Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Open Golf

Spent the day at St Andrews yesterday - super day. I'm not a golfer myself, but it's enthralling to watch, especially up close.

Resisted the temptation to shout "Come on Coco the clown" to Rory McIlroy.,,he played brillantly.

Comments

• I'm "working from home" watching it now.

Played St Andrews twice and although it has great history and some of the best greens you'll ever find, I'll wouldn't want to play it every week
  • [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Spent the day at St Andrews yesterday - super day. I'm not a golfer myself, but it's enthralling to watch, especially up close.

Resisted the temptation to shout "Come on Coco the clown" to Rory McIlroy.,,he played brillantly.

Did you shout at Tiger "In the hole"?
  • [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Spent the day at St Andrews yesterday - super day. I'm not a golfer myself, but it's enthralling to watch, especially up close.

Did you shout at Tiger "In the hole"?

I'm not that rude ;-)
  • Did Woods get any stick or are golfing spectators generally quite respectable?
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Did Woods get any stick or are golfing spectators generally quite respectable?

Only saw him briefly. Main difference is that he is surrounded by an entourage of minders and police, whereas the others usually only have their caddie for company. Don't think he got much stick - it was a pretty subdued crowd compared to a football one. It took quite a lot even to get them to clap much. All very genteel, really.
  • The South African is having a belter!

Doubt he'll have a better 4 rounds in his life.
  • [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]The South African is having a belter!

Doubt he'll have a better 4 rounds in his life.

He was 200/1 on Wednesday to win.
  • Just come back from weekend in Dundee (not GOLF related) although everyone was talking or watching it. Lived close to St Andrews and it was a great place to live
  • The Open to be shown live on Sky from 2017 after they signed an exclusive 5 year deal
  • The Open to be shown live on Sky from 2017 after they signed an exclusive 5 year deal

Well done Sky they deserve it. They show golf every week from around the world live, they should have the biggest event.

BBC are a disgrace - another reason why we should not have to pay for them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just goes to show the list wrote up of events that can't be touched from terrestial tv by the sports minster meant nothing

Sky will do it better imo
  • Just goes to show the list wrote up of events that can't be touched from terrestial tv by the sports minster meant nothing

Sky will do it better imo

The Open isn't one of the "crown jewels", highlights just need to be shown free to air.
  • I like sky for ryder cup, but BBC pisses all over it for Masters and The Open.
  • Very sad to see but very predictable
    BBC didn't do enough to retain it, its that simple
    I'm one of those that think the open should be on terrestrial tele
  • Think it's a massive shame personally.

• edited February 2015

I like sky for ryder cup, but BBC pisses all over it for Masters and The Open.

Yes, I always enjoyed Gary Lineker's insights to the world of golf and I can't wait until April to hear what poems Ken Brown has for us. It almost makes up for their inability to pronounce Jack Nicklaus's name correctly.
  • Good news in my opinion. The BBC couldn't cover enough of all four days where as Sky can.
  • bbc's coverage starts at 9.00am on the thursady morning and usually goes to about 7.30pm on the first two days, and from 11.30am on the third and fourth day until the final put goes in on both days, that's pretty extensive.
  • It used to be in the Crown jewels they were discussing it on talk sport
  • BBC don't really do sports anymore but expect to be given the 'Crown Jewels' as and when it suits them.

I don't watch a lot of golf but as someone says Sky cover the European and PGA tour every week so why not give them the Open.

Also on a lot of sports they focus on the British competitor even when they have no chance instead of concentrating on the leaders.

An example of this is athletics, they have to show how the British did and have countless replays of their race/event when the competition is still going on and disregard the leading competitors.

I've watched athletics on Eurosport and they show all the athletes regardless of nationality but the BBC are too busy talking about the Brits.

• Sponsored links:

• It used to be in the Crown jewels they were discussing it on talk sport

I'm surprised it wasn't on there but I can't find any evidence of them being removed. The list is actually very limited.
  • bbc's coverage starts at 9.00am on the thursady morning and usually goes to about 7.30pm on the first two days, and from 11.30am on the third and fourth day until the final put goes in on both days, that's pretty extensive.

I have to agree. I have Sky so doesn't affect me, but I feel that BBC's coverage of the Open is usually pretty good and I like Ken Brown's pieces on the rules of golf and the state of the greens.

Problem I have with Sky is that they have to show adverts & will mean missing bits of the action every 15 mins or so. I do also remember the last Ryder cup when there was a massive cheer from another green & you knew someone had done something spectacular but they didn't even mention it for a good 5 mins.

bad day for golf
  • Used to be on there apparently in the first draft, has been removed ages ago but the beeb had it all tied up

The sports minster who put it on there said he thought it would never be removed, apparently Wimbledon is only still on there because the lta wish it too as it provides a different audience to all other sports as it's one of the only events not on sky it gives it a pod
  • Sky to have exclusive coverage of next year's Open - a year earlier than the original agreement.
  • Funny how sport is followed by the masses. The BBC is funded by the masses. But they show SFA of mainstream live sport.
  • As someone without Sky Sports and so reliant on dodgy streams, that is a shame. However, after their treatment of the tournament this year BBC don’t deserve it. To delay final round coverage until 2pm so they could show reruns of Bargain Hunt was totally disgraceful. Sky Sports’ coverage is better in every way, from the graphics to the non-smugness of the presenters.
  • BBC say it is because of the financial constraints they are under.
  • Good no more Peter Alliss!!!!
  • what and Ewen Murray is better piss off, Ken Brown over any sky commentator.
  • what and Ewen Murray is better piss off, Ken Brown over any sky commentator.

Rich Beem is the best commentator on sky, he has been great on the US coverage.