Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Strange Place Names

Comments

• Options
    In Sheffield quite a few trams (and some buses) seem to go "Halfway" - which can confuse a few non-locals. Also near Sheffield there is a Packman Lane. It is reputed to have a ghost or two - though this is probably made up in the early 1980's due to a certain video game.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: CanadaAddick[/cite]Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu on the southern end of the North Island New Zealand. Its even longer thatn that welsh place.[/quote]

That's the place. Me and a mate of mine spent all day driving around looking for this place. In the end I drove too fast around a corner and rolled the car into a ditch. No joke.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CanadaAddick[/cite]Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu on the southern end of the North Island New Zealand. Its even longer thatn that welsh place.

Probably thinking of the "The Duke of Leeds" - pub in Wales - close to the M1.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
  • Options
    No but I was in Gaydon last week and I did quite like it
  • Options
    Used to go to a caravan place near Bleedon. My daughter was aged about 8 and she took great pleasure in saying things like "are we going to the bleedon shops" or " Going to the bleedon pub tonight dad"
  • Options
    For some years I worked with a bloke named Royston Fursey: always thought of him as a place rather than a person.
  • Options
    Inner Ting Tong, Budleigh Salterton
  • Options
    Village in North Yorkshire called Wetwang.
  • Options
    Ha ha road makes me laugh whenever I go past.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There's a place in Denmark called Middelfart (Christian Eriksen was born there).
  • Options
    We went past a beauty spot in N Yorkshire a few years ago called The Hole of Horcum.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    In Essex you can be an Ugly resident.
    And in Norfolk you can
    live in Great snoring or Little Soring (depending on your beer intake, I suppose).
  • Options
    Pack your bags, and make your way to Somerset, and I will lay
    Ten to one you'll wanna stay down in Nempnett Thrubwell.
    There's not a pub, there ain't a shop, you never see a traffic cop
    Drink up, and no-one says "stop", down in Nempnett Thrubwell.
  • Options
    In the states, there is a town called Intercourse, PA which is near the town of blue ball, PA
  • Options

In the states, there is a town called Intercourse, PA which is near the town of blue ball, PA

Very close to the town of Paradise, Pa.
  • Options
    limeygent said:

Very close to the town of Paradise, Pa.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwd4PyTyG1o
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    nothing beats the village of Fingringhoe in Essex. Though Titty Ho runs it close
  • Options
    Always have a titter at Wideopen in Northumberland.
  • Options
    Badgastien ski resort. Stinks
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In East Sussex, Upper Dicker and Lower Dicker. Always makes me smile.
  • Options
    Went to the Peak District the other week and saw two places...

Sheldon and LickPenny... (If your a fan of Big Bang)
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Always have a titter at Wideopen in Northumberland.

I believe there is also a Wideopen
    Dykes. Fnar fnar
  • Options
    On the way to The Hawthorns, just north of Bromsgrove. We've got a Lickey End here.
  • Options
    What about 'The dicker' 'Upper Dicker' and Lower Dicker' north of Eastbourne.
  • Options
    Being a Weller fan always like the small Surrey hamlet of Friday Street. 
  • Options
    Shitterton near Bere Regis in Dorset.
  • Options
    Littlehampton
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Littlehampton
    Surely, this should be on the "things that annoy you" thread  :)
  • Options
    There's a road in London called Cock Lane, which in itself isn't that unusual, but legend has it that it's haunted by a ghost called 'Scratching Fanny'.