Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old Charlton related photos

Comments

• Options
    Was 16 at the time and in the North Bank. A fairly lively afternoon.
    We took the North Bank
    We took the North Bank
    We took the North Bank Highbury. 
  • Options
    1969 was when I first went to watch Charlton. 
  • Options
    You missed all the fun at Palace and Highbury then.😎
  • Options
    The Mercury cover I have is in a really bad state and the words are quite hard to read from my photos.  I'll try again tomorrow in daylight to see if I can capture it better.  The team is listed as per @Lewis Coaches .  My memory of the game is the dramatic closing first half where Charlton put in block after block - with several injuries resulting. 

My memory 

• Options
    The Mercury cover I have is in a really bad state and the words are quite hard to read from my photos.  I'll try again tomorrow in daylight to see if I can capture it better.  The team is listed as per @Lewis Coaches .  My memory of the game is the dramatic closing first half where Charlton put in block after block - with several injuries resulting. 

My memory 

Glad to see I can still recognize what was and still is my favorite Charlton Squad.

cheers @Raith
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    great pics and never seen them before 
    I didn't even know the Supporters Gazzettes existed until two weeks ago when I found two photocopies of issues 1 & 6 in a pile of mouldy papers the museum inherited from Colin Cameron years ago and had been dumped in a cupboard to be sorted at some future date.

Then found out another trustee had issues 2, 3, 4, 5.

Some other good pics I've given to MOD magazine 
    You received mouldy papers from Colin Cameron or the mould collected while sitting in the cupboard. 
    Colin passed away in 2012 , that’s a long time to be dumped in a cupboard.

• Options
    stonemuse said:
    great pics and never seen them before 
    I didn't even know the Supporters Gazzettes existed until two weeks ago when I found two photocopies of issues 1 & 6 in a pile of mouldy papers the museum inherited from Colin Cameron years ago and had been dumped in a cupboard to be sorted at some future date.

Then found out another trustee had issues 2, 3, 4, 5.

Some other good pics I've given to MOD magazine 
    You received mouldy papers from Colin Cameron or the mould collected while sitting in the cupboard. 
    Colin passed away in 2012 , that’s a long time to be dumped in a cupboard.

What a great character he was, always had a cheerful disposition (unless the Addicks lost that is).
    Much missed by his many friends, family and countless Addicks.
  • Options
    I would have loved to gone to that game, didn’t really start going until later on that year.
  • Options
    Some interesting pictures re  the Arsenal cup tie, we played in all red in 1968-9, in league games at least, don't know why they put on the white ones for the photoshoot. Maybe the red ones were in the wash.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was there with my dad and my brother.

Amazing atmosphere. I remember that Matt Tees gave the Arsenal Scottish international Ian Ure a very tough game.
  • Options
    It was an exciting period as we'd beaten Palace away 0-2 in the FA cup replay on the 8th January, beat Blackpool 2-3 away on the 11th and beat Brian Clough's Derby 2-0 at home on the 18th (Treacy/Tees goals) - and still had the Arsenal game to look forward to.  

The Derby report appears in the same edition of the Mercury as the Arsenal preview.  It doesn't quite match up to my memory though.  It is possible my rose tinted glasses got rosier over the years. 
  • Options
    Some interesting pictures re  the Arsenal cup tie, we played in all red in 1968-9, in league games at least, don't know why they put on the white ones for the photoshoot. Maybe the red ones were in the wash.
    As stated above, all red was the next season. 
  • Options
    It was an exciting period as we'd beaten Palace away 0-2 in the FA cup replay on the 8th January, beat Blackpool 2-3 away on the 11th and beat Brian Clough's Derby 2-0 at home on the 18th (Treacy/Tees goals) - and still had the Arsenal game to look forward to.  

The Derby report appears in the same edition of the Mercury as the Arsenal preview.  It doesn't quite match up to my memory though.  It is possible my rose tinted glasses got rosier over the years. 
    Nowadays I can't remember much about the game other than Ray Treacy's goal! My dad and I were standing half way up the East terrace level with the centre circle, so the TV gantry must have been up behind us.
  • Options

Nowadays I can't remember much about the game other than Ray Treacy's goal! My dad and I were standing half way up the East terrace level with the centre circle, so the TV gantry must have been up behind us.
    My Dad and I were just to the left of you.

As I was saying ... I thought we murdered them - evidentally not.

• Options

That was a few weeks before my first game (55 years and a day, last Saturday, vs Carlisle oddly enough).

https://youtu.be/iuF-4449eVc?si=WafyNWZ2jWWhnfBj
  • Options
    We definitely played in an all red strip in the 1968/69 season.
  • Options
    There's only one way to resolve this. Makro's car park - zimmer frames at dawn.
  • Options
    Mametz said:
    We definitely played in an all red strip in the 1968/69 season.
    Yes we did. Check out the 68/69 Charlton Derby match on YouTube. Ok it's black and white, but shorts match shirts!
  • Options
    Another feature in that Mercury was of the original Arsenal team who played at Plumstead.  

The thing that caught my eye was the team photo - I'd love to see the next Charlton team shot adopt the same poses.  The photo screams superiority.  We are better than you, we are not afraid, we are relaxed and we're really not bothered about looking at the camera - we're well hard,

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Great sleuthing, but just looks earlier in the season than November to me.

You can see loads of short sleeves and the pitch is pristine, both of which points to earlier in the season.
    The pitch has a good few brown patches in the goalmouth and on the darker green strip where the nearest white shirted player is leaning forward. 

If anyone is good at Sun positions we might get a clue from the length and  direction of the shadow...

My reticence about this being that game is more around whether that small terrace would have been used in a crowd of 22k...

Judging by the shade in the covered end from the roof and the length of the shadows, the sun is fairly high. I would suggest it’s late summer.
    Also plenty of leaves on the trees in the background, not winter weather 
  • Options
    I remember both the Arsenal and Derby games. I went to the former with my father and the Derby game was featured on The Big Match. It was such an important win in front of a big crowd. Ray Treacy was a fine player. 

• Options
    edited March 16

I had/have this photo in a scrap book and it's my first memory of supporting Charlton.

As a young kid I always wondered why the players were sitting on a cannon. I didn't know about the Arsenal game, nor that they were "The Gunners/Gooners". 

It's taken over 50 years for me to understand. (Not that I've thought about it for probably 49 years). 

• Options
    Another feature in that Mercury was of the original Arsenal team who played at Plumstead.  

The thing that caught my eye was the team photo - I'd love to see the next Charlton team shot adopt the same poses.  The photo screams superiority.  We are better than you, we are not afraid, we are relaxed and we're really not bothered about looking at the camera - we're well hard,

There's an app now where you can change them all to happy smiley faces.
  • Options

Those moustaches wouldn’t have looked out of place in Frankie goes to Hollywood. 
  • Options

Those moustaches wouldn’t have looked out of place in Frankie goes to Hollywood. 
    Or a 90s Australian test match team
  • Options
    I'm guessing that Derek Hales had something to do with the goalie John Osbourne being laid out.  It seems that Brown, Wile, Robertson and Mulligan are not amused.  Keith Peacock minding his own business ....

Why do the WBA players all look the same?  
  • Options
    not sure why but i remember that game as being when i realised what a great goalscorer hales was
  • Options
    Looks like Peacock wants to join WBA.
  • Options
    I remember Keith Peacock hilariously saying that he was the nearest Charlton player to the Flanagan Hales punch up, but the last one arriving to separate them.