Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2024

Comments

• Options
    Dawson being there would certainly help the balance of the side.
  • Options
    Who's up at 4am tomorrow then ?  I pay £20pm for TNT Sports so I like to get my money's worth but I think I might be struggling with this one. 

So maybe up for 7ish for the afternoon and evening sessions. 
    Set your alarm for 6.30, 10mins to make a coffee ahead of the 6.40 afternoon session. 

Tempted to get up for first ball, listen to first session and get to office for 6.40. 

• Options
    Well Stokes is fit to play but whether he can bowl remains to be seen. If he can't then our only seam option is someone who can probably only bowl in 4/5 over spells. 

1. Zak Crawley
    2. Ben Duckett
    3. Ollie Pope
    4. Joe Root
    5. Jonny Bairstow
    6. Ben Stokes (C)
    7. Ben Foakes
    8. Rehan Ahmed
    9. Tom Hartley
    10. Mark Wood
    11. Jack Leach
    Stokes can't be fit to bowl surely.
    What's the problem with our other seam options then?
    I don't think that there is a problem. We just seem fixated on the fact that it will be a waste of having more than one, so much so that I could see us opening with two spinners and only Wood's express pace in short bursts as and when. Now whether having two rookie spinners instead of one plus another experienced seamer remains to be seen. India, on the other hand, can afford to have Ashwin and Jadeja, with their 500 plus wickets between them at 21 apiece since 2012,  plus two front line seamers. 
    Interesting. Can't see us going in with only one seamer.
    Root will bowl a lot of overs across the five tests.
  • Options
    Dawson being there would certainly help the balance of the side.
    I think that there has probably been an acceptance from Key/McCullum/Stokes about Dawson. This was "dressed up" by Key saying that Dawson wouldn't want to be 15th or 16th man and that Hartley will be much more of a handful than Dawson in Indian conditions. He even said that we should ignore CC successes when assessing the impact of each, a narrative probably designed to justify the selection of 24 year old Hartley with his 40 FC wickets and for that matter 18 year old Rehan Ahmed and his 24 FC wickets. 

The facts are that Dawson is not centrally contracted and is able to, with his experience at his age (34 in March), play franchise cricket that will earn him more than "potentially" playing for England. His SA20 contract, for example, is believed to be in the region of £150,000-£200,000, greater than around £100,000 from match and tour fees were he to play all five Tests in India. Dawson turned down England’s white-ball tour of Bangladesh to play in the Pakistan Super League and that was probably indicative of where he and his cricket is at. The India tour would have been a short-term Test return and Key will know that Dawson probably doesn't wish to jeopardise his longer-term relationship with his South African franchise by leaving that competition early.
  • Options
    Who's up at 4am tomorrow then ?  I pay £20pm for TNT Sports so I like to get my money's worth but I think I might be struggling with this one. 

So maybe up for 7ish for the afternoon and evening sessions. 
    I'll record it and watch it all when I get up.
  • Options
    If Dawson had been called up instead of Moeen last summer, maybe he wouldn't have burned bridges with England. 

Instead we went with Moeen who retired again from Test cricket anyway.
  • Options
    Well Stokes is fit to play but whether he can bowl remains to be seen. If he can't then our only seam option is someone who can probably only bowl in 4/5 over spells. 

1. Zak Crawley
    2. Ben Duckett
    3. Ollie Pope
    4. Joe Root
    5. Jonny Bairstow
    6. Ben Stokes (C)
    7. Ben Foakes
    8. Rehan Ahmed
    9. Tom Hartley
    10. Mark Wood
    11. Jack Leach
    Stokes can't be fit to bowl surely.
    What's the problem with our other seam options then?
    I don't think that there is a problem. We just seem fixated on the fact that it will be a waste of having more than one, so much so that I could see us opening with two spinners and only Wood's express pace in short bursts as and when. Now whether having two rookie spinners instead of one plus another experienced seamer remains to be seen. India, on the other hand, can afford to have Ashwin and Jadeja, with their 500 plus wickets between them at 21 apiece since 2012,  plus two front line seamers. 
    Interesting. Can't see us going in with only one seamer.
    Root will bowl a lot of overs across the five tests.
    I didn't realise that England had already confirmed that XI.
    Four spin options and one seamer. Not exactly what you'd term a balanced attack. Hope they've read the pitch right.
  • Options
    If Dawson had been called up instead of Moeen last summer, maybe he wouldn't have burned bridges with England. 

Instead we went with Moeen who retired again from Test cricket anyway.
    And maybe Dawson might then have been given a central contract this year. Can't blame him for looking at someone like Rehan Ahmed who has done relatively nothing in the game with an underpin of around £500k and thinking that he needs to cement relationships elsewhere if he is going to earn the most that he can with so few years left as a pro. 
  • Options
    England win the toss and will bat first.
  • Options
    19-0 after 3 overs

Crawley 9 (11)
    Duckett 10 (7)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    31-0 after 6 overs

Crawley 15 (17)
    Duckett 15 (20)
  • Options
    When I saw the team yesterday I realised this is going to be a long series for England. That bowling attack of 2 rookie spinners, 1 bog standard experienced spinner, and an erratic paceman... against one of the strongest batting lineups on their own fortress.

Supported by a batting lineup that likes to throw away their wickets recklessly in clusters.

Absolutely no chance.
  • Options
    41-0 after 9 overs

Crawley 16 (28)
    Duckett 23 (27)

Spinners on now, going to be a trickier period if that Jadeja over was a sign of things to come.
  • Options
    edited January 25
    55-1

Duckett 35 (39) lbw Ashwin

Duckett reviewed it but decision stands on umpire’s call. Clipping the top of leg stump.
  • Options
    Drinks break.

58-1 after 14 overs

Crawley 20 (39)
    Pope 1 (7)
  • Options
    edited January 25
    58-2

Pope 1 (11) caught at slip off Jadeja.
  • Options
    India send an lbw review against Root to DRS but he got a faint edge on it. Jadeja disappointed.
  • Options
    edited January 25
    60-3

Crawley 20 (40) caught at mid off driving Ashwin
  • Options
    76-3 after 19 overs

Bairstow 14 (17)
    Root 4 (8)
  • Options
    Was hoping for a slightly better score. Missed first ball. Ignored alarm. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    100 up for England in the 26th over

100-3

Bairstow 25 (33)
    Root 17 (31)
  • Options
    edited January 25
    End of morning session on day 1…

108-3 after 28 overs

Bairstow 32 (44)
    Root 18 (35)
  • Options
    A good recovery act from the Yorkshire pair after a mid session wobble where England lost three wickets for five runs.

55-0 -> 60-3 -> 108-3
  • Options
    121-4

Bairstow bowled by a beauty from Patel for 37 (58)
  • Options
    And Root rapidly follows - top edge playing a sweep to Jadeja and is caught at short fine leg for 29 (59)

125-5
  • Options
    Foakes caught behind off Patel for 4 (24)

137-6
  • Options
    One thing is clear. Bazball hasn't made it to India. 
  • Options
    Decided we will lose every game so not going to watch. Australian Open for me.
  • Options
    The way we are batting anyone would think we had no warm up games.

Oh hang on
  • Options
    The first 8 overs were seam and we were 41-0. The next 37 overs have been spin off which we made 101-6.