Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Portsmouth Going Into Administration?

Comments

• Options
    HMRC say they are owed £11m and the club is insolvent.

If I was the Premier League, this would be an idea way to get down to 18 teams if Pompey go bust
  • Options
    Nail on head Henry, for the sake of the aesthetic completeness of the table and the avoidance of hearing platini and uefa howling with laughter, the PL are happy to persist with their arrogant inaction. They will neither help or condemn Portsmouth, instead just leave them and their poor fans and minor creditors to suffer.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]HMRC say they are owed £11m and the club is insolvent.

If I was the Premier League, this would be an idea way to get down to 18 teams if Pompey go bust

They could "find" some more evidence in the Tevez case and relagate West Ham as well and hey presto.
  • Options
    Agree with ISaw, Football as a whole chose to embark on the spend-a-thon of the last 20 years, football has got itself into this mess and football has to get itself out again. It's tough and I don't like saying it, especialy as a fan of the game who's team could be one of the one's that ends up going to the wall.

We do seem to be fast approaching Armegeddon - I can see us ending up with only three divisions of professional clubs by the time all the fun and games are over.

Danny Baker's totalitarian league may turn out to be prophecy rather than a bit of fun on a morning sports show.
  • Options
    Win a major Trophy
    Stay in the Premier League
    Spend virtually nothing on improving your ground
    Sell a bunch of players for a huge profit
    Get millions in TV renenue

and end up £60 Million in debt
  • Options
    At least Pompey have some good young players they can sell to raise money and have a nice new modern football stadium going for them..........................oh.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]At least Pompey have some good young players they can sell to raise money

Who, the Hermanator ....?
  • Options
    If Pompey were to go out of existence, which is very unlikely IMO, it could possibly result in 4 teams going up from League One this year, which would obviously be very relevant to us
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]If Pompey were to go out of existence, which is very unlikely IMO, it could possibly result in 4 teams going up from League One this year, which would obviously be very relevant to us

What if Southend and Stockport go bust?
  • Options
    All these clubs in trouble (including us) have been caught doing a Ridsdale, i.e., "chasing the dream" with other people's money - maybe one will go bust and great if it makes it 4 up but more likely only 2 get relegated?

If we get promoted and then challenge for championship playoffs I hope we will back the board in doing what Watford and others have done.... when you get to the Premier League take the Sky money and get relegated !!! Don't go buying 5 players for £3M each etc.

Incidentally Sky/Premier league should insist on relegation clauses written into the players contracts... the only people making money out of this are players and agents... great if they're winning but 50% cut if you get relegated!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]At least Pompey have some good young players they can sell to raise money

Who, the Hermanator ....?
    He's not happy at getting every club he's played for relegated, he's now putting them out of business....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]If Pompey were to go out of existence, which is very unlikely IMO, it could possibly result in 4 teams going up from League One this year, which would obviously be very relevant to us

What if Southend and Stockport go bust?

Then we're 6 points less on 51 points.

But then most of those clubs around us lose points also.
  • Options
    Sorry if this has been discussed, but what happens if Portsmouth beat Southampton in the FA Cup this weekend and then get put out of business next week?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Sorry if this has been discussed, but what happens if Portsmouth beat Southampton in the FA Cup this weekend and then get put out of business next week?

The FA Cup competition is completely abandoned - and the 1st round ties played again.

We're drawn against Northwich Victoria.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Sorry if this has been discussed, but what happens if Portsmouth beat Southampton in the FA Cup this weekend and then get put out of business next week?

The FA Cup competition is completely abandoned - and the 1st round ties played again.

We're drawn against Northwich Victoria who shock us with yet another 1-0 victory on national TV
    :)
  • Options
    they've just signed a player from Weder Bremen on a free transfer

can someone explain how they can do this when they haven't a pot to pi55 in & owe the taxman millions??????
  • Options
    Got a text last night saying they will be entering Admin in the next 24 hours. Same source as Pardew to Saints.
  • Options
    Surprised its not liquidation tbh. They are right in the clatty.
  • Options
    Apparenlty now asking Pl for permisiion to sell players outside the transfer window.
  • Options
    Ridiculous.

If they were given permission to SELL outside the transfer window, then clearly other clubs have to be given permission to BUY outside the window, rendering the whole system a mockery. And in any case, isn't the transfer window controlled by FIFA not the PL, so they're asking the wrong people, anyway?

Sounds like the last desperate gasp of a club that knows it's going under...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    From the report I read, it sounds like they need special dispensation from FIFA as well as the PL. That said, you're right that if there are rules, there are rules, and if permission is the given this time, you just know that there will be more.

It doesn't seem to be uncommon to hear speculation about challenges to the transfer window concept, but usually thought to be a player challenge. Perhaps a club with its back against the wall will result in the system being challenged in court?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Can-addick[/cite]From the report I read, it sounds like they need special dispensation from FIFA as well as the PL. That said, you're right that if there are rules, there are rules, and if permission is the given this time, you just know that there will be more.

It doesn't seem to be uncommon to hear speculation about challenges to the transfer window concept, but usually thought to be a player challenge. Perhaps a club with its back against the wall will result in the system being challenged in court?

Another thought on this ...... if they cancel a player's contract (mutual consent), then that player becomes a free agent.
    Players out of contract can sign for a new club outside the window, because regulations say they can.

Portsmouth would no doubt forfeit a transfer fee, but they could remove a high salary from the wage bill.
  • Options
    can they outright cancel a contract without comeback? if so surely players could just walkout anyway?
  • Options
    They may have permission to sell, but the buying club shouldn't have permission to buy. Like when we bought Hermann.
  • Options
    If I was a pompey fan I'd be praying for Administration right now - it will be nasty, for sure (as their friend Harry would say), but at least they'll have a club. It all sounds very desparate at the moment.
  • Options
    BBC site is reporting that 'FIFA look favourably on Portsmouth's request to sell players outside transfer window'
  • Options
    serious question here:

If football debts must be paid first does this include players? Would all their contracts have to be paid out?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nottsaddick[/cite]If I was a pompey fan I'd be praying for Administration right now - it will be nasty, for sure (as their friend Harry would say), but at least they'll have a club. It all sounds very desparate at the moment.

It's not administration they need to worry about - if they can't pay the 12m tax bill then it'll be liquidation.
  • Options
    would the taxman actually get anything tho after the football debts or does that not apply?
  • Options
    Looking grim. So they sell half a dozen or so players at a knockdown price if they can find clubs willing to buy and yet no be able to play them. Tides them over and pays a few bills but surely not enough to make them an attractive proposition to buy. Relegation is assured with even less income. I rekon that Pompey could be the first big club to go under. Hope for their fans sake I am wrong.