Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The OS Fans Views - A Negativity Playground?

edited March 2010 in General Charlton
Just read this rubbish on the OS

Sorry Nicky
Author Alison Scrivener -Posted 29/03/2010 at 02:24 PM

Don't know what table you are looking at, but there is no way we will make automatic promorion now. We are 15 points behind Norwich and 4 behind Millwall who also have a much better goal difference. Neither of them have been losing much either lately. We need to focus on a playoff place before that slips out of our grasp as well

Comments

• maybe they wont publish this, but this was my response

"There is no way we will make automatic promotion now". Surely you arnt being serious or is this reverse psychology. We are actually only 3 behind Millwall and also 3 behind Leeds. We have games at home against teams at the top which will shape the finishing table. The only negative point is our goal difference which will be worth a point to either Leeds or Millwall. Forget Norwich they are up, but because Millwall havnt been losing lately doesnt mean a thing, there was a time earlier in the season when we wernt losing but that can change. Theres 24 points to play for and anyone in the play off picture has a chance of 2nd spot. Sorry, but this is such an unnecessarily negative post
  • The fans forum on the OS is a joke. Typical negative fan and the kind of ridiculous comments you get on there. I'll be surprised if you get your reply posted (although you're spot on by the way!) I'm sure it's only ever the same 3 people post on that site these days!...and they're probably all Acworth!
  • edited March 2010
    I think the post was in response to Nicky Forsters comments that the fans shouldnt stop believing and that he is confident we can still get automatic promotion.
    Great that the players believe that, if you havnt got belief whats the point. When certain people then post that sort of rubbish in response what message does that send out..im a little surprised they even published it cos its just breeding negativity on the OS fans views playground.

Just checked and seen that at least her comments are causing a backlash already ;-) I guess once she realises she was wrong she will claim she was trying to get the supporters to passionately respond, however this isnt a one off negative posting so thats no excuse
  • I'm surprised the club even allow a fans forum on the website considering the level of negativity on there at times. I suppose as long as the players believe we can get promoted. I honestly think us or Swindon might just sneak it ahead of Leeds or Millwall.
  • Disagree i think the poster is spot on, no way is it ridiculous, yes we may still have a chance for automatic but even and if we win all our games and Millwall or Swindon win all theirs they will get it.

Realistic point of view and a forum only works if you dont all conform to the same idea
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Disagree i think the poster is spot on, no way is it ridiculous, yes we may still have a chance for automatic but even and if we win all our games and Millwall or Swindon win all theirs they will get it.

Realistic point of view and a forum only works if you dont all conform to the same idea

True, but to say "there is no way we will make automatic promorion now" and that we won't make the Playoffs is slightly over the top.
  • I read the posts on there occasionally, same people every time just having a moan about Parky. Seem convinced that we have a brilliant team but Parky is a terrible manager and it's all his fault we're not walking the league. Could sign up and respond to them but it's probably not worth the effort.

Nick Gray one of the best examples
    Charlton should operate a seemless structure from youth team to reserve team to first team, all playing the same formation and style of football and adopting the same tactics.

That way you have a natural process of continuity and stability which lends itself to each team feeding on clued up, fit and ambitious players to the next level.

For some inexplicable reason, our directors chose to break that link some time ago, for reasons unexplained. It cannot have been due to finances, because just look at the money we have since wasted on the following loans;
    That's just part of it. Loan signings apparently "make my blood boil", not realising we can't just throw young players in when they aren't ready and expect them to keep us in the top 6.

He thinks Darren Ward was the only good loan signing we've made.

Many of them seem to be living in the past and their expectations are still for us to be a mid table Premier League side. So if we're not walking league one with our "stars" it's not good enough.
    Simultaneously, Leeds have picked up Sanchez Watt on loan, a nineteen year old forward and product of the Arsenal Academy, and, I suspect, with slightly more promise than the aforementioned Forster. Pathetic, really.
    And the reply to him, we get a proven player for a couple of months, Leeds panic and take a gamble on a young but probably raw Arsenal youngster.

Fact is loan players aren't the problem, bad players, players with the wrong attitude and loanees only looking to get fit are the problem. Good players that could potentially sign for us are fine.

Anyway back to the original post, we're only 3 points off so actually having a much better season than they expected. Get the feeling they're just waiting for us to fail in the play-offs so they can say they were right.
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Disagree i think the poster is spot on, no way is it ridiculous, yes we may still have a chance for automatic but even and if we win all our games and Millwall or Swindon win all theirs they will get it.

i agree you need to play devils advocate on forums and diversity so threads flourish, after all football is all about opinions but in this case she is factually incorrect by stating millwall are 4 points ahead and to say there is no chance of automatic promotion when theres 8 games left and only 3 points difference is absolute rubbish.
  • Lowest league we've been in during our history.

Not too long ago had the worst ever run of results in our history.

Lower than millwall for the first time in 14 years.

Smahed to pieces by millwall away.

Had TWO shots on target in our last TWO away games.

Failed to beat a side at home that hasnt won away all year.

Slowly slipping further and further down the league.

Come on man, is it really that surprising that people are being negative, of course there is a positive spin you could put on most things, but not everyone likes to convince themselves things are all OK.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]I read the posts on there occasionally, same people every time just having a moan about Parky. Seem convinced that we have a brilliant team but Parky is a terrible manager and it's all his fault we're not walking the league. Could sign up and respond to them but it's probably not worth the effort.

Nick Gray one of the best examples
    Charlton should operate a seemless structure from youth team to reserve team to first team, all playing the same formation and style of football and adopting the same tactics.

That way you have a natural process of continuity and stability which lends itself to each team feeding on clued up, fit and ambitious players to the next level.

