in that day. I also remember a fantastic save from Ray Clemence at the open end that would have given us the lead, or the equaliser at the time...not shown on that evenings highlights.
    Hairy atmosphere, but atmospheric it certainly was, one of those great old Valley evening game memories.
  • Options
    Believe it or not, I wasn't at this game.......
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    went to both games if i remember we nearly got a winner at the death at white hart lane just going past the post by a whisker,lucky f--kers.

some things never change.

also remember dave madden having a superb game at their place.