Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Strange Place Names

edited March 2007 in Match Day Travel
just spotted a place in Northern Territory, Australia called Bing Bong. Made me laugh. Any others, especailly if you've been there.

Comments

• Pratts Bottom always works for me....
  • I used to work on an online mapping application and during the work on it we came across the following:

Shitlington Crags
    fanny barks
  • Best one i saw was the village of Ugley.

And it had a women's institute which was refused permission to vary it's name to the Women's institute of Ugley so was called "the Ugley womens institute"!
  • There's a place near Hastings called Ore and the medical centre there is Ore Clinic!
  • Have been to Muff, not sure if there was a diving club there. Donegal Ireland.
  • I always liked Badgers Mount down by 7oaks!
  • A place near Sandwich called Ham. They appear on the same roadside...
  • I'm sure there's a place called "Bell End" in Wales?

Oh, and Porkpie's favourite "Chorlton Cum Hardy"
  • There's an area of Cheltenham called "Charlton Kings" - always smile when I drive past the sign :o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Thong. Near Gravesend
  • There's a place called Loose (near Maidstone). I think they have a Womens Institute...
  • Paraparaumu..

Town my family are from in New Zealand
  • In Sandwich you also have "No name St"
  • [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]Have been to Muff, not sure if there was a diving club there. Donegal Ireland.

There's a Muff in Co Cavan Ireland too that me & my cousin's used to go to the annual fair. Used to make us laugh when we said we were off to the 'Fair 'n' Muff'.................well, we were young & in those days there wasn't much doing in Ireland.

I know someone who left these fair shores to live in Moosehead Canada. Always thought that was a wicked place to live!
  • [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]Pratts Bottom always works for me....

I was brought up in Pratts Bottom. The name is clearly funny but when you've grown up with it you kind of forget.

I remember my first job in the City. I was taken to lunch and with everybody crowded around, the inevitable question was asked. Suddenly all eyes were on me. I could suddenly feel myself blushing slightly'

"I live somewhere near Orpington"

"Where abouts?"

"between Orpington and Sevenoaks"

"What station do you come in from?"

"Knockholt"

(
    mild giggling
    )

"Where's it near?"

"Badgers Mount"

(
    louder tittering
    )

"Come on where exactly do you live"

"Oh all right then - Pratts Bottom"

(
    guffaws of laughter
    )

"Do you live up to your name?"

(
    more guffaws
    )

"Well" said I, "It depends where abouts you live in the village as to whether you are a Pratt or a Bottom"

(
    even more guffaws
    )

"Which are you?"

(
    stiffled laughter
    )

"Oh I'm a Bottom." I said

(
    hysterical laughter
    )

I dined out on that one for yonks.
  • i decided avoiding 'cock alley' when we played chesterfield.
  • On the way to the french alps just outside Albertville is "Pussy"
  • There's a street called 'whip-ma-whop-ma-gate' in York
  • edited March 2007
    I used to drive past a pub near Edenbridge somewhere called 'The cocks inn'
  • Sponsored links:

• I've been to the arse end of nowhere a few times, and have also been to Focking in belgium pronounced.. yep you guessed it fuc.ing!
  • Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu on the southern end of the North Island New Zealand. Its even longer thatn that welsh place.
  • what,cardiff?
  • edited March 2007
    There is this from somewhere in Norway:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Hell_norway_sign.jpg

Also this sign might raise a laugh or two:
    http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2776/3072/400/secretbunker.1.jpg
  • There used to be a "Grope C*nt Lane" in London somewhere - so called because it was where the laydeez of the night used to hang out.

(I'm serious - do a Google search if you don't believe me!)
  • That was the old name for Threadneedle Street wasn't it? (And threadneedle's also meant to be a euphemism apparently) Funnily enough they don't appear to mention this on the Bank of England website.
  • "cumledge". a small town in the scottish borders region.
    or a shelf in a knocking shop that needs wiping.
  • [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]There's an area of Cheltenham called "Charlton Kings" - always smile when I drive past the sign :o)

Yes - I've got a picture from many years ago of me standing next to the sign.
    Was in Orkney at the weekend, and drove past a house called Leaburn....!
  • Where my other half's grandparents live in Somerset

(must be said with a West Country accent) Peasdown Saint John
  • Fanny