To be fair that's not a bad idea - Ajax and Barcelona do it and it's not worked out too bad for them over the years!

As for Sanchez Watt, someone mentioned on here the other day that it was typical of the kind of loan signing we made under Pardew (Lee Cook, Scott Sinclair etc). I don't think he was even on the bench for them on Saturday and is 3rd choice behind Snodgrass and Gradel.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2010
    exactly STU and the fact that we have only finished outside the top 3 in the third tier twice in the last 75 years(copyright pbs) says it all .....
    these are tough times for charlton and coming so soon after being the so called 'example to all other clubs' in the premier league make the bitter pill all too hard to swallow
    we have to go up!!
  • [cite]Posted By: choice[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Disagree i think the poster is spot on, no way is it ridiculous, yes we may still have a chance for automatic but even and if we win all our games and Millwall or Swindon win all theirs they will get it.

i agree you need to play devils advocate on forums and diversity so threads flourish, after all football is all about opinions but in this case she is factually incorrect by stating millwall are 4 points ahead and to say there is no chance of automatic promotion when theres 8 games left and only 3 points difference is absolute rubbish.

your right she got her facts wrong but is spot on that we should lose focus on the playoff spot.

My response was mainly to the
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]The fans forum on the OS is a joke. Typical negative fan and the kind of ridiculous comments you get on there. !

i dont think we will get 2nd spot we needed to win the games between jan and feb to get that spot and we never, i am more in agreement with the points Stu makes than any other at the minute and that is based solely on the performance our team has given us, i am hopeful for a turn in form but only so that we go into those 3 potential games with an elemant of belief
  • edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]Lowest league we've been in during our history.

Not too long ago had the worst ever run of results in our history.

Lower than millwall for the first time in 14 years.

Smahed to pieces by millwall away.

Had TWO shots on target in our last TWO away games.

Failed to beat a side at home that hasnt won away all year.

Slowly slipping further and further down the league.

Come on man, is it really that surprising that people are being negative, of course there is a positive spin you could put on most things, but not everyone likes to convince themselves things are all OK.

wouldnt disagree with any of the above, as its fact..but i just think that at this stage everything is to play for and putting a positive spin on things is the only way to go with 8 games left and a very realistic chance of 2nd spot. we started the season with a great run, we can finish it with a great run. runs dont go on forever, millwall aint no arsenal or man utd, they will stumble eventually..I just dont see the point of posting something so negative right now on the OS, we all know we have been poor for a while this doesnt need to be highlighted, its sends out the wrong message to the easily influenced and this will result in 1.negativity and 2.more booing.

get behind the team until the fat lady sings and deal with the issues in the summer
  • [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]
    To be fair that's not a bad idea - Ajax and Barcelona do it and it's not worked out too bad for them over the years!
    I get the idea, it's just a bit of a fantasy, it doesn't really work like that for most clubs and it's not something you can just set up one day. With the problems we've had in recent years, the club have bigger things to work on and improve.

Ideally we could do that, but even if we did it wouldn't mean Wagstaff is ready to start every game, or Jack Clark could step in for Basey at left back. They might know the job and tactics better, but it wouldn't make them ready for the first team.
  • Agree with choice as well, it's not the time to be moaning and discussing the last 3 years over and over. Everyone knows how bad it's been, but we have a chance of automatic promotion, even if it is small. It's not that people pretend it hasn't happened, but moaning and booing won't improve things when we need to go on a good run.
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Realistic point of view and a forum only works if you dont all conform to the same idea
  • 6 responses so far to the original post on the OS and all very anti. the other problem with the fans views is that responses and posts are cherry picked and there is no interaction which makes it impossible for readers to get a widespread idea of peoples opinions, i guess at the end of the day the club will control what it wants to be seen and what it doesnt which was why it surprised me they published the post
  • [cite]Posted By: choice[/cite]I just dont see the point of posting something so negative right now on the OS

It's a board for peoples opinions, that's someones opinion, that's the point of posting it.

I'm not talking about negativity in the ground by the way. Not that it matters, a lot of our fans couldnt give a toss about getting behind the team inside the ground anyway, takes too much effort, singing is for yobs or some other silly reason like that and they're the positive ones!!!!!
  • Stu of HU5, you missed out the first ever defeat to non-league opposition. Agree that it's easy to see why there is negativity around. We can still make automatic but recent form shows it unlikely and two shots on goal in two away games highlights the problem as does the fact that a week before Millwall the coaches said beating Stockport 2-0 was ok as it's the points that matter, which they do, but if we'd stuffed 'em 5-0 as Millwall did we'd have gone into the Millwall game on a high instead of on the back of a dodgy performance against the League's worst team. At the moment there is more wrong with the side than there is right. If we carry on as we have for the next eight games the play-offs may even pass us by.
  • Never thought much of the people who post on my views, I remember someone saying back when we were in the Prem that we should try and take advantage of the Italian Match Fixing Scandal and sign Luca Toni. That would never of happened in a million years especially off the back of a World Cup win, just goes to show how unrealistic and idiotic some of the posters on there can be.
  • Sponsored links:

• Can't see that the original post was that negative, more a case of being realistic. Second place has been up for grabs for a while for any team that put a run together, Millwall have managed this, we've shown no signs of doing so - two points from the last nine says it all really. Millwall's run has to end sometime, but they are going in to the business end of the season on a high, whereas most of the rest bar Swindon maybe are floundering about. We'll probably get into the play-offs due to everybody else's inconsistencies but I don't see us storming up the table with a late run.
  • [cite]Posted By: Big William[/cite]but I don't see us storming up the table with a late run.
    Probably not, but no one saw us having the start we did either. Some even thought we'd be in another relegation battle.