Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - F.A. Cup 3rd Round 5th Jan 1985 Spurs 1 Charlton 1

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]I was at the replay. Massive row outside the covered end.

I remember that....I went base over apex trying to get away from the chaos :)
  • Options
    Went to both games. Went to WHL with a spurs supporting mate and his uncle. So had to stand on the Shelf. Away end looked great WHL was a great ground back then.

The "official" crowd for replay must have had something to do with the 20,000 restricted capacity at the Valley at that time!
  • Options
    Never been so crushed at a game re the WHL game----great support that day. Started in North Woolwich as i remember.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I was at WHL, we played them off the park, but flash lacked the support to finish them off. Dave Madden as mentioned above was superb and never gave Hoddle a moments peace to pick a pass, while keeping things simple and giving us a great tempo in midfield.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]I was at the replay. Massive row outside the covered end.[/quote]

Remember it well, pretty lively up there as well

Good old days
  • Options
    A bit more enthusiasm in those days about the cup.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure we were bottom of Div 2 and the Spuds were top of Div 1. I woz there and will never forget Flanagan being put through with only the keeper to beat in the last minute - and he rolled it agonisingly inches outside the post.
  • Options
    As usual the Programme can be seen here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/11709068534

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/
  • Options
    Went to both these games (went to all the homes back then and half the aways) main memory was that it was a tad crowded in the away section, and it seemed to take an age for the OB to open up the next section to where we were standing.
  • Options
    The FA Cup draw came through as we were sat on the train following the 5-0 thrashing at Oxford. Talk about cheering us up a bit! (and me in particular as Dowman had neglected to pick me up in his car, meaning I didn't get to the Manor Ground until half-time!)

The game at White Hart Lane was brilliant and every player gave a superb performance, especially Johns, Moore, MAdden and Aizlewood. We grew into the game after Johns had kept us in it with a load of diving saves and by the end we were attacking constantly. Flanagan's low shot on the run went just past the far post near the end. Think I managed to see Clemence make the initial save from the penalty, couldn't see the follow-up shot (was that not Aizlewood too?) and just about saw the third shot go in.

We needed the replay to come around quickly on the following Tues but the Sunday morning snow did for us....f*cked everything up for about three weeks! (except Oldham away...) We gave it a bit of a go when the replay finally got played but in truth Spurs were better than us that night. They had a massive following...probably about 8,000.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

One of my all time favorite games. I remember Dave Madden having a stormer in midfield and getting covered in beer and going absolutely bonkers when we scored.

Bumped into Steve Gritt at a football do the same evening and must have driven him mad!

Shat myself at the replay as I walked out of the ground and missiles rained down. I've still got the highlights of the replay on video (from midweek sports special) somewhere.</

Madden was superb, dominated their midfield, I remember Hoddle clattering a few of ours out of sheer frustration.

A load of us met in Woolwich really early, then crossed to North Woolwich and got in a pub, then made our way to White Hart Lane station via Stratford.

I remember we were making a lot of noise on the walk from the station to the ground, don't think Spuds fans could believe it. It got a bit hairy after the game all mingled in together, there were right handers being thrown everywhere.

I remember my mate saying to me on the way to the ground "do you know that Ray Clemence has never saved a penalty, so when we were awarded the pen I just knew he was going to save it.

The turn out from us was unbelievable and I was certain that Flanagan"s late effort was going in. Up there with my favourite away games.

The replay was obviously a bit of a let down and the Spuds fans were well up for it when they spilled out of the East Terrace/Covered End exit.

• Options
    A day to remember for those that went. Days when we were proud of our club.
  • Options
    The replay was my first game at The Valley, I didn't play, just watched. The crowd on the East Terrace was awesome.
    My first game should have been a 4-1 home win against Spurs in '78 but I couldn't go at the last minute. Then the pub on a Saturday afternoon was more attractive!
  • Options
    We all agree...Aizlewoods better than Hoddle (soundtrack that day).

When the draw came through, me and Bolloxbolder were in a car with an Oxford fan and his missus after a 5-0 shellacking at the old Manor Ground. By the time we hit the A40 we were predicting a cricket score at WHL, we were near the bottom of Division 2, the Spuds were going for the League title.

As it turned out, we could have nicked it at the end, and the goal was one of the great milks of my Charlton career - Aizlewood took the pen, Clemence saved it , Gritty smashed it towards the goal and Clemence saved it again....rolled out and Aizlewood tapped it in. Utter pandemonium ensued...

The replay got cancelled a couple of times and the fizz went out of it a bit, the official "revised" capacity may have been exceeded that night.
  • Options
    Went to both games. Happy days indeed.
  • Options
    I remember sitting on the train at Oxford station after the 5-0 thrashing (Steve Gritt as sweeper....that worked well!) when the draw was made on the radio. Everyone immediately forgot about the mauling we'd just had and all the talk was about the Spurs game. The FA Cup was THE thing in those days....not the league.

After a bright beginning, our form had slumped and we were having a poxy 84-85 season, so to play that well against an excellent Spurs team was amazing. But the game at White Hart Lane was our chance to really cause a shock and we couldn't quite manage it. It snowed heavily that night and there was no football for a few weeks (apart from a routine defeat at Oldham). By the time the replay finally went ahead 18 days later, Spurs had got their act together and beat us fairly comfortably.
  • Options
    I remember the first game at WHL as I went with Spurs fans from school (living in Hertfordshire) and we passed a pub called the Robert Lee that was heaving with us, the away end was superb and they opened additional pens to accommodate us (I climbed over a fence giving it large to the Shelf) lots of singing yippee aye yeh....

The replay was the day before I joined the army and was shipped up to Harrogate for a couple of years.

What a crowd on the East Terrace, no way there was only 20k in the ground, lots of trouble inside and outside the ground and I have a memory of Glenn Hoddle taking a corner in front of the Covered End lots of coins being thrown and him picking them up and tucking them into his sock.

Happy but very different days

• Options
    I was due to be playing that day. The game was called off due to an icy pitch. I think it was about 2:20. I had to change out of my kit and then drove like a madman from Dartford to WH Lane. Thought I was mad. Missed 3-10 minutes but well worth it.
  • Options

A day to remember for those that went. Days when we were proud of our club.

Exactly it was a great day how things have changed .
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Riviera said:

The replay was my first game at The Valley, I didn't play, just watched. The crowd on the East Terrace was awesome.
    My first game should have been a 4-1 home win against Spurs in '78 but I couldn't go at the last minute. Then the pub on a Saturday afternoon was more attractive!

You went to the pub on a Saturday afternoon when you were 13 ?

Can I have a ribena & a packet of cheese & onion sir ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Simonsen said:

I remember sitting on the train at Oxford station after the 5-0 thrashing (Steve Gritt as sweeper....that worked well!) when the draw was made on the radio. Everyone immediately forgot about the mauling we'd just had and all the talk was about the Spurs game. The FA Cup was THE thing in those days....not the league.

After a bright beginning, our form had slumped and we were having a poxy 84-85 season, so to play that well against an excellent Spurs team was amazing. But the game at White Hart Lane was our chance to really cause a shock and we couldn't quite manage it. It snowed heavily that night and there was no football for a few weeks (apart from a routine defeat at Oldham). By the time the replay finally went ahead 18 days later, Spurs had got their act together and beat us fairly comfortably.

Remember it being kin freezing at the Oxford game.
  • Options

Simonsen said:

Yeah and I only got in at half-time because "Dowman" forgot to pick me up on the A40. We were already 2-0 down. It was a proper old-school thrashing. No redeeming features at all.
  • Options
    Was at both games- first memorable for freezing before the kick off, then quickly thawing out as CAFC chased the game - second for the disappointment once realising Spurs had more than just an edge.

As for Paul Miller....never a donkey , probably the hardest and bravest in the tackle since Derek Ufton and that is going back a bit.
  • Options

Riviera said:

You went to the pub on a Saturday afternoon when you were 13 ?

Can I have a ribena & a packet of cheese & onion sir ?
    :smile: I meant in subsequent years, my next game was the FA Cup 1/4 at Old Trafford. Mates went to Charlton but Courage Best and pool in The Greyhound, Eltham was my choice in the cricket off-season.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Simonsen said:

Yeah and I only got in at half-time because "Dowman" forgot to pick me up on the A40. We were already 2-0 down. It was a proper old-school thrashing. No redeeming features at all.
    If you mean Don, we probably know each other.
  • Options

Simonsen said:

Simonsen said:

If you mean Don, we probably know each other.
    I think the "Dowman" on Charlton Life is a different bloke.

The "Dowman" back in the 80's used to hang around with me, Richard Birch, Steve Dixon and "The Man in Black." He was a pretty quiet lad but for a time came to all the away games.

If you were a regular away supporter in the 80s then we undoubtedly know each other by sight at least.
  • Options

Simonsen said:

Wasn't there a guy at the Manor Ground, about 20 stone with no shirt, beating his bare chest while the rest of us were shivering?
  • Options

Simonsen said:

Wasn't there a guy at the Manor Ground, about 20 stone with no shirt, beating his bare chest while the rest of us were shivering?
    Might be the ginger bloke who was from Oxford, although don't think he started doing this until a few years later.