Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Portsmouth Going Into Administration?

Comments

• Options
    i wonder are the pompey fans as fearful as we were back in 1984... scary times
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i wonder are the pompey fans as fearful as we were back in 1984... scary times

Are they expecting a consignment of rubber to dock at Tilbury?
  • Options
    Decision delayed until 14:00 hrs
  • Options
    If HMRC thought they would have seen any of the offer they got last night, I suspect they would have biten Portsmouth hands off.

Could be a very big moment for the Premier League just after 2
  • Options
    decision now iminent... maybe they have been an allowed an adjournemt for 28 days to find the money and/or mayeb the lawyesrs have tried to find out what the consequences of admininstration.. goong into admin today??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rudders22[/cite]decision now iminent... maybe they have been an allowed an adjournemt for 28 days to find the money and/or mayeb the lawyesrs have tried to find out what the consequences of admininstration.. goong into admin today??

So, is it pretty much three options now?

Portsmouth are granted 28 days to get their act together
    Portsmouth go into administration (can they do this while the HMRC court hearing is going on?)
    Portsmouth are wound up and go into liquidation
  • Options
    they'll be an extension, no prem team will be allowed to go to the wall mid season.

The knock on effect would be too brutal
  • Options
    Meanwhile, Cardiff and Southend get an extra 28 days to sort things out.
  • Options
    tbh i dont really understand the situation in full but did i read that Pompey offered to pay the taxman 1.75m now and try and get an extension on paying the rest but this was refused?.....surely 1.75m is better than nothing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]tbh i dont really understand the situation in full but did i read that Pompey offered to pay the taxman 1.75m now and try and get an extension on paying the rest but this was refused?.....surely 1.75m is better than nothing.

They must think they can get more if they wind the club up. Not sure if they get some preferred creditor status if it is them doing the winding up but they might think player and land sales could get them at least that much.

There is also the wider picture. It will focus the minds of lots of the other football clubs who haven't been paying their tax bills

Which reminds me. VAT due at the end of the month.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Perhaps the tax man is a Soton fan...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]tbh i dont really understand the situation in full but did i read that Pompey offered to pay the taxman 1.75m now and try and get an extension on paying the rest but this was refused?.....surely 1.75m is better than nothing.

They must think they can get more if they wind the club up. Not sure if they get some preferred creditor status if it is them doing the winding up but they might think player and land sales could get them at least that much.

There is also the wider picture. It will focus the minds of lots of the other football clubs who haven't been paying their tax bills.
    Pour encourager les autres...
  • Options
    apparently there are two serious buyers in the wings

surely they can't let them crash & burn if that really is the case???
  • Options
    exactement
  • Options
    thats true ValleyGary.. trying to fathom all this out.... UK Customs are arguing and just announced in court that Pompey are insolvent. Pompey are areguing that they have 2 serious offers on the table to buy the club (mmmm hopefuly for them it is true) but who wants to buy a club that are probably in a bad debt than probably west ham?

I know there comes to a situatuib that a club or business gets to a point where there is NO WAY that the business can survie but surely they must allow them the opportunitiy to resort themselves out.... Its a mockery of football that assomeone said if every Premier players was take a 10% cut in their salary it would help other clubs.... There should be a Minister of Football or a Finance Director withing the League that is INDEPENDENT that has the rights to regularily check and audit football clubs books and there should be a "loan" facility from Premier League to assist clubs

HMRC are saying the club oew £11 million in tax debts !!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

There is also the wider picture. It will focus the minds of lots of the other football clubs who haven't been paying their tax bills.
    Pour encourager les autres...
    Anyone speak Spanish...?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rudders22[/cite]Pompey are areguing that they have 2 serious offers on the table to buy the club

The Sky News article states "Chainrai is the club's fourth owner this year, following Alaxandre Gaydamak, Sulaiman Al Fahim and Ali Al Faraj.". If none of them have managed to sort out the financial mess at the club, why would HMRC believe that either of these two potential new owners would be able to?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rudders22[/cite]thats true ValleyGary.. trying to fathom all this out.... UK Customs are arguing and just announced in court that Pompey are insolvent. Pompey are areguing that they have 2 serious offers on the table to buy the club (mmmm hopefuly for them it is true) but who wants to buy a club that are probably in a bad debt than probably west ham?

I know there comes to a situatuib that a club or business gets to a point where there is NO WAY that the business can survie but surely they must allow them the opportunitiy to resort themselves out.... Its a mockery of football that assomeone said if every Premier players was take a 10% cut in their salary it would help other clubs.... There should be a Minister of Football or a Finance Director withing the League that is INDEPENDENT that has the rights to regularily check and audit football clubs books and there should be a "loan" facility from Premier League to assist clubs

HMRC are saying the club oew £11 million in tax debts !!

Look whats happened at West Ham when Sullivan suggested they take the 10% cut...........teddy's oot.

Adjournment for 7 days.

The poor fans
  • Options
    Yesp 7 days.. strange only 7 days??
  • Options
    shows they are fooked, the Court doesn't even want to give them the normal 28 days leave

if Pompey were using these two apparent "bids" to play for time, they'd better hope that they materialise now
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They have already had 4 owners this season, are HMRC going to believe there are viable buyers in the wings. I don't want to see Pompey or any other club go under, but, there comes a time when someone has to act and in Pompeys case they have been in this mess for months with no suggestion they are going to get out of it. Currently they have Premiership money coming in and can't survive financially what is going to happen when they are relegated ?
  • Options
    I wonder if the Prem League would give PFC a bridging loan.

As said can't be in there interest to see a club go under or even go into admin (which is what I guess Pompey will be in about 6 days time) but maybe they don't want to set a precedent or just don't have access to that much ready money.
  • Options
    Exactly Sparrows Lane !!
  • Options
    It has to be dealt with now, the Premier League cannot just pass the buck on to the Football League.

Portsmouth will be relegated and if there is no buyer in place by the time that happens, they will implode, forget administration, they will just melt away and AFC Portsmouth will take their place at the bottom of the ladder.
  • Options
    The taxman knows football clubs have a history of this, why do they still allow it to happen? Why allow them to acrue such massive tax debts in the first place...?

I have to pay mine up immediately...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Henry I don't think the PL have the money, they would have to use club money, but what club, a lot are struggling themselves at the moment - Man U and Liverpool's well documented problems, tight ship at Burnley, chaos at Hull etc., are going to put money into a "rival" with no reasonable prospect of return. The PL have to face up to the fact that the dream has died and unless they cannot produce the goods in 7 days, remove Portsmouth (unless the court feels administration is actually worthwhile, which at the moment seems unlikely perhaps given the level of liability and lack of assets). There can't just be extension after extension for the good of the league.
  • Options
    Back in court next friday now.
  • Options
    And if they do go out of business, what happens to promotion and relegation at the end of the season?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]And if they do go out of business, what happens to promotion and relegation at the end of the season?

All teams lose their points from Portsmouth (or receive 6 points extra) and the bottom two go down I'd imagine.

In a nutshell, Liverpool would currently be 3rd and West Ham rock bottom.
  • Options
    good points ISaw, shame that they is really no collective interest from the Prem clubs but then again if there was they wouldn't have formed the Prem league in the first place